Home Quality in The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 02-21-2011, 09:08 PM
Default Home Quality in The Villages

After three trips to The Villages, we are seriously considering having a Designer home built there. We would like to hear from any and all that have built in the last three years, and/or those that bought pre-owned homes not older than three years also, about the quality of construction from the foundation, roof, sprinkler sytems, etc. Please let us know how you feel about any part of the construction process and/or the quality of the materials placed in the home.
We would greatly appreciate any input and we are looking forward to sharing in the amazing energy level there in The Villages.
Thanks
Old 02-21-2011, 10:22 PM

I am an HVAC contractor in New England and also own a home in TV. I haven't seen anything in the construction of my home in TV that I'm unhappy about. In fact TV was using the new environmentally friendly refrigerant 410A with their high efficiency air cond. units long before the federally mandated 2010. My TV house was built in 2005 and has such a unit. (Okay they do run miles of flex duct in the attic as opposed to metal duct we use...but thats a Florida thing not just a TV thing). I feel like the electricians are using the more modern switches that are lit when not used, allowing you to find them in the dark easily. They also have the receptacles that are controlled by the switches clearly marked. Workmanship as a whole seems good. Not to Worry!
Old 02-22-2011, 07:27 AM

Very satisfied with my newly constucted home. I found it to be better than others I have owned.

Brooklyn, NY
Margate, FL
Gillette, WY
Cape Cod (Brewster), MA
Coral Springs, FL
Pittsburgh, PA
Boynton Beach, FL
Pennecamp 10/29/10
Old 02-22-2011, 08:01 AM

We closed on our Designer home in early January and have been very pleased with the construction.

Dan
Natick, MA
Village of Buttonwood 1/12/11
Old 02-22-2011, 08:08 AM

This is our fourth new home. We found only very minor items that needed to be addressed (things like touch-up painting). This was not the case with previous homes. I couldn't be happier with the quality of construction.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:23 AM

The first complaint I have had - I've lived here for 7 years - is the poor quality of the appliances. Do not get the standard GE appliances. Go for the upgrade. Also, I have had to replace the tile floor in my shower because the contractors used a very low quality grout. The structure of the house is great, no complaints.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:27 AM
Platinum member

So far, we are very pleased with our new home. We closed on Dec. 13. The main problem we are noticing is the tiles are not even. As soon as we can get everything cleared off the floors, we're going to have the tile guys come back and replace a bunch.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 02-22-2011, 08:52 AM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdul981 View Post
So far, we are very pleased with our new home. We closed on Dec. 13. The main problem we are noticing is the tiles are not even. As soon as we can get everything cleared off the floors, we're going to have the tile guys come back and replace a bunch.
And.... they will do that under your warranty... this is the third new home I have owned - and by far the best at clearing the punch list of those little things that are so aggravating... You can enter a work order on line - and it is repaired within days.

We did not care for the appliances at all (my hubs used to sell major appliances), so we took the cheapest ones, advertised them in The Sun and here on TOTV, and bought the brands we wanted.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:44 AM
Sage

GE appliances should no longer be an issue. TV has gone to whirlpool. As far as the construction goes, I was involved in high end condos and custom homes in Naples, and have seen that the villages construction is as good as any you will find in Florida. They seem to pay attention to all the small details, which does not happen in a lot of developments.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:04 PM
Default New home construction

Thanks to those who answered our inquiry about new home construction. Glad to hear positive things and if there are any others who would like to tell us of their impression of their new home experience within the last four years, let us know. Hopefully in the near future we will be contented villagers as you.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.