questions about Stonecrest

Closed Thread
Old 05-23-2011, 08:11 PM

I have the best of both worlds. I bought a large house in stonecrest and it is peaceful and quiet, very relaxing. I bought a small mobile home in the villages I use only for my workshop and access to the villages. Paid 69k for having all the access the villages offers. It is a great way to live keeping myself and wife happy. I am very lucky to have a nice dog house to go to in the villages.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:14 PM
Sage

Interesting -

What amenities only available to TV residents do you frequently use?

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 05-23-2011, 08:24 PM
Veteran member

When we moved here a younger friend "up north" wanted us to meet her folks who lived in Stonecrest---because she thought we'd have alot in common. So I struck up an e-mail relationship with her mom. In "chatting" back and forth it became evident that we had not one thing in common. Her husband didn't play golf and they mostly played cards. She asked me why in the world we'd want to live in The Villages. I told her that my husband was an avid golfer and once we'd visited here...it was a "no brainer". What others here have said about "Life-style" is absolutely correct. If you're bored here...then you must be comatose. There is enough available to make most anybody happy...that is unless they want to live in a community with hardly anything to offer in the way of a plethora of clubs, restaurants, and alot more than I could list here! But by all means...visit those places then make your decision!
Old 05-23-2011, 08:42 PM
Sage

All the other communities in this area each have more clubs and activities than anyone could ever find time to indulge in; not 1800 (which probably is made up of 1750 ways to play rummy) but 30 or so choices is way more than anyone will ever find time to try.

(In the CBS TV Golf Cart program aired yesterday it was mentioned that there are about 50,000 carts in TV and probably only 15,000 have ever been on a golf course - apparently not everyone in TV golfs)(We have more than a dozen relatives and friends living in TV and three golf).
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 05-23-2011, 09:50 PM

We checked out On Top Of The World last year near Ocala and saw hardly nobody. I guess everyone was hiding out in their larger homes. The homes were nice but I have a nice home here in Va I can hide in if that's what I want in retirement. It's NOT! We haven't worked all our lives to hibernate. We want to get out and live. We've earned it.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I have an old friend who lives in Stonecrest.

I wonder why she chose a place so close when she could have....you know.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:27 AM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default it takes all kinds

Different strokes for different folks as they say. If I were not around I could see my hubby liking Stonecrest....he's the quiet and content type....luckily he has me to show him different....hahahaha
Old 05-24-2011, 10:56 AM
Default Stonecrest vs. TV

We rented in TV during the winter. We decided to check out Stonecrest. There were some things we liked about the community...larger lots, indoor pool, no bond, larger home for the money. Some things we didn't care for, we didn't see hardly anyone out and about, the activities seemed limited, they had a new section going in, but, we didn't see many (if any) sold signs on the lots (of course that might have changed since January).

On the other hand, the villages, seemed to come alive with all the activities, there were a lot of folks out and about, the amenities and landscaping are beautiful. You could strike up a conversation with most of the folks. Just the overall feel of the villages sold us.

We decided to purchase a TV lot a couple of weeks ago. We are (still) torn between going to Florida vs. living near the grandchildren. And, I have to say, I wouldn't move 700 miles away from grandkids to live in Stonecrest as we have similar over 55 communites where we currently live. But, we have nothing that compares to the villages.

Like previous posts have indicated; it's really a personal lifestyle choice. Good luck on your visit.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I have an old friend who lives in Stonecrest.

I wonder why she chose a place so close when she could have....you know.

You know . . . You could ask her why.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca View Post
You know . . . You could ask her why.

YOU ARE RIGHT. Why didn't I think of that.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:20 PM
Sage

Probably cause she 's a democrat and you're a republican.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca View Post
Probably cause she 's a democrat and you're a republican.

Oh.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:38 PM
Sage

or she likes vanilla and you like chocolate.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:28 PM
Sage

[

Last edited by graciegirl; 05-25-2011 at 03:44 AM.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:52 PM
Sage
Default Interesting observations about other communities near TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
We spent a day in Stonecrest in April and were impressed with the design and size of the homes. We even were momentarily interested in buying something there. But...............
Why did the salesperson keep talking about how you could get to TV by golf cart if Stonecrest was so good? Why would you not want to stay right there?
Why was there almost no one out and about in their yard, on their carts, on the golf course, in the pools on an 85 degree sunny Florida Saturday afternoon?
Why did their rec center look like a small town YMCA compared to the luxurious beauty of the TV regional rec centers?
And the biggest question of all: Would we have driven 1300 miles to spend time in and enjoy the fabulous lifestyle of ...... Stoncrest? (the answer is HELL NO!)
Now I did talk to several people who lived in Stonecrest, Spruce Creek, and Del Webb, who said they liked their choice. (Most people tend to defend and rationalize major decisions like that IMO). However, I surmized that they were people who liked quiet and solitude, and weren't all that gregarious. One even said his wife told him she would move to anyplace in Florida BUT the Villages, because it was so busy.
I can see no reason to compromise on the fabulous lifestyle afforded by The Villages just to get a bigger house. I don't spend that much time at the house when I'm in TV anyway. If you like the amenities of TV and like to be around the kind of people that enjoy that kind of energetic lifestyle, don't make a big mistake - there is a home waiting within your budget in TV.
I have found it interesting to read the observations on/comments regarding the various active adult communities around TV. Just my opinion, if you want a quieter and lower energy lifestyle in your golden years, pick your community accordingly and be happy with your decision as it's your life. If you want a more active lifestyle after 55, a place like TV may be to your liking. I don't golf -- maybe I would learn if I moved to TV, but I read the on-line edition of the Villages Daily Sun every day, and I'm so impressed by how many activities there are for TV residents to participate in (in addition to golf). I don't think I want to spend my golden years watching the grass grow, but that's just me. As active adult communities go, hopefully there is a lid for every pot. Life is not a dress rehearsal, so make the most of it -- however you choose to do that.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.