Rookie Questions

Closed Thread
Old 06-03-2018, 06:30 PM
Default Rookie Questions

We expect to retire to TV in about 5 years. We have visited a few times (probably about 10 days total) as my parents rent a house each year in April/May.

We want to start doing our research now with a visit this coming spring. Should we plan to do the Lifestyle Preview now or rent a house for a week and do the preview in later years? We would like to try out different areas and different seasons over the next few years.

Our goal is to sell our house, buy a condo in Maine and a house in TV. We are not adverse to buying a home early and renting it out (in a few years).
Old 06-03-2018, 06:37 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie Princess View Post
We expect to retire to TV in about 5 years. We have visited a few times (probably about 10 days total) as my parents rent a house each year in April/May.

We want to start doing our research now with a visit this coming spring. Should we plan to do the Lifestyle Preview now or rent a house for a week and do the preview in later years? We would like to try out different areas and different seasons over the next few years.

Our goal is to sell our house, buy a condo in Maine and a house in TV. We are not adverse to buying a home early and renting it out (in a few years).
With the explosion in the population growth, I would not buy until about a year or less before you are really ready.
Old 06-03-2018, 06:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,088 Times in 2,230 Posts

IMHO, things change a lot in 5 years, especially here. My suggestion, keep coming for visits, then when you are closer to actually buying, come for the full lifestyle visit. Other option as you mention, is buy a house and rent it out, then when you decide to move here see if it is what you want, if not sell and buy another one.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:06 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

Great idea. I disagree you have to wait. At a conservative 4% price increase, a $300,000 house becomes $365,000 in 5 years. That is what we looked at when we bought 4 years ago and glad we did. However, a house is a big responsibility, and if you have $300,000 in the bank, you may be able to do better than 4%. Personally, we look at it as diversification.

As far as lifestyle - if you want Jan-Mar you almost have to do a lifestyle visit. You will not find anyone renting one week. You might be able to get a week in April, but I doubt it. You can easily get the first week of May - in fact I have a house in Hillsborough I would rent you for a week next may.

I think you need to come down at all times of year. the weather does change. I would say make sure you spend time in July and August, because what you will find is it is NO WORSE THAN THE MIDWEST. One of my pet peaves is how people in Wisconsin say they couldn't live in FL because of the summer heat. Then it is 95 degrees and 95% humidity hear for the whole month of August. It is actually nicer in TV because of the daily summer rainstorms. Believe me, we spend a lot of time there in the summer, because our house is rented all winter.

However, if I was going to buy, I doubt I would by in Fenney/Desoto - I would buy a resale between Brownwood and Lake Sumter. Not sure how houses down in Fenney will rent.
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 06-05-2018, 05:21 PM

Buy in with a turnkey Villa. You can visit when vacationing and you can rent it. Get to know the area and the neighborhoods. When you are ready to move
you will know where you want to be, even if the Villa turns out to be what you ultimately want. If you are going to trade up, the Villa appreciates to the same extent percentage wise as a bigger house. Sell it and buy the bigger house if that is what you ultimately decide. I think the key is " Buy In " if The Villages is your final destination.
Old 06-05-2018, 05:35 PM

Thanks to all! You have been very helpful.

I am not super worried about the summer heat as we have done many a Disney vacation in June and August. However, I am concerned about the crowds/traffic/wait times in January - March. I can see that making for a VERY cranky hubby.

How bad is it really during the winter?
Old 06-05-2018, 08:46 PM

I’m sure it depends on where you are from and what kind of traffic you are used to. We come from Michigan and laugh at what folks here think is heavy traffic. We don’t find it a problem at all.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:26 PM

Lifestyle visit is fine for a relatively short stay. But rentals are easy to find at good prices in the summer, especially if you rent for a month or more. The more time you can afford to spend here is all the more a better investment of time to make sure it is for you and to really explore and determine what areas you like the most.

As for buying, I agree with waiting until closer to retiring, but I also agree with the idea of buying sooner and grow some equity. If you buy the right place, the rent you would get during snowbird season alone would just about cover your expenses for the year. Places are easy to find in the summer to rent on short notice, but many of those same places you will find already booked in the winter into next year and even beyond.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:17 AM
Sage

Quote:
.... I am concerned about the crowds/traffic/wait times in January - March. I can see that making for a VERY cranky hubby.
Not bad at all; and it's an exciting vibe!
Of course we only live here seasonally so we have nothing with which to compare it.
We normally don't have to wait in restaurants (if you don't go at 6/6:30 PM).
And we get tee times at the time and place requested.

Last edited by Barefoot; 06-06-2018 at 01:23 AM.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:34 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer Fan View Post
I would say make sure you spend time in July and August, because what you will find is it is NO WORSE THAN THE MIDWEST.
Since you are planning to buy a condo in Maine, I don't think you need to visit in July and August.
I love Maine and it's an excellent place to spend summers.
We spend winters in The Villages and summers in Canada.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:09 PM
Veteran member

I would recommend that you seriously consider purchasing now and renting. Five years from now will likely be much more expensive than today. One post suggested that you purchase between Brownwood and Lake Sumter now. That is really good advice. In five years, we will know how the southern expansion is working out. I am just telling you what I would do now given your question. Do a lifestyle visit. They will push you toward new homes in the south but take some serious time to look at resale houses as they will all have driveways, landscaping, and lot of other amenities plus seriously lower bonds. Best of luck to you in your quest.
Poughkeepsie, NY;Buckhannon, WV;Oak Bluffs, Mass;Suitland, MD;Salt Point, NY;Camp Lejeune, NC;Highland, NY;Manassas, VA;Colchester, VT;Brookfield, CT;Tucson, AZ;Brookfield, CT;The Villages, FL; Vietnam-1967 USMC
Old 06-18-2018, 12:13 PM

I'm in the same situation as you. Already have the condo on a beach in Maine. Renting for a month this Winter and maybe buy then and rent out for a few years before moving after retiring in 5 years.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:17 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Thanks to all! You have been very helpful.

I am not super worried about the summer heat as we have done many a Disney vacation in June and August. However, I am concerned about the crowds/traffic/wait times in January - March. I can see that making for a VERY cranky hubby.

The traffic is not a big deal in winter IMHO. It is most definitely NOT like the traffic in any large metro area that I am aware of. I can't recall ever having to wait through two traffic light changes in nine years. The squares and parking lots are crowded if there is a high profile group like Rocky and the Rollers or Johnny Wild, but otherwise easy squeezy. An occasional thirty minute wait at several restaurants, but you can always find a decent choice with little to no wait. Executive golf courses are pretty packed from 9:00 to 3:00, but you can usually get a tee time for one or even two at a decent time. I play early so no problem. We are coming in August this year just to see what it is like. Not worried about the heat - it is 97 degrees with a 105 heat index today in KC.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:38 PM
Veteran member

buy now , unless you want to be close to key west in 5 years from now.
Old 06-23-2018, 12:52 PM

THANKS, everyone! I got my Villages preview packet in the mail last week. I have also been watching rentals.
Closed Thread

Tags
house, years, rent, preview, areas

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.