Ring Doorbell Question

Closed Thread
Old 07-19-2021, 10:29 AM
Default Ring Doorbell Question

My house has siding. I am trying to install a Ring doorbell. Do you guys install them directly on the siding (I have a screened-in front porch, and the regular doorbell is mounted right on the siding) or on the door itself? I started drilling a pilot hole in the door, but the drill stopped spinning. I thought that the doors were made of wood, but I may be mistaken. First time living in Florida, so I'm not sure what materials are used. What are my options? If I install it on the door, what type of drill bit do I need? Thanks for your help.
Old 07-19-2021, 10:41 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Wasn't your original door bell mounted on your siding??
Install Ring where your original door bell was mounted.
Old 07-19-2021, 12:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,420 Times in 5,110 Posts

I would definitely not mount the doorbell on the door, unless it was one of those through-the-door manual doorbells.
Old 07-19-2021, 12:56 PM
Sage

There are several YouTube videos showing you how to mount a Ring Doorbell on siding.
Old 07-21-2021, 10:31 AM

Love my Ring cameras, but may consider something wired instead.
Old 07-21-2021, 05:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,177 Times in 4,234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRP2TV View Post
Love my Ring cameras, but may consider something wired instead.
A ring doorbell can be hard wired using your existing doorbell 12V wires...

-Tom Petty
Old 07-21-2021, 08:04 PM
Default Ring

I’ve always mounted them wired and have just placed them where doorbell that I replaced was. I did have to use a masonry bit on the home in TV.
Old 07-22-2021, 07:02 AM

Agree with previous posts about simply replacing your current door bell with the Ring using the existing wiring to power it. I would definitely not put it in the door frame itself, if you want it wired you'd have to route out a path for the wires and have an electrician get wiring to it through the wall & insulation, not a small task. If your concern is that the trim is slanted you can resolve that one of two ways, mount a pad over the existing ringer location that levels it up and then mount the ring to it. Pretty sure these can be purchased or easily made out of a piece of wood which you can paint or stain to go with your siding color. Otherwise, if the slope is not too bad you can adjust the ring to 'look down' so it covers the area in front of the door you want it to. Good luck.
Old 08-17-2021, 09:49 AM
Default Ring doorbell

I'm interested in installing a ring doorbell on my new home shortly after I arrive here in September. Checking them out on Amazon Ive found there are several different types and prices for them, can anyone recommend a specific model? They all seem to have good and bad reviews.
Old 08-17-2021, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzyjourneyfan View Post
My house has siding. I am trying to install a Ring doorbell. Do you guys install them directly on the siding (I have a screened-in front porch, and the regular doorbell is mounted right on the siding) or on the door itself? I started drilling a pilot hole in the door, but the drill stopped spinning. I thought that the doors were made of wood, but I may be mistaken. First time living in Florida, so I'm not sure what materials are used. What are my options? If I install it on the door, what type of drill bit do I need? Thanks for your help.

I moved into a vinyl house in Hawkins recently. I found a vendor on Etsy.com named NearlyNewModels.

He has various mounts for various models of Ring.

It turned out that the vinyl used on my house didn't match anything he has 3D-Printed, so I sent him 4 measurements (he will tell you which 4), and he custom made my mount. It cost about 30 bucks, but was worth it to me.

Let me know if you have further questions.
Old 08-17-2021, 01:17 PM
Veteran member

Anyone know the location of the bell transformer in their home. I’m assuming it it is mounted in the attic somewhere, but I can’t see it from either of the hatches. Not a big deal because I think they pretty much last forever. Just curious as to it’s location. Thanks.
Old 08-17-2021, 03:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhood View Post
Anyone know the location of the bell transformer in their home. I’m assuming it it is mounted in the attic somewhere, but I can’t see it from either of the hatches. Not a big deal because I think they pretty much last forever. Just curious as to it’s location. Thanks.
Mine is located in the attic near the ceiling access hole in the garage.
Old 08-18-2021, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtjp View Post
I'm interested in installing a ring doorbell on my new home shortly after I arrive here in September. Checking them out on Amazon Ive found there are several different types and prices for them, can anyone recommend a specific model? They all seem to have good and bad reviews.
We've installed the Ring Video Doorbell Pro in our last two houses and (knock on wood) never had a problem with either. This is a hardwired model which simply replaces your existing doorbell using the same wires for power, It is VERY easy to set up and the only issue we ever had was with poor wifi it wouldn't stay connected. Not the doorbell's fault, once we fixed our wifi issues problem solved.

Good luck, Jim
Closed Thread

Tags
siding, doorbell, door, install, ring

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.