questions about Stonecrest

Closed Thread
Old 04-17-2013, 12:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdV View Post
The problem with Lake Weir is that the water at the ramp is so low right now that you can’t launch a boat the size of yours or mine without running off the end of the concrete ramp and getting stuck.
We appreciate that information. Ditto for that of the drought plus shallow areas in Harris Chain of Lakes. I had a feeling.....

Thankyou........
Old 04-17-2013, 01:25 PM

I believe that the only restaurant TV can claim as their own is Katie Belles/Cattle Baron Club. All other restaurants are individually owned/franchised and not owned by TV. I have seen many younger individuals (non-seniors) enjoying the restaurants. So to call the restaurants "ours" seems a bit misleading. I just think it's great that everyone can enjoy what TV has to offer even if the "lifestyle" is based on individual choice. We visited both Stonecrest and TV and decided Stonecrest was the better choice for us. We will still enjoy what TV offers non-residents, but instead will drive there and not offend anyone by using the golf cart paths.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillagesFlorida View Post
Stonecrest is a very nice retirement community just north of The Villages. For now residents there CAN drive their golf carts to The Villages using a dirt path through back lots and fields. It's unclear how long that path will be available since it runs through very desirable commercial property that will probably be built on sooner or later. You CAN buy more home for your money at Stonecrest, just as you can in most other "typical" retirement communities in the area. What you will have are "typical" amenities such as a clubhouse, pool, shuffleboard & tennis courts, a restaurant, golf course, etc. Here is just a partial list of what is offered here in The Villages:

Number of Organized Clubs/Activities: 1,800

Number of Restaurants: 100

Town Squares: 2

Championship Courses: 9

Executive Courses: 29

Recreation Centers: 57

Recreation Swimming Pools: 65

When you purchase a home here you are buying a lifestyle unlike anything else in the world. You WILL pay a premium for that, up front. Go to Stonecrest first. You may fall in love with the "typical" amenities offered there. You can hope that the dirt path to The Villages will remain intact so that you can drive your golf cart over here to enjoy the shopping, restaurants and entertainment. Once you have seen what Stonecrest offers drive across the street to The Villages. Take a trolley tour, talk to those of us who can't imagine living anywhere else. You will see that this place is far from "typical" and that the lifestyle here is indescribable and unimaginable. I could go on and on but, even if I could I wouldn't be able to paint a beautiful-enough picture. Be sure to plan enough time to really get a feel for what is here. An hour or two will suffice at Stonecrest, to get the lay of the land, but it will take you several days to a week or more to see all that is here.
Can't say it better than this.

TV is something that has to be seen to be believed. It'a feeling that you get while in TV.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 04-17-2013, 09:19 PM
Sage

Per person, Stonecrest has more amenities in every catagory and is $30/month less (about 30%)(it would seem that the smaller population would cost more per unit but I guess the yacht, business jets, political donations, Kool Aid, Billionaire Developer, etc are expensive). Not to mention Stonecrest, and most other area 55+ communities, have private roads and controlled access gates and NO BONDS.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 04-17-2013, 09:30 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,310 Times in 544 Posts

Does Stonecrest have virtually free executive golf on 29 golf courses?
Old 04-17-2013, 09:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,369 Times in 2,397 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca View Post
Per person, Stonecrest has more amenities in every catagory and is $30/month less (about 30%)(it would seem that the smaller population would cost more per unit but I guess the yacht, business jets, political donations, Kool Aid, Billionaire Developer, etc are expensive). Not to mention Stonecrest, and most other area 55+ communities, have private roads and controlled access gates and NO BONDS.

It is what it is. Either take a ticket or move on down the road.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Does Stonecrest have virtually free executive golf on 29 golf courses?

100,000 people/29 = 3,448 people per virtually free executive golf course

3,000 people/1 = 3,000 people per virtually free executive golf course

and no lines at the Stonecrest course.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 04-17-2013, 10:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter;661***
Is that a Kool Aid enhanced response?

Old 04-18-2013, 04:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter;661***
Boys, boys, boys.

But that was a good one Bogie Shooter, but Chuck already lives in Stonecrest.

I think you were both defending your own turf here and since Ich bin ein Villager.....
Old 04-18-2013, 06:10 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca View Post
100,000 people/29 = 3,448 people per virtually free executive golf course

3,000 people/1 = 3,000 people per virtually free executive golf course

and no lines at the Stonecrest course.

Well I guess that says it all too. I think both communities are great in their own way, and as individuals, we each have our own needs and will find a retirement place that fits our personalities, budget, etc. We happened to end up in The Villages and it works for us, but we easily could have ended up elsewhere. I don't think we need to be smug about The Villages and act like its the only game in town. For a variety of reasons, some people wouldn't touch this place with a ten foot pole, and that is their choice. It doesn't make our choice good or bad. Just different. Let's respect everyone else's choice of community and leave it at that.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:24 AM
Sage

Last edited by senior citizen; 01-29-2014 at 08:30 PM.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:48 AM
Sage

There are upsides and downsides to living in any truly gated community, regardless of where it's located.

One downside we experienced first-hand was with the fact that it's up to the residents to maintain the streets in the development since they are privately owned. We had a piece of property for a number of years under such a scenario and after a while, it started getting very expensive for the property owners as the roads started demanding a lot of work. The unfortunate part of that development's situation was the roads weren't constructed properly when they were first put in...........and the property owners were the ones who took the hit for it over the long haul.

Just one point to consider.

Bill
Old 04-18-2013, 07:16 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post
You are right. I still look at homes on the beach or close to the beach or on a canal like in Vero Beach, Florida..........or one of the barrier islands on the east coast............we could easily keep the boat that way, if we had a canal in the backyard with a dock (like we had once upon a time). Indialantic by the Sea is also cute.
We are used to a smaller town.

However, the thought that THE VILLAGES has everything anyone would want within the perimeter, on the property so to speak.......without having to go out onto those ugly Florida highways..........(the Florida Turnpike is not ugly but they speed like maniacs.)..........having all the services, just everything close at hand.........is what I particularly like.........plus the beauty of the landscaping and general ambience of the entire place.
I know, we had thoughts along the same lines. We vacationed every year along the east coast, and aspects of living on the ocean are wonderful, but there are drawbacks too. Now that we're here in The villages, we take a trip to the ocean at least once a month to do some fishing. We do like having the grocery stores and medical offices so close, in The Villages. Although we haven't found any great restaurants "on the compound" - we tend to go outside The Villages for nicer dining options. What sold us on The Villages were the opportunities for socialization. With the huge variety of clubs, we've had no trouble meeting people, making wonderful friends, and just generally staying busy.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:41 AM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

I can only give my personal opinion of stonecrest based on my recent visit there. My brother and I golfed there last Monday. The community seemed nice and we were greeted by the pro at the clubhouse. The clubhouse resembled our country clubs. It had the golf shop, a restaurant and bar. The guys in the golf shop and the starter were all real friendly. The course was ok, and the price was certainly right....$28 each and that included the cart. We finished our round at 530pm and went to go back into the clubhouse for a beer, but the door was locked. The golf pro said that they close it at 5pm! When driving back to TV, the place looked deserted. So, my opinion is that for my lifestyle I much prefer the villages.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:16 AM
Default Stonecrest

Do not buy into any community without checking them out thoroughly, you may find one that fits your life style better than the villages, especially if you do not like having a lot of choices.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.