Seeking advice from knowledgable Villagers

Closed Thread
Old 10-26-2014, 10:56 AM
Default Seeking advice from knowledgable Villagers

Hi, we will be closing on our home in the Village of Charlotte in Nov. will not be permenant residents for a while. Will be back and forth. Could use advice from experienced residents on any and everything.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:06 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soxman View Post
Hi, we will be closing on our home in the Village of Charlotte in Nov. will not be permenant residents for a while. Will be back and forth. Could use advice from experienced residents on any and everything.
There is a search button above where you can enter in a topic to pull up previous threads.
The archived threads will offer you opinions and detailed information on every topic under the sun.
As an example, try a search on "humidistat" and you will see what I mean.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:09 AM
Gold member

Welcome to TOTV and welcome to Charlotte.

I am also in Charlotte (east of Charlotte Ct.).
Nice community, close to most things.
Not exactly sure what info you are looking for - There are social groups, golf groups, card groups etc.

I have only been here since April but if you can be more specific, I am certain that either myself or others can answer your questions.

Again - WELCOME!
Old 10-26-2014, 11:19 AM

Info such as, should I get a pest control company and a lawn mowing company right away. Should I have gutters installed, etc
Old 10-26-2014, 11:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,748 Times in 1,385 Posts

Quote:
Info such as, should I get a pest control company and a lawn mowing company right away. Should I have gutters installed, etc
Two above are easy. Pest control and lawn mowing....most definitely. In addition to the cutting you will need a lawn service to fertilize and disease control your lawn (and bushes). Plus do not over look the need for periodic weeding. When we first moved here we went on a three month trip and when we got back we were surprised by and ashamed of the weeds....huge and prolific!!!!!!!
Old 10-26-2014, 11:57 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Be sure to have the irrigation checked as soon as you can (must be done within thirty days of closing). Ditto the builder's walk through. Don't have your cutter start until after the irrigation check if at all possible. Anything done to sprinklers before the check voids what little warranty you have for lawn and irrigation.

Do have donuts installed around your sprinkler heads. This helps with breakage to some extent. More importantly, it helps prevent the grass from surrounding and smothering the sprinkler head.

There are a few companies that will give you full service for lawn and landscaping. These include Dean's, Chad's Lawn Service, Stellar and probably several other companies. Hiring a full service company means your lawn should be cut and edged, weeds taken care of both in the grass and landscaping, trimming done when needed, as well as fertilizing and pest control.

As to things like gutters, it is up to you. You can wait and see if heavy rains do lawn damage or cause excessive mold issues with no gutters. They are certainly a nice feature.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein

Last edited by redwitch; 10-26-2014 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Forgot about gutter question
Old 10-27-2014, 07:45 AM
Sage

Quote:
Hi, we will be closing on our home in the Village of Charlotte in Nov. will not be permanent residents for a while. Will be back and forth. Could use advice from experienced residents on any and everything.
When I closed on my villa, my real estate agent gave a listing of all services/vendors that needed to be contacted.

You should ask for this list as it will be helpful, and save a lot of legwork. Ask your neighbors who they use for lawn services, etc. I have found that neighbors recommendations are the best source, of info.

For any specific questions, just start a new thread.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 10-27-2014, 08:25 AM

We too are not living in TV yet and one of the things that we learned the hard way was not watering the lawn enough. The original sprinkler settings that came with the house were not long enough to keep our lawn from turning brown. We also didn't start the weed and fertilizer treatment soon enough. So...brown lawn with giant weeds throughout. It took some extra lawn treatments plus setting the sprinklers to water for three days at extended lengths of time. The water bills have been astronomical for a few months, but the lawn is now green and healthy.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.