Is this for real? I am shocked

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 05-14-2011, 09:49 PM
icanfixthat icanfixthat is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Is this for real? I am shocked

Did anyone else read the advertisement in the local newspaper (that I don't think is allowed to be mentioned) where a derogatory racial comment is made. The ad was on page A10.

I won't mention the business name. What I find offensive is they are calling their competitors "monkeys". If I am not mistaken their competitors have black employees and this is 2011. You can't call black or white people monkeys in the newspaper, can you?

I am writing the editor of the paper for an explanation. Am I the only one that caught that? Am I reading that statement right? This is really bothering me.
  #2  
Old 05-14-2011, 10:07 PM
wendyquat's Avatar
wendyquat wendyquat is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,572
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by icanfixthat View Post
Did anyone else read the advertisement in the local newspaper (that I don't think is allowed to be mentioned) where a derogatory racial comment is made. The ad was on page A10.

I won't mention the business name. What I find offensive is they are calling their competitors "monkeys". If I am not mistaken their competitors have black employees and this is 2011. You can't call black or white people monkeys in the newspaper, can you?

I am writing the editor of the paper for an explanation. Am I the only one that caught that? Am I reading that statement right? This is really bothering me.
Saw the paper, page A10 Did not see anything about monkeys!
  #3  
Old 05-14-2011, 10:17 PM
icanfixthat icanfixthat is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Racism in TV newspaper

I am sorry I was not more specific but you have to tip toe on eggshells on this site and not mention the unmentionable. I saw this in Fridays unmentionable paper. I won't say what ad it is on page A10 but you will know it when you see it. It also pictures a crashed golf cart after visiting the 19th hole. I take that as a drunk driving reference or something.

Sorry to be cryptic
  #4  
Old 05-14-2011, 10:31 PM
RichieLion's Avatar
RichieLion RichieLion is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita
Posts: 6,002
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to RichieLion
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by icanfixthat View Post
I am sorry I was not more specific but you have to tip toe on eggshells on this site and not mention the unmentionable. I saw this in Fridays unmentionable paper. I won't say what ad it is on page A10 but you will know it when you see it. It also pictures a crashed golf cart after visiting the 19th hole. I take that as a drunk driving reference or something.

Sorry to be cryptic
You have 5 posts. What do you know about the management of this forum?

You're reading too much into this post, and I think you have another agenda. I'm betting you've an interest in getting people to see that ad. Very cagey.
__________________
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania (1759)
  #5  
Old 05-14-2011, 11:00 PM
K9-Lovers's Avatar
K9-Lovers K9-Lovers is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany
Posts: 2,135
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I see the advertisement. There are no racial remarks, although there is a reference to monkeys. You are reading too much into the ad.

Relax.
__________________
K9-Lovers
  #6  
Old 05-14-2011, 11:38 PM
icanfixthat icanfixthat is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Sorry Mr. Lion no agenda. I read this site daily and rarely to I post, like many others.
I have learned to not mention the unmentionables from others.

I saw this statement in an ad, it could have been anywhere.

The statement is "you pay peanuts and you get monkeys"

What else can be said about that statement. Why is it in print. This is 2011. How insensitive that statement is. I see this no other way that racist.
  #7  
Old 05-15-2011, 02:44 AM
l2ridehd's Avatar
l2ridehd l2ridehd is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bridgeport At Miona Shores
Posts: 3,516
Thanks: 1
Thanked 171 Times in 56 Posts
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd
Default

It's attitudes like yours that cause us not to profile at airports and instead search 6 year old girls and 80 year old grandmothers. We have this thing called freedom of the press, and if your offended don't buy it. I stopped buying the Washington Compost because I get tired of there opinions instead of news. Get over it.
__________________
Life is to short to drink cheap wine.
  #8  
Old 05-15-2011, 05:55 AM
ceejay's Avatar
ceejay ceejay is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Village of Amelia
Posts: 782
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieLion View Post
You're reading too much into this post, and I think you have another agenda. I'm betting you've an interest in getting people to see that ad. Very cagey.
I agree, Richie. I would bet my last dollar that Icanfixthat is associated with another golf cart assistance business and is trying to "stir the pot".

I read the ad in THE DAILY SUN (we are allowed to mention the name of the newspaper here) and then looked at other posts in order to come to this conclusion.

BTW, I don't believe that the comic is referring to drunk driving...I think the "19th hole" in this case is a "sinkhole."
__________________
Buffalo...Staten Island...New Jersey...The Village of Amelia!
  #9  
Old 05-15-2011, 06:03 AM
redwitch's Avatar
redwitch redwitch is offline
Sage
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,098
Thanks: 1
Thanked 65 Times in 27 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Default

Sorry, I really don't see any racism in this and I'm pretty sensitive to racist comments. I have not seen the ad mentioned. I'm assuming the ad refers to a certain someone who repairs golf carts. If so, most of his competitors are individuals who have no employees. I think all of his competitors -- black, white, tan or purple -- would object to being called monkeys. Personally, I find ads that insult competition insulting to me and I usually opt to not use that company. I will happily find someone as good or better than the one claiming they are the best; better than their competition; or whatever. It is why I won't give referrals to a certain golf cart rental company -- the first time I called them, I was told they had the "best" golf carts around. I called others, found one that was cheaper and had excellent carts. So, that was the end of the "best" carts around to me.

I do think it is a bad metaphor -- seems like peanuts would get you elephants and bananas for monkeys. Guess they could have said, "pay less, get crap," but I think more would find that objectionable. Regardless, this is not a case of saying someone is a monkey if black; it is a case of someone saying you get less quality if you play less money. They lose my business for that simple reason (and the fact that if it is who I think it is, I'm not paying $65 just to have you come out and look at my cart when I have a GREAT repairman thanks to this forum).
__________________
Army/embassy brat - traveled too much to mention
Moved here from SF Bay Area (East Bay)

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
  #10  
Old 05-15-2011, 07:13 AM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 38,140
Thanks: 2,825
Thanked 2,403 Times in 884 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default

I wouldn't mind being compared to monkeys. Monkeys are primates too, and adorable to look at.

I wouldn't like to be compared to a................rhinocerous. They aren't so cute.

Good morning everyone. Need coffee.
__________________
It is better to laugh than to cry.
  #11  
Old 05-15-2011, 07:29 AM
Talk Host's Avatar
Talk Host Talk Host is offline
Founder
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,350
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

I never cease to be amazed at how astute our members are and how well they patrol this forum for the appearance of fraud. I did some detective work and found that you are correct. An IP address search revealed a direct link to golf cart repair and towing. Makes me wish I could tell you who it is, so you can know who to avoid.

Thank you for protecting the integrity of your forum.

JLK
  #12  
Old 05-15-2011, 07:35 AM
Bill-n-Brillo's Avatar
Bill-n-Brillo Bill-n-Brillo is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Granville, OH.....and TV snowflakes!
Posts: 6,909
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
I never cease to be amazed at how astute our members are and how well they patrol this forum for the appearance of fraud. I did some detective work and found that you are correct. An IP address search revealed a direct link to golf cart repair and towing. Makes me wish I could tell you who it is, so you can know who to avoid.

Thank you for protecting the integrity of your forum.

JLK
You're on it, TH! Thanks for the feedback.

Bill
  #13  
Old 05-15-2011, 07:44 AM
ceejay's Avatar
ceejay ceejay is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Village of Amelia
Posts: 782
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
I never cease to be amazed at how astute our members are and how well they patrol this forum for the appearance of fraud. I did some detective work and found that you are correct. An IP address search revealed a direct link to golf cart repair and towing. Makes me wish I could tell you who it is, so you can know who to avoid.

Thank you for protecting the integrity of your forum.

JLK
Thank you, Talk Host. I think I figured it out and we give our business to them. Makes me want to switch to the other guy.
__________________
Buffalo...Staten Island...New Jersey...The Village of Amelia!
  #14  
Old 05-15-2011, 08:18 AM
Talk Host's Avatar
Talk Host Talk Host is offline
Founder
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,350
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

The thing that angers me most about threads like this is that the original poster thinks you are stupid and that we are stupid. What it does, though, is give you a crystal clear picture of how they run their business.
  #15  
Old 05-15-2011, 09:52 AM
Barefoot's Avatar
Barefoot Barefoot is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Winters in TV, Summers in Canada.
Posts: 17,646
Thanks: 1,248
Thanked 170 Times in 120 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieLion View Post
You have 5 posts. What do you know about the management of this forum?
You're reading too much into this post, and I think you have another agenda. I'm betting you've an interest in getting people to see that ad. Very cagey.
I'm impressed that you picked this up Richie, well done!
__________________
Barefoot At Last
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:24 PM.