Should we buy in the Villages-Wife will live there full time?

Closed Thread
Old 09-10-2017, 10:34 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Excellent reply Fred ...............

But, to the original poster ........... I would absolutely love to have my husband working back up north and keeping me in the style to which I would like to become accustomed! This place is a paradise for a woman, especially if she does not have to take care of a man!
Now ,now Madelaine that remark cuts as much as it kicks

I recall a conversation recorded between ( I believe it was?) Winston Churchill and Lady Astor that I'll paraphase. Lady Astor exclaimed to Churchill "if you were my husband I'd offer you poison. and Winston replied to Lay Astor if you were my wife I gladly take it.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

One of us lives in TV retired, and other half still working full time. We both cook and have hobbies that keep us busy. That said living alone has its challenges. During the day is great, its dinner time until bedtime can be very lonely. It's not like when you were young and out with friends all night.

We both traveled extensively so we are used to being alone. But it can also be a challenge when one comes back to live together.
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Now ,now Madelaine that remark cuts as much as it kicks

I recall a conversation recorded between ( I believe it was?) Winston Churchill and Lady Astor that I'll paraphase. Lady Astor exclaimed to Churchill "if you were my husband I'd offer you poison. and Winston replied to Lay Astor if you were my wife I gladly take it.
Oh Rubicon, it's one of those things one says on a whim and then says "Oh, s..t I should have thought twice about putting that in writing". I have been married forever and would be lost without him, hence I call him my otherhalf, but he also traveled on business from Monday to Friday and it was really quite difficult to retire and find out I was actually married full time - I had to learn to cook all over again! Plus, we both had corporate jobs and were used to doing our own thing, our investment broker actually calls us two strong willed control freaks!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgroemm View Post
Antlaf, there is nothing wrong with your question. I imagine you are carefully weighing your options and just want some opinions or additional thoughts you have not considered from current residents of TV.
Along with Irma and her wrath....some things to consider:
Will your wife be happy as a "single" in TV; will she be open to joining activities and events "going solo?"
Does absence make the heart grow fonder or more suspicious (what is my spouse doing with all of their alone time?) in your relationship?
Do your plans include your eventual retirement and move to TV in the coming years?
Can your budget easily afford the cost and upkeep of two homes? Interest rates are low...perhaps now is the best time to buy?
How will you handle travel to and from TV? accessible? cost?

I think it is intelligent to gather as many opinions as possible and then make your final decision with your wife. Personally, I own a home in TV and love it.
Yes, like Fred said.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
One of us lives in TV retired, and other half still working full time. We both cook and have hobbies that keep us busy. That said living alone has its challenges. During the day is great, its dinner time until bedtime can be very lonely. It's not like when you were young and out with friends all night.

We both traveled extensively so we are used to being alone. But it can also be a challenge when one comes back to live together.
Congratulations, you put it so much better than I did!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 09-10-2017, 11:13 AM

I know that the ? was very vague-but I read that you get nickel and dimed. You can't do too much w/out "The Boards" OK. I want to know especial from people that live there is it all that it is "SAID" to be-or will I be looking to move on in a year or two? Thanks-I can take a ribbing-but beware that I can give it also!
Old 09-10-2017, 11:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlaf View Post
I know that the ? was very vague-but I read that you get nickel and dimed. You can't do too much w/out "The Boards" OK. I want to know especial from people that live there is it all that it is "SAID" to be-or will I be looking to move on in a year or two? Thanks-I can take a ribbing-but beware that I can give it also!
You should strongly consider a visit for you and your wife, to see what The Villages is all about.

This site gives a lot of "official" information.
Village Community Development Districts

These are other threads on TOTV. If you cannot find your answers here.....there probably are none.
Enjoy!

Thinking of moving to TV
Helpful advice and warnings for brand new Villagers.
55+ community?
Is The Villages your home, now?
How would YOU describe a typical Villager?
Smart to rent while looking for right home?
Old 09-10-2017, 11:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Are you trying to find a place to farm out your wife?
Old 09-10-2017, 11:44 AM

I asked because I read the nickel and dime you to death. Very restrictive-can not-do this or that-etc.. I ask because you people live there.
I live in a co-op-rules-rules-I have a NJ shore house in a condo-area-rules/rules-20 yr Military Police-rules/rules-now Civilian Law Enforcement-rules/rules-retiring-just need to know if it is way too crowded. Worth the money-or does anyone suggest another HOA area-That is ALL!
Old 09-10-2017, 11:47 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,312 Times in 545 Posts
Default Keep the Edsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
I think if you pose a question like that on a forum composed mainly of people who already bought here, I can reasonably predict the answers.
Kind of like---
Q: How do you like the new Edsel you bought?
A: Great!!!! Best car ever built
The few that bought an Edsel and kept it are glad they had this classic to pass on to one of their kids who had an appreciation for a classic car. Worth much more than they paid new.

OP, likely appreciated the information that apparently are others in TV in a similar position as him and his wife.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:54 AM
Gold member

Quote:
I asked because I read the nickel and dime you to death. Very restrictive-can not-do this or that-etc.. I ask because you people live there.
I live in a co-op-rules-rules-I have a NJ shore house in a condo-area-rules/rules-20 yr Military Police-rules/rules-now Civilian Law Enforcement-rules/rules-retiring-just need to know if it is way too crowded. Worth the money-or does anyone suggest another HOA area-That is ALL!
I think you really need to come and check it out together. Look up TV Lifestyle program. You can rent for one week, includes a golf cart, and is often located near one of the squares. You'll learn a lot that can't be explained in a few paragraphs.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:54 AM
Eternal Member

Have you ever been to the Villages? I would think you would come and visit to check it out. It's really hard trying to answer these questions if you don't know anything about the Villages.
Old 09-10-2017, 12:00 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
It's big, we have lots of people and it gets very crowded in season and we have rules.
Old 09-10-2017, 12:10 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,312 Times in 545 Posts

The Villages has deed restrictions but is not in a true sense a HOA similar to a Condo Association. Our deed restrictions are designed to maintain your property values and keep the community in a condition where you are proud of your neighborhood. We are a Community Development District. Refer to post number 24 for some very good additional information.

Finally, you must visit The Villages and spend some quality time here with your wife to really see what TV is all about.
Old 09-10-2017, 12:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
It's big, we have lots of people and it gets very crowded in season and we have rules.
I agree!

It's big,(I don't like) we have lots of people(I don't like) and it gets very crowded in season(I don't like) and we have rules.( I LIKE VERY MUCH )

If you don't like rules..... consider someplace else. Thanks.
Closed Thread

Tags
full, time, real, folks, deal

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.