Rookie Questions

Closed Thread
Old 06-24-2018, 02:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,880 Times in 2,426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
The traffic is not a big deal in winter IMHO. It is most definitely NOT like the traffic in any large metro area that I am aware of. I can't recall ever having to wait through two traffic light changes in nine years. The squares and parking lots are crowded if there is a high profile group like Rocky and the Rollers or Johnny Wild, but otherwise easy squeezy. An occasional thirty minute wait at several restaurants, but you can always find a decent choice with little to no wait. Executive golf courses are pretty packed from 9:00 to 3:00, but you can usually get a tee time for one or even two at a decent time. I play early so no problem. We are coming in August this year just to see what it is like. Not worried about the heat - it is 97 degrees with a 105 heat index today in KC.
Hot is hot, but I think you will find the humidity and angle of the sun feels like this torch on you're neck and back, and when you start sweeting it pours like the rain. I also thing IMO heat index maybe higher down hear along with the suns ability to damage skin. So, make sure you have good dose of sun screen on it you plan on being out 11am to 5pm. For comparison I spent many summers in north Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Missouri, and Nebraska, but in my younger years, maybe that was factory in my opinion on summer heat and humidity?
Old 06-24-2018, 02:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Since you already have family living here,I think they are your best resource. A lifestyle visit isn’t really going to accomplish anything other than looking at homes, giving you a golf cart, and a couple rounds of golf,cost from anywhere $99 to 147 a night.

Summers are not going to be a problem for you since you own a condo up north. So I would skip the summer visit completely. We keep a home up north and come and go as we please.

If it is possible for you to purchase a home now, I would do it soon as you find a home that you were happy with. If you buy an unfurnished you can rent it on a yearly basis don’t have any wear and tear on anything that you own and it works out perfectly for many people.

You will find some who would like a multi year contract so that would take care of a big chunk of your five-year plan. Then when you do move down here it doesn’t mean that you have to stay in that home you can always look elsewhere, with the equity you built.

We purchased eight years before one of us retired . We have had the same wonderful people in our home since the week we closed.
Once one of retired we bought a home we loved.
Old 06-24-2018, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie Princess View Post
We expect to retire to TV in about 5 years. We have visited a few times (probably about 10 days total) as my parents rent a house each year in April/May.

We want to start doing our research now with a visit this coming spring. Should we plan to do the Lifestyle Preview now or rent a house for a week and do the preview in later years? We would like to try out different areas and different seasons over the next few years.

Our goal is to sell our house, buy a condo in Maine and a house in TV. We are not adverse to buying a home early and renting it out (in a few years).
Hey Rookie! What do you think this place will look like in 5 years? You need to really think long and hard about this! With a little luck your new Village's address will be just outside Magic Kingdom ! If the population now is in the 125k-130k expect another 20k-30k in 5 years.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagjr1 View Post
Hey Rookie! What do you think this place will look like in 5 years? You need to really think long and hard about this! With a little luck your new Village's address will be just outside Magic Kingdom ! If the population now is in the 125k-130k expect another 20k-30k in 5 years.
Hysterical, but true! Good thing we love the Magic Kingdom! I am worried about the growth. I was surprised to see the article about adding apartment buildings. What do people think of that?
Old 07-02-2018, 06:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie Princess View Post
Hysterical, but true! Good thing we love the Magic Kingdom! I am worried about the growth. I was surprised to see the article about adding apartment buildings. What do people think of that?
There are assisted living apartments already. I say if you aren't really sure, don't buy now.

Only you know how you make decisions. Some folks don't investigate thoroughly and some are forever in a paralysis of analysis. Most are somewhere in between. Purchasing a home is a large decision for most people. In this case you will be starting out in a strange new land.

No one can guarantee what tomorrow will bring. I have sadly watched two wonderful people who posted a lot on this forum leave this world before their plans for living here were realized.

Tags
house, years, rent, preview, areas

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.