Should we buy in the Villages-Wife will live there full time?

Closed Thread
Old 09-10-2017, 02:04 PM
Platinum member

To the OP, I believe many of us are in high states of stress, hence some of the responses. This TOTV board was most helpful to me in making the decision to move here, during the house hunting process, and for the last nine years in finding medical personnel, house maintenance folks, and learning about fun happenings and things to do in The Villages. When we moved here, my husband was still spending most of his time in Ohio. I met lots of new friends to go to the square with, eat out etc. I quickly felt comfortable by myself in a new environment. After nine years, I still wake up every morning thrilled to be in TV. There are no major cons and lots of positives. Obviously you will want to visit and do more research to see if it's a fit for you but your question to this board is a fair one.
Old 09-10-2017, 03:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
To the OP, I believe many of us are in high states of stress, hence some of the responses...
You're from New Jersey. Can you imagine going on a New York message board the day Hurricane Sandy hit and asked a bunch of questions about lifestyle on the Jersey Shore? As others have mentioned, use the Lifestyle Preview Plan and stay between 4 and 14 days at a Villages Home and have an agent show you what's available.

Actually if you want to live in The Villages proper and own a new home, time is running out. The Villages and the 35 square miles and 115,000 residents that make up The Villages between Hwy 42 and Hwy 44 is just about built out. On the homes for sale site, what you see available in the Village of Pine Hills and the Village of Osceola is all that is left. The developers have bought thousands of acres of land south of the Florida Turnpike and that will be The New Villages. As of right now, there is no golf courses, no squares, no golf cart access to what we have from that area. Make up your mind and buy something probably within the next six months, after that resales is all there will be, and that means the prices will go up or buy in The New Villages of Fenney.
Old 09-10-2017, 04:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
To the OP, I believe many of us are in high states of stress, hence some of the responses. This TOTV board was most helpful to me in making the decision to move here, during the house hunting process, and for the last nine years in finding medical personnel, house maintenance folks, and learning about fun happenings and things to do in The Villages. When we moved here, my husband was still spending most of his time in Ohio. I met lots of new friends to go to the square with, eat out etc. I quickly felt comfortable by myself in a new environment. After nine years, I still wake up every morning thrilled to be in TV. There are no major cons and lots of positives. Obviously you will want to visit and do more research to see if it's a fit for you but your question to this board is a fair one.
I totally agree. The only time we have not liked living here, is right now. At least in the Midwest, when we knew bad storms were coming, AND IT WASN'T HEARING ABOUT IT FOR 2 WEEKS, we would get into a basement; an hour later everything was over and life went on.

People are really edgy right now because of Irma; later this week everything will be better and people will respond with kind and helpful answers.
Old 09-10-2017, 05:12 PM

Thanks to all that responded. I was looking around and in The Villages last month( On line). I decided to retire last month this upcoming April 2018. We are from Philly PA-w/NJ Home-Wife wants a mild winter-I am a road dog-will live between the 3 homes. I can appreciate everyone being on edge-timing is everything and I just found this Board today. So to all that gave me help thanks-didn't think the answers were too terse. Been in Law Enforcement since I was 18. LOL -Heard much worse-Time to hang up the spurs and gun-just looking to see if the TV is worth my time-trying to give my wife of 31 yrs a great retirement also. (US Fed Govt Employee 38 yrs.)
Old 09-10-2017, 10:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlaf View Post
...Been in Law Enforcement since I was 18. LOL -Heard much worse-Time to hang up the spurs and gun-just looking to see if the TV is worth my time-trying to give my wife of 31 yrs a great retirement also. (US Fed Govt Employee 38 yrs.)
There are a lot of retired police here, and I'm sure they have a club or two. You might be able to get some insight from them, you might want to make some contacts on your end and probably find out some have retired here.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:32 AM

Irma was just here for a "Lifestyle Visit".

Didn't like it and went north.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:53 AM

I like that update-hope all are well!
Old 09-11-2017, 08:15 AM

No one can decide that except you and your spouse. As for us....been here 5 years and still lovin' it.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlaf View Post
Thanks to all that responded. I was looking around and in The Villages last month( On line). I decided to retire last month this upcoming April 2018. We are from Philly PA-w/NJ Home-Wife wants a mild winter-I am a road dog-will live between the 3 homes. I can appreciate everyone being on edge-timing is everything and I just found this Board today. So to all that gave me help thanks-didn't think the answers were too terse. Been in Law Enforcement since I was 18. LOL -Heard much worse-Time to hang up the spurs and gun-just looking to see if the TV is worth my time-trying to give my wife of 31 yrs a great retirement also. (US Fed Govt Employee 38 yrs.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
There are a lot of retired police here, and I'm sure they have a club or two. You might be able to get some insight from them, you might want to make some contacts on your end and probably find out some have retired here.
My wife and I are both LEO's (her Federal, me State). As John_W said, there are lots of LEO's here (7 in my small neighborhood alone). Welcome.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:03 AM

I am an interesting Villager myself (only 41, epileptic - but got miracle brain surgery!! Doc giving back drivers license!!!) and I have been here 3 years now. Coming from North CA - had such a pic in my head of the Villages. (My mom is here already - so older conservatives - having tea and going to bed early...) Some of those might be here too - but so many who are over 60 and act like they are my peers! LOL! I rave about this place online - "think of your fav activity, hobby, passion in life - there is a club for it! If not - you can make one!!!" I am a big artist and did theater during my school years, there are around 10 different theater groups, all levels, from retired Broadway to those who wanna try it out! (I have worked with both - and had an awesome time!!) Activities, friends, a new path in life - thats waiting for you!
Old 10-06-2017, 07:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I wouldn't move here. It's getting so crowded that no one is moving here.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:07 PM
Soaring Eagle member

rent
Closed Thread

Tags
full, time, real, folks, deal

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.