A question addressed to all current and legacy residents of The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 05-14-2021, 06:09 PM
Default A question addressed to all current and legacy residents of The Villages

I am in the process of obtaining a loft (a.k.a. an apartment) residence within The Villages complex. I am a recent retired single (long divorced) person that once lived in a community located “up north”.

I understand the fact that there are a number of events and activities available at The Villages so any new comer who does not have any residencies they personally know or know of can make friends with these people. The posts I read within these online forums, as well as the many countless video programs I find via YouTube emphasis these facts!

My questions are as follows. Once I take hold as a permanent resident, will I have to get out to the events and activities in order to make these friends (or at least make acquaintances), or will people approach me in order to make their presence known to me? Is there a welcome wagon-esque group that exists who seek out newly established move-ins to let those know who they are and/or what events are at their disposal?

I have lived in neighborhoods in my recent past where I would live next door to somebody (a family or even an individual) where I would never speak to them, let alone know that they even exist. Granted, I never knew the motives to their lack or friendliness and vice versa. However, since most (all?) people dwelling within The Villages domains (I won’t use the term “bubble” since that creates an illusion that people who state they live in a said bubble refuse to acknowledge an outside domestic society that is far removed from their needs and personal standards) are in a stage of “retirement” (whatever “retirement” means), and are no longer raising families, hold full and even part-time jobs, and are not tied down to other related duties and responsibilities. Thus, they now have the time to make friends and to pursue other hobbies and activities where friendship can grow in an organic mode. But if I don’t seek out any such outside activities and limit myself to actions that may take place outside of The Villages airspace, will I still remain as a single person who is on my own with not even knowing who is living right next door to me?

I would appreciate it if people can speak out to these inquiries so I will know what to expect. As of this writing, I have yet to complete my relocation process. So if anyone does hold the desire to invite me to an athletic game, a barbecue, a group dinner meeting, etc., I won’t be able to take part in any event or meeting right away. I am moving some 1500 miles (give or take) from my formal residence location, so please allow me to get my barrings in order first, so to speak!

Thanks again to all!

Pat
Old 05-14-2021, 06:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,506 Times in 3,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbyPye View Post
I am in the process of obtaining a loft (a.k.a. an apartment) residence within The Villages complex. I am a recent retired single (long divorced) person that once lived in a community located “up north”.

I understand the fact that there are a number of events and activities available at The Villages so any new comer who does not have any residencies they personally know or know of can make friends with these people. The posts I read within these online forums, as well as the many countless video programs I find via YouTube emphasis these facts!

My questions are as follows. Once I take hold as a permanent resident, will I have to get out to the events and activities in order to make these friends (or at least make acquaintances), or will people approach me in order to make their presence known to me? Is there a welcome wagon-esque group that exists who seek out newly established move-ins to let those know who they are and/or what events are at their disposal?

I have lived in neighborhoods in my recent past where I would live next door to somebody (a family or even an individual) where I would never speak to them, let alone know that they even exist. Granted, I never knew the motives to their lack or friendliness and vice versa. However, since most (all?) people dwelling within The Villages domains (I won’t use the term “bubble” since that creates an illusion that people who state they live in a said bubble refuse to acknowledge an outside domestic society that is far removed from their needs and personal standards) are in a stage of “retirement” (whatever “retirement” means), and are no longer raising families, hold full and even part-time jobs, and are not tied down to other related duties and responsibilities. Thus, they now have the time to make friends and to pursue other hobbies and activities where friendship can grow in an organic mode. But if I don’t seek out any such outside activities and limit myself to actions that may take place outside of The Villages airspace, will I still remain as a single person who is on my own with not even knowing who is living right next door to me?

I would appreciate it if people can speak out to these inquiries so I will know what to expect. As of this writing, I have yet to complete my relocation process. So if anyone does hold the desire to invite me to an athletic game, a barbecue, a group dinner meeting, etc., I won’t be able to take part in any event or meeting right away. I am moving some 1500 miles (give or take) from my formal residence location, so please allow me to get my barrings in order first, so to speak!

Thanks again to all!

Pat
It really depends on the neighborhood. Because the Villages is so ENORMOUS, there is no singular group given responsibility to ensure that new residents are properly greeted. That's 70 square miles of residences. I imagine that people won't be lining up at your door to tell you all about their activities, but you'll probably have a few folks in your building say "hello, welcome to the building, we're having a picnic next Thursday and you're welcome to come, pot luck but we have enough people bringing desserts, thanks."

In my neighborhood, we have a handful of women who had been getting together once every month for lunch at a restaurant. When I moved in, one of the women came by to tell me about it, and ensure that I was absolutely welcome to come as well. We also have driveway parties and if you know about it, you're invited. In other words - if you are in the neighborhood and driving past on the way to the golf course, you're invited to stop and say hello. Those are always BYOB.

There's another person who lives closer to the country club, who randomly sets out hotdogs, chips, and a bottle of water for ANYONE who shows up. They're just very friendly people and love meeting new folks, and this is their way of doing it.

In some other neighborhoods people keep mostly to themselves, or form friendships with just their next-door neighbors and the person across the street. And in others, they have organized get togethers at the local rec center grounds with cookouts and music, and everyone on the block is invited.
Old 05-14-2021, 06:43 PM

Hi Pat,
I just moved to TV literally a month ago. All of my surrounding neighbors came over to say hello, introduce themselves, etc. and I have found my neighborhood to be very friendly. In fact, I met one of my neighbors even before I moved here when I was just here with the Realtor doing an inspection.

You do need to make an effort if you want to get involved in different things; however, I've found it to be very easy and people very friendly. Once you move here, you'll have a brief orientation where they take your photo, give you your card, etc., etc. You'll need the card whenever you participate in anything.

Every week there's an activities paper that can be picked up at any of the numerous rec centers. You can also access the activities on-line. Basically, pretty much anything you want to do is here. They also have beginners lessons for things like pickleball (which I'm going to do shortly).

I think you'll find it's pretty easy to get to know people here; anyway, I've found that to be the case. I'm in a neighborhood up by Spanish Springs (El Cortez gate by Chula Vista) and I really like this neighborhood -- couldn't ask for better or friendlier neighbors. If you're moving to a loft, you'll probably meet other residents there immediately.

I think the TV is a retirement community where people expect to have fun, expect to meet new people and go out of their way to be friendly and welcoming. I personally love TV and glad I made the move. Note: as for all the activities, you can go on line to the villages website and use the calendar to find activities. When you click on them it will provide the name and phone number of a contact person for that event. Depending where "up north" you're coming from, there's also a few clubs from specific states.

Hope this information helps. When you get here, you can send me a private message through this site if you want and I'm more than willing to share what I know (although that's probably not too much right now -- "I don't even know what I don't know yet" - LOL -- but, learning!).
Old 05-14-2021, 08:49 PM
Veteran member
Default Living in a loft

Hi and welcome! I don't think many responders can relate directly to your circumstance. A very, very small % of Villagers live in an apartment, and I expect that apartment living does not lend itself to your neighbors stopping by and introducing themselves as much as living in a neghborhood would. So, my suggestion would be for you to do your due diligence on clubs and activities that interest you (available in the weekly Rec News available thru the Daily Sun and at every Rec Center) or thru the districtgov.org website. Then get out and try them out. I have heard of a relatively small number of people who moved here and never felt part of the community and were bored. I believe that's because they didn't try very hard to find activities that were of interest to them, and therefore never met people who could have become friends. This is all pretty much opinion on my part, but as Randy Newman sings in the "Monk" theme song, "I could be wrong now, but I don't think so." Good luck!
Old 05-15-2021, 08:36 AM

The apartments in the Villages have common areas and I suspect "get to know your neighbor" events . They also have their own pool and that would be a good way to meet neighbors. I live in a condo up north and when we moved it we met neighbors in the hallway. And they had a monthly get togethers in our common room. It did not take long to know them. As others have mentioned, find an activity your like and show up. I have found I was welcomed as a newcomer. I lead an activity (lawn bowls) during the season, and if anyone stops by to see what the heck we are doing I run over and give them a short description and invite them to play (we take beginners all the time). I suspect this is true of most activities. And there is a singles club in the Villages, and they arrange social gatherings for their members.
Old 05-15-2021, 02:20 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts

"legacy resident"?
Old 05-15-2021, 04:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
"legacy resident"?
Someone whose folks lived here.
Old 05-15-2021, 08:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

OP, in my humble opinion, you may need to take the initiative. For example are there any sports or hobbies you like, go to these or find the clubs involved. I happen to like bowling, ended up in 6 leagues with a lot of friends, I am going to try golf for a couple of days a week so i will cut back on bowling. my wife has gotten into several arts and crafts clubs as well as a woman's gold league. There are lots of things to do.

Tags
make, people, villages, activities, hold

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.