Is this for real? I am shocked

Closed Thread
Old 05-14-2011, 09:49 PM
Default Is this for real? I am shocked

Did anyone else read the advertisement in the local newspaper (that I don't think is allowed to be mentioned) where a derogatory racial comment is made. The ad was on page A10.

I won't mention the business name. What I find offensive is they are calling their competitors "monkeys". If I am not mistaken their competitors have black employees and this is 2011. You can't call black or white people monkeys in the newspaper, can you?

I am writing the editor of the paper for an explanation. Am I the only one that caught that? Am I reading that statement right? This is really bothering me.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:07 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icanfixthat View Post
Did anyone else read the advertisement in the local newspaper (that I don't think is allowed to be mentioned) where a derogatory racial comment is made. The ad was on page A10.

I won't mention the business name. What I find offensive is they are calling their competitors "monkeys". If I am not mistaken their competitors have black employees and this is 2011. You can't call black or white people monkeys in the newspaper, can you?

I am writing the editor of the paper for an explanation. Am I the only one that caught that? Am I reading that statement right? This is really bothering me.
Saw the paper, page A10 Did not see anything about monkeys!
Old 05-14-2011, 10:17 PM
Default Racism in TV newspaper

I am sorry I was not more specific but you have to tip toe on eggshells on this site and not mention the unmentionable. I saw this in Fridays unmentionable paper. I won't say what ad it is on page A10 but you will know it when you see it. It also pictures a crashed golf cart after visiting the 19th hole. I take that as a drunk driving reference or something.

Sorry to be cryptic
Old 05-14-2011, 10:31 PM
Sage
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita
Send a message via AIM to RichieLion

Quote:
Originally Posted by icanfixthat View Post
I am sorry I was not more specific but you have to tip toe on eggshells on this site and not mention the unmentionable. I saw this in Fridays unmentionable paper. I won't say what ad it is on page A10 but you will know it when you see it. It also pictures a crashed golf cart after visiting the 19th hole. I take that as a drunk driving reference or something.

Sorry to be cryptic
You have 5 posts. What do you know about the management of this forum?

You're reading too much into this post, and I think you have another agenda. I'm betting you've an interest in getting people to see that ad. Very cagey.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:00 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

I see the advertisement. There are no racial remarks, although there is a reference to monkeys. You are reading too much into the ad.

Relax.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:38 PM

Sorry Mr. Lion no agenda. I read this site daily and rarely to I post, like many others.
I have learned to not mention the unmentionables from others.

I saw this statement in an ad, it could have been anywhere.

The statement is "you pay peanuts and you get monkeys"

What else can be said about that statement. Why is it in print. This is 2011. How insensitive that statement is. I see this no other way that racist.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:44 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

It's attitudes like yours that cause us not to profile at airports and instead search 6 year old girls and 80 year old grandmothers. We have this thing called freedom of the press, and if your offended don't buy it. I stopped buying the Washington Compost because I get tired of there opinions instead of news. Get over it.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:55 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieLion View Post
You're reading too much into this post, and I think you have another agenda. I'm betting you've an interest in getting people to see that ad. Very cagey.
I agree, Richie. I would bet my last dollar that Icanfixthat is associated with another golf cart assistance business and is trying to "stir the pot".

I read the ad in THE DAILY SUN (we are allowed to mention the name of the newspaper here) and then looked at other posts in order to come to this conclusion.

BTW, I don't believe that the comic is referring to drunk driving...I think the "19th hole" in this case is a "sinkhole."
Old 05-15-2011, 06:03 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Sorry, I really don't see any racism in this and I'm pretty sensitive to racist comments. I have not seen the ad mentioned. I'm assuming the ad refers to a certain someone who repairs golf carts. If so, most of his competitors are individuals who have no employees. I think all of his competitors -- black, white, tan or purple -- would object to being called monkeys. Personally, I find ads that insult competition insulting to me and I usually opt to not use that company. I will happily find someone as good or better than the one claiming they are the best; better than their competition; or whatever. It is why I won't give referrals to a certain golf cart rental company -- the first time I called them, I was told they had the "best" golf carts around. I called others, found one that was cheaper and had excellent carts. So, that was the end of the "best" carts around to me.

I do think it is a bad metaphor -- seems like peanuts would get you elephants and bananas for monkeys. Guess they could have said, "pay less, get crap," but I think more would find that objectionable. Regardless, this is not a case of saying someone is a monkey if black; it is a case of someone saying you get less quality if you play less money. They lose my business for that simple reason (and the fact that if it is who I think it is, I'm not paying $65 just to have you come out and look at my cart when I have a GREAT repairman thanks to this forum).

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 05-15-2011, 07:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I wouldn't mind being compared to monkeys. Monkeys are primates too, and adorable to look at.

I wouldn't like to be compared to a................rhinocerous. They aren't so cute.

Good morning everyone. Need coffee.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:29 AM
Founder

I never cease to be amazed at how astute our members are and how well they patrol this forum for the appearance of fraud. I did some detective work and found that you are correct. An IP address search revealed a direct link to golf cart repair and towing. Makes me wish I could tell you who it is, so you can know who to avoid.

Thank you for protecting the integrity of your forum.

JLK
Old 05-15-2011, 07:35 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
I never cease to be amazed at how astute our members are and how well they patrol this forum for the appearance of fraud. I did some detective work and found that you are correct. An IP address search revealed a direct link to golf cart repair and towing. Makes me wish I could tell you who it is, so you can know who to avoid.

JLK
You're on it, TH! Thanks for the feedback.

Bill
Old 05-15-2011, 07:44 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post

JLK
Thank you, Talk Host. I think I figured it out and we give our business to them. Makes me want to switch to the other guy.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:18 AM
Founder

The thing that angers me most about threads like this is that the original poster thinks you are stupid and that we are stupid. What it does, though, is give you a crystal clear picture of how they run their business.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:52 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieLion View Post
You have 5 posts. What do you know about the management of this forum?
I'm impressed that you picked this up Richie, well done!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.