Self-guided lifestyle preview

Closed Thread
Old 12-17-2014, 08:26 AM
Default Self-guided lifestyle preview

Hey everybody: My wife and I and our dog are driving down next week to poke around for a few days. The lifestyle previews were booked so we're on our own. I'm already in touch with a real estate agent but looking for suggestions for things to do besides look at houses. Neither one of us plays golf. In case anyone's curious I'm 53 and the wife is 44.

Thanks in advance
Old 12-17-2014, 08:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Lots of open houses to look at. Take the trolley, and get a map. Then big deep breath and just enjoy
Old 12-17-2014, 08:35 AM
Veteran member

Visit the many rec centers...there are many!
Buy the morning newspaper. Buy a map at the sales center and drive around. I guarantee you'll get lost. That's ok though...everyone does. Visit the 3 squares and talk to folks. Enjoy!
Old 12-17-2014, 10:30 AM
Sage

Visit each of the Town Squares both during the day and evenings. Talk to folks to ask about their experiences, while you're here. You'll only get a "taste" of how it is here...so you might want to come back.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Y'all will love it in TV, including the pup. We came down in August, drank the Kool-Aid and closed on our home Thanksgiving week.
In-freaking-credible is what we think of it. Living in "the bubble" has everything you want to do. We didn't want to grow old(er) looking at 4 walls; hope everyone enjoys the visit.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:19 PM

I like your enthusiasm! What was your mindset before your August visit? Were you skeptical, nervous, excited, etc.? Can you say what it was in the kook-aid that pushed you over the edge?

Are you all golfers? Still wondering what kind of trouble the the non-golfers get into.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by cms36 View Post
I like your enthusiasm! What was your mindset before your August visit? Were you skeptical, nervous, excited, etc.? Can you say what it was in the kook-aid that pushed you over the edge?

Are you all golfers? Still wondering what kind of trouble the the non-golfers get into.

YOU JUST WAIT AND SEE. YOU ARE NOT going to believe it. Here are some things to enjoy........

A repeat. Fun Facts about The Villages.
Old 12-17-2014, 04:05 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
...what it was in the kook-aid that pushed you over the edge?
I love this neologism and will be using it from now on.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:32 PM
Sage

Quote:

We were everything described above. We own a lot on a golf course in Bella Vista, AR and that's where we were going to build our retirement home. We watched a segment of "In Play with Jimmy Roberts" on The Golf Channel earlier in August about The Villages and my wife looked at me and wanted to go see it. Well, we've always been the type to research everything to the nth degree and discuss it "ad nauseum" and never do it; the next day she calls me at work and said that we had a "Lifestyle Visit" reservation in two weeks.

She has been in Federal Law Enforcement the last 27 years and said she has never felt safer anywhere as she had in The Villages - that did it for us (along with something to do 365 days a year, we hate the Midwest winters).

As I stated, The Villages is in-freaking-credible.

We are both avid golfers, but there is an incredible amount of activities for non golfers.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
We were everything described above. We own a lot on a golf course in Bella Vista, AR and that's where we were going to build our retirement home. We watched a segment of "In Play with Jimmy Roberts" on The Golf Channel earlier in August about The Villages and my wife looked at me and wanted to go see it. Well, we've always been the type to research everything to the nth degree and discuss it "ad nauseum" and never do it; the next day she calls me at work and said that we had a "Lifestyle Visit" reservation in two weeks.

She has been in Federal Law Enforcement the last 27 years and said she has never felt safer anywhere as she had in The Villages - that did it for us (along with something to do 365 days a year, we hate the Midwest winters).

As I stated, The Villages is in-freaking-credible.

We are both avid golfers, but there is an incredible amount of activities for non golfers.

And we are happy you are here.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:59 PM
Sage

TV has to be seen to be believed. No amount of words will do it justice.

Trolley tour, map, talk to anyone and everyone, visit the squares, rec centers especially Eisenhower and do what you enjoy most, with your short time in TV. The time will fly by.

The friendliness of people and the beauty will have you enthralled.

Too many words and so little time to absorb it all.

BTW - Bring your checkbook.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 12-17-2014, 10:42 PM
Sage

The lifestyle previews were booked so we're on our own.

Does that mean no sales people from The Villages will meet with you? or that you can't get one of their promo rentals?

I'm already in touch with a real estate agent
Get a Village salesperson and a resale sales person who does not work for The Villages.

but looking for suggestions for things to do besides look at houses.
What do you like to do? What do you think you would like to try or learn in retirement?
This place is like summer camp. click here

Neither one of us plays golf.
Most golfers down here are terrible at golfing but don't know any better. They enjoy playing because of the camaraderie, the fresh air, the landscape, the water birds and maybe get a little bit of exercise unless they walk.

In case anyone's curious I'm 53 and the wife is 44.

You are old enough to swim in the neighborhood pools. That must sound pretty weird.
Thanks in advance
Old 12-17-2014, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Hey everybody: My wife and I and our dog are driving down next week to poke around for a few days. The lifestyle previews were booked so we're on our own. I'm already in touch with a real estate agent but looking for suggestions for things to do besides look at houses. Neither one of us plays golf. In case anyone's curious I'm 53 and the wife is 44.

Thanks in advance
We did that last year. We spent 2 days in the area. We took the trolletyand a sales agent drove us thru some communities. Unfortunately your not going to be partipate in any activities or use the facilities. You can go to the squares and dances. But you'll still get the feel for the lifestyle. We are renting a house for Jan - March this year.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:30 AM
Sage

Might be a good idea to rent a house for a month before final decision to buy.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 12-18-2014, 09:52 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315 View Post
Might be a good idea to rent a house for a month before final decision to buy.
Most people "just know" after a few days there; heck, as soon as we drove on 466 and turned on Morse Blvd. toward Lake Sumter, my wife said "This is it"! Must have been in the air instead of the kool-aid.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.