questions about Stonecrest

Closed Thread
Old 03-29-2013, 12:47 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca View Post
Yes, in the $106 per month amenities fee, and the indoor heated pool too. No bond BS and $5 per play 9 hole. $20 annual trail fee. Larger lots, bigger homes, lower prices, no roundabouts, private roads - no public access, and everybody waves at you!

If you play golf 3-4times a week or more as we try to do that $5/play can more expensive than paying off a bond. A larger home and lot to be cared is not what I want, not what I retired for. That said, you prefer Stonecrest, more power to you. You have made the right choice for yourself. E are all very fortunate to live in places like Stonecrest and TV.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:48 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer61 View Post
I've been told one difference is that you have to pay a membership fee at TV for the fitness centers of approx. $400.00 per person per year but at SC the fitness centers are included.?
Thats bout a buck a day
Old 04-16-2013, 06:16 PM
Gold member

Ok, a few observations on my part.

The assumptions by a few posters here that the reason to buy in Stonecrest is to get a bigger house for the money is clearly misguided. It might be in some cases but it certainly wasn’t for me. I knew what I wanted to spend and what I wanted, and Stonecrest fit the bill quite nicely. Furthermore, the concept that the breadth of clubs in TV would surely satisfy anyone’s needs unless they wanted to sit by the pool with a book is certainly not always the case either.

I found exactly what I wanted in Stonecrest and had enough left over to buy my dreamboat “Let’s Sea”. A Trophy 1902 walk around beauty (see attached). And I joined the Triangle Boat Club in Tavares to travel to many of the wonderful lakes, rivers, and ocean bays all over central Florida with other members. Some of whom by the way are TV residents.

Having lived all my life in Massachusetts where it takes an act of god and permission from the chief of police in your town to purchase a firearm, I was finally able to pursue my desire to get into recreational shooting here in Florida where all you need is a clean record and a pulse. So I joined the Ocala Sportsman’s Association and the Tavares Gun Club and have built a small collection of fine firearms that I enjoy shooting from time to time.

Clearly, these clubs are not available in Stonecrest, but they’re not available in TV either. So those of you who are graduates of the Jennifer Parr school of TV Salesmanship should really consider embracing the “different strokes for different folks” attitude.

But one thing is absolutely undeniable. None of the wonderful public restaurants, retail, and medical facilities here would be possible if not for The Villages.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Doc1.pdf (146.8 KB, 130 views)
Old 04-16-2013, 09:55 PM

After reading most of the post regarding the pros and cons of both communities MY conclusion leans towards Stonecrest. Here's why. First, you get more home and Yard for your money. Its less expensive overall to live in SC also. Personally I need to be able to move around my property, piddle in the yard, feel grass under my feet. Second, I also like a little privacy. I don't care to hear my neighbors conversions. Third, I understand they have a very nice free fitness center where you don't have to wait in line because of crowds. And fourth most importantly if I choose to spend all day playing in TV or SC I have that choice. Besides the pools and rec centers, all the other shops, restaurants and entertainment is public. Oh and the clubs are not all exclusive to TV like the Parrot Heads and more. No offense to TV, I just like to have choices, room to move and the Florida weather also shines at SC. Again this is my opinion only from reading these posts. We still have to visit. But what's really important is that weather we live in TV or SC we all have the same thing in common, to live the retirement years of our lives in peace, fulfillment and to be able to do it in a warm and sunny climate.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:40 AM
Soaring Eagle member

We have friends who bought at StoneCrest that are very happy there. And we have friends who checked out the Villages, but ended up retiring further south along the Gulf, because they enjoy boating. As far as the fitness centers - we joined them the first year we were here, but had to wait in line to use the machines during the high season, unless we went late in the day which didn't fit our schedule. There are people who look askance at the small lots here and wonder why we would choose to live like that. The Villages has pluses and minuses for most people, although for us, the pluses outweighed the minuses. We all make choices, and in the long run, the Villages worked out best for us.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:28 AM
Sage

Last edited by senior citizen; 01-29-2014 at 08:28 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:38 AM
Gold member

Oh, you most definitely cannot keep any kind of recreational vehicle parked anywhere on your property in Stonecrest either. Strictly enforced. It was in my driveway only to be loaded up for a trip.

Like TV, Stonecrest has a secured back lot for RV’s but there is a waiting list. So in the meantime my boat is kept in a storage facility nearby.

As for the local lakes, the Harris Chain of Lakes can be interesting but the drought continues to take its toll. The last time I went through Haines Creek (between lakes Griffin and Eustis), I struck a submerged log. I find the St. Johns River to be far more interesting and fun to boat on.

By the way, next time you’re heading towards the Eustis/Mt. Dora area, forget about using 441. Instead take 42 west to 452 south. Much more scenic and almost no traffic lights.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:46 AM
Sage

Last edited by senior citizen; 01-29-2014 at 08:29 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:59 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scroll View Post
I have the best of both worlds. I bought a large house in stonecrest and it is peaceful and quiet, very relaxing. I bought a small mobile home in the villages I use only for my workshop and access to the villages. Paid 69k for having all the access the villages offers. It is a great way to live keeping myself and wife happy. I am very lucky to have a nice dog house to go to in the villages.
That sounds like a SMART idea!! Buying either place may be beneficial depending what you are looking for. although I love the villages there are times when it is too crowded. when you have to get to a club one hr prior to it starting, it's a problem. Also some clubs are closed due to being filled to capacity. If you can't find parking at square, if you can't get to classes because they are so crowded, why live in the villages?? I'm not saying I don't love it. I do . However being honest here, the homes are very close to each other and sometimes when places get TOO LARGE it takes away from the intimacy of a smaller community where you can really get to know each other. Also consider the traffic here now with the amt of cars and golf carts. Weigh it all out. Spend time in both. sounds like this guy (above) had a great idea!! Maybe he was the smart one?? Best of both worlds he says.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:11 AM
Veteran member

Why can't the residents of Stonecrest just start their own clubs and run them like they do in the villages?? All you have to do is volunteer to run a club?? The villages would not be the villages without all the VOLUNTEERS?? that is WHY we have 2,000 clubs. When we lose volunteers we lose our clubs.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Stonecrest is a wonderful place and does very well without us to tell them stuff.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:46 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post
.....Can you boat with yours on Lake Weir???? North of The Villages???....
The problem with Lake Weir is that the water at the ramp is so low right now that you can’t launch a boat the size of yours or mine without running off the end of the concrete ramp and getting stuck.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:49 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,297 Times in 535 Posts

We looked at Stonecrest seven years ago----if I remember correctly they had changed developers around that time. Didn't understand then and still can't figure why there is not more building going on in Stonecrest. Bottom line at the time----Stonecrest became our second choice. I do remember there were a lot of various clubs. There are a number of Resales available in Stonecrest but such is common in 55 plus communities. Even though we don't live there, we like Stonecrest.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:54 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartnsoul View Post
...The villages would not be the villages without all the VOLUNTEERS?? that is WHY we have 2,000 clubs. When we lose volunteers we lose our clubs.
That is so true. We, the Villagers, are such an important component of The Villages.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:05 AM
Sage

TV Clubs/population = 2000/100000 = 2%

Stonecrest Clubs/population = 100/3000 = 3.3%

Stonecrest has approximately 65% more clubs per person than TV.
I believe all clubs in Stonecrest are open to additional members.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.