questions about Stonecrest

Closed Thread
Old 12-09-2012, 05:13 PM

Comming down next month and this trip checking out Stone Crest and other places on this trip. We are not into golf and will have our own pool where ever we decide. To me at times the villages seem to congested but a very nice place to live. I have seen some places offer cable and grass cutting with their HOA? HOA always goes up no matter where you live.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:27 PM

I have lived in TV since 2005. Even though I'm not quite of retirement age and still have to work, I love having access to all of the activities, recreation centers, etc.

Stonecrest is a very nice community, but you are basically buying what you probably have back home. A nice house, a country club, and a few golf courses. You have decide what you are looking for.

Are you looking for the opportunity to explore new hobbies and interests, then TV is where you want to be. If you are just looking for a house then Stonecrest will work just fine.

You do still have the ability to enjoy all of our festivals, car shows, and even some of our entertainment. The only things you cannot do is join our clubs and go to Katie Belle's (the Villages Resident only restaurant).

Decide what you are looking for. Me, I wanted someplace that would have things that made me want to get out and get involved. I could have stayed in Ohio and lived in a nice house with a country club (albeit also snow) but here I want to get out and get involved. Every day I talk to someone new that is doing something I always wanted to try.

So decision is yours. Just bye where you want to spend your time.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyeinfl View Post
I have lived in TV since 2005. Even though I'm not quite of retirement age and still have to work, I love having access to all of the activities, recreation centers, etc.

Stonecrest is a very nice community, but you are basically buying what you probably have back home. A nice house, a country club, and a few golf courses. You have decide what you are looking for.

Are you looking for the opportunity to explore new hobbies and interests, then TV is where you want to be. If you are just looking for a house then Stonecrest will work just fine.

You do still have the ability to enjoy all of our festivals, car shows, and even some of our entertainment. The only things you cannot do is join our clubs and go to Katie Belle's (the Villages Resident only restaurant).

Decide what you are looking for. Me, I wanted someplace that would have things that made me want to get out and get involved. I could have stayed in Ohio and lived in a nice house with a country club (albeit also snow) but here I want to get out and get involved. Every day I talk to someone new that is doing something I always wanted to try.

Excellent post.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 12-21-2012, 04:52 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,310 Times in 544 Posts

Buckeyeinfl: Nice critique of TV and what how one can get involved during retirement years. You hit the nail on the head----if you are looking for an active lifestyle, then TV is the place to be. Absolutely nothing wrong with Stonecrest. In fact, probably more square feet per dollar in a Stonecrest home but not quite the same amenities as TV. Hey, as they say, different strokes for different folks!
Old 12-21-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyeinfl View Post

Stonecrest actually has around 50 different clubs/activities to involve yourself in. So along with a nice home, great clubhouse, gym, theatre and indoor pool, Stonecrest too is a great choice. This whole area is wonderful and convenient to so many things.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:37 PM

Sorry. I like solitude. I love sitting by my own pool with a good book. I don't want to hear the neighbors' TV or breakfast conversation. I don't want to know about everyone else. To me, it seems there are a bunch of old people trying not to be old. I look at the old ladies with the over- done makeup and the chunky jewelry to hide the wrinkled necks and it looks so sad. It's nice to have activities available but it isn't necessary to run around and pretend you are 18 again. The Villages just isn't for me. A nice to visit but I don't want to live there
Old 03-27-2013, 12:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginmato View Post
Sorry. I like solitude. I love sitting by my own pool with a good book. I don't want to hear the neighbors' TV or breakfast conversation. I don't want to know about everyone else. To me, it seems there are a bunch of old people trying not to be old. I look at the old ladies with the over- done makeup and the chunky jewelry to hide the wrinkled necks and it looks so sad. It's nice to have activities available but it isn't necessary to run around and pretend you are 18 again. The Villages just isn't for me. A nice to visit but I don't want to live there
Welcome to TOTV. Such a positive 3rd post.
BTW what does this have to do with Stonecrest and a thread nearly two years old?
Old 03-27-2013, 01:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Please don't come and buy here. You will be so unhappy.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:29 PM
Sage

And isn't it a good thing that there is a seat for every butt! Glad you are enjoying your retirement Ginmato with solitude. We are actually going to the mountains for a month in the summer to escape the heat and enjoy some of that solitude as well. An opportunity to let the dogs run loose and to enjoy my coffee on the deck in pj's with no neighbors to offend. Quiet and nature to enjoy for a short time then back to living the lifestyle. We are so lucky in the country to have these options.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:29 PM

Stonecrest is a nice community and so is The Villages. It all depends on what you are looking for.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:45 PM
Sage
Default A Viewpoint

I agree that in Stonecrest, you can buy more house for the same amount of money. If solitude is yout thing, it is right for you. To each his/her own.

I think I can safely say that most people prefer to be out and about with their peers having fun. I am so glad that I saw TV first, because in my humble opinion, once you see TV you will never be the same. So much or little as one wants to do, in such a beautiful setting.

My mother's generation tended to live longer beacuse they were brought up without radio or television and they valued the social interaction of their neighbors. Anytime I want to be alone, I can curl up on the sofa and read a book.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 03-28-2013, 08:01 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
One can enjoy solitude in the Villages if that is what they are looking for. Personally I enjoy my solitude and quiet time occasionally, but like the option to get out and mingle with upbeat and happy seniors, who make up TV. If that means some of those seniors are trying to regain their youth - I say GOOD FOR THEM. If you choose to grow old and act your age, fine for you! Everyone is entitled to live their life the way they choose so long as they don't interfere with others' right to happiness. I recall a saying I heard long ago - "I would rather spend time around people who are pretending to be positive, than those who are genuinely negative. I say Good on ya, to those women -and men - running around pretending to be eighteen again. They seem quite happy, while, unfortunately, you seem a bit sad.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:41 PM

I've been told one difference is that you have to pay a membership fee at TV for the fitness centers of approx. $400.00 per person per year but at SC the fitness centers are included.?
Old 03-28-2013, 11:04 PM
Sage

Yes.
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)

Last edited by chuckinca; 03-29-2013 at 05:34 AM.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:37 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer61 View Post
I've been told one difference is that you have to pay a membership fee at TV for the fitness centers of approx. $400.00 per person per year but at SC the fitness centers are included.?
We find that Paying a fee for a good service is preferable to waiting on line for the Freebie (Amenity Included) services.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.