Watering

Closed Thread
Old 05-14-2011, 06:27 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656
Default Watering

How long do you recommend watering the lawn for each zone during the summer months?
Old 05-14-2011, 07:18 AM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default Tuna can test

I was told that you need to place a tuna can in each zone and run the sprinklers one or two zones at a time watching how long it takes to deliver 3/4 inch of water. That is the time you set eack zone. Some may be daster than others. Did that make sense?

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 05-14-2011, 09:03 AM

Bob heres how i do my sprinkelers. In the hot months and also sometime in the cooler months i usually have my zones set at either 15 minutes a zone if its real dry or ten minutes a zone if we have had a little rain. Some people go to 20 minutes a zone but thats a lot of water and i think too much. Either 15 min or ten min depending on the weather.If we get a good rain sometime i turn mine off alltogether for a week. Im talking if we get two or more inches in a five day period. You have to sort of play around with it until you find the perfect setting that keeps your grass looking good with out over doing it on the time. Tom
Old 05-14-2011, 09:08 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I was told that if you're watering once a week, 45 minutes for the rotaries, 30for the sprayers. If twice a week, 20/15 unless it is really dry (like now, then 30/20). During the winter, 15/10. As was said, play around with it until you get the right setting for your grass -- you can usually tell within 2 weeks or less if you have the optimal times.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 05-14-2011, 12:26 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALYBOW View Post
I was told that you need to place a tuna can in each zone and run the sprinklers one or two zones at a time watching how long it takes to deliver 3/4 inch of water. That is the time you set eack zone. Some may be daster than others. Did that make sense?
Yes SALYBOW it makes perfect sense.

You must know how much water is delivered in inches not time. The amount is determined by the output at the nozzle, the area (pattern) covered by the sprinkler head as well as the time. Two identical nozzles covering different size areas running the same length of time will result in different coverage. So, one head covering 90 degrees and a like head covering 180 degrees will result in uneven coverage. Nozzles are usually rated at gallons per minute. In my example the 180 degree nozzle should be twice the capacity of the 90 degree nozzle.

Another factor not mentioned is the condition of the soil.Soil was trucked in from various sources during the grading process. That is why there may be some areas of your lawn showing stress before other areas.

Another factor is the condition of the sprinkler heads. They wear out, they get knocked around and at some point need readjusting or replacing.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster View Post
Yes SALYBOW it makes perfect sense.

You must know how much water is delivered in inches not time. The amount is determined by the output at the nozzle, the area (pattern) covered by the sprinkler head as well as the time. Two identical nozzles covering different size areas running the same length of time will result in different coverage. So, one head covering 90 degrees and a like head covering 180 degrees will result in uneven coverage. Nozzles are usually rated at gallons per minute. In my example the 180 degree nozzle should be twice the capacity of the 90 degree nozzle.

Another factor not mentioned is the condition of the soil.Soil was trucked in from various sources during the grading process. That is why there may be some areas of your lawn showing stress before other areas.

Another factor is the condition of the sprinkler heads. They wear out, they get knocked around and at some point need readjusting or replacing.
I was about to tell Sallybow that the tuna can test is a perfect way to determine how long to water and to check coverages on areas you struggle with. You beat me to it and did a much better job that I likely would have . To your point, I replaced several nozzles last year as TV installers use one size for 90 versus 180 degree rotors, etc. which is not optimal.

Here is a nice site for information if you have Zoysia grass:

http://www.empireturf.com/maintenance.shtml

Last edited by ajbrown; 05-14-2011 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Add if you have Zoysia grass to link comment
Old 05-14-2011, 12:42 PM

What size are the nozzles in the 90 vs the 180's? I assume we are talking rotories.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:54 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokey View Post
What size are the nozzles in the 90 vs the 180's? I assume we are talking rotories.
It varies by manufacturer. In some cases when you purchase a new rotary sprinkler head you get a set of nozzles of varying output.

Another tip: sprinklers should reach from head to head. In some cases there will be an area where three, or even four, overlap. Not a good place to put the gauge (tuna can?). I had one small area where I was getting one and a half inches.

And yet another tip: if watering a slope there is a possibility some will eventually drain off. In those cases set two start times each one half the normal. More water will be absorbed where you want it.

It is easy to underwater and damage your lawn or over water and run up a big water bill. The challenge is to get it just right.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:58 PM
Veteran member

Tuna can !/2 - 3/4 inch 2 times per week.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjn5656 View Post
How long do you recommend watering the lawn for each zone during the summer months?
I'm wondering if you're a seasonal resident, away during the summer months. We water once a week during the summer ... 20 minutes for some zones, 30 minutes for our zones that have palm trees. We have a weekly lawn guy and a home watch company. They'll let us know if we are over or under watering.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALYBOW View Post
I went over to the FL Extension service and spoke with the fellow from the University, Jim. He said the only thing we really need to worry about is get one watering a week to go 3/4 of an inch as SALYBOW stated. He said some people add a second watering but it probably isn't necessary. Don't follow the advice of others who water frequently but shallower.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.