Should we sell all our furniture?

Closed Thread
Old 02-02-2015, 12:47 PM
deestatham
Default Should we sell all our furniture?

We're getting ready to move from Maryland to TV and have a question for the more seasoned Villagers: Did you sell all your furniture or did you move/store it? We're thinking of selling most of what we have and having a decorator furnish a new home for us. Don't think our stuff here in Maryland will look good in TV. And storing it would cost a lot if we decided to just sell it on the other end. Just wondering what most of you did. For the first year, we are renting a furnished home to see if we like TV. Any wisdom you can share is greatiy appreciated. Looking to be in TV by September if all goes well with selling our house.
Old 05-30-2015, 10:04 AM
Sage

Congratulations! If possible you could check with the homeowners and see if they will rent to you weekly. That way you will be free to buy a home and not tied into a lease. Just a thought.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:09 AM

Hello from New Jersey! If things go as planned, my husband and I will be in the Villages in 4/5 years and we can't wait to get there! Right now my decor is Primitive/Colonial. I think I may switch to Shabby Chic once we're in Florida. I'm big into painting and distressing furniture. Hopefully I can find some nice, old furniture in Florida to work my magic with! Sell what we have and start fresh!
Old 02-02-2015, 01:12 PM
Veteran member

Sell, Sell, Sell.....don't bring any of it with you!
Old 02-02-2015, 01:27 PM

We sold just about everything.
We had an auctioneer haul everything to the auction house and sold everything, including one of our cars. Then we used the money to buy and color coordinate our Village home.
Everything we brought here fit into our intermediate size car.
We are so happy we did it this way and saved on moving expenses and trying to fit in early american furniture into a Florida themed home.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:39 PM

Definitely sell it. It is not worth the cost to ship and you will not get much for it on consignment.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:40 PM
Veteran member

We kept all our furniture. It is colonial, New England maple, cherry and oak. We had dark hickory wood floors installed to replace all the carpet and the white walls give great contrast. We also installed white plantation shutters. The house has the appearance of old Key West from the 1930's. You certainly may choose to get all new furniture and have a professional decorate your house. Our furniture had so many memories attached to it that we chose not to part with any of it. You will notice many homes look alike down here, inside and out, but you can do any style you choose. There is a high degree of conformity in The Villages, but we are a tolerant bunch so you can do whatever you want!
Old 02-02-2015, 01:43 PM

Keep any sentimental pieces and sell everything else. We had a huge estate sale and got rid of everything. They even bought the food out of my cupboards!

I have seen too many houses down here crammed with big, dark furniture which doesn't look right in a bright Florida house! SELL IT!
Old 02-02-2015, 01:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinning3 View Post
Definitely sell it. It is not worth the cost to ship and you will not get much for it on consignment.
Another vote for SELL.
The Consignment Stores already have lots of furniture from northern states, and it usually doesn't sell quickly in Florida.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member

We brought the things we love and sold or donated the iffy stuff. We regret some things we left behind, but more "what we're we thinking" about the things we paid to move and then gave away.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:58 PM
Gold member

I haven't moved to our home in TV yet but I am interested in the replies you are getting.

I've actually have a list started! (Wishful thinking on my part!!) Right now, I'm planning on bringing a few pieces that I think will fit into our Iris: a beautiful curio cabinet that holds my precious momentoes, an entertainment center and Mom's bedroom suite. I'm thinking about moving these items in a POD. Everything else I will sell at an auction.

My problem is Mom has a lot of sentimental items from Dad that she doesn't want to give up!! And, we both are into genealogy and talk about paper!

My main problem is talking my 90 year old mother and 86 year old aunt into moving to TV! They are both fairly active and like TV -- they just don't want to leave home. Not even all of this white stuff (snow) we have on the ground changes their minds!
Old 02-02-2015, 02:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

SELL......we did not. And if we had to do it all over again we would have sold everything except our master bedroom set as it is very special.

Did I mention SELL!!!!
Old 02-02-2015, 02:32 PM
Sage

if you love your stuff, keep it. otherwise, sell it and get new stuff...but i don't agree that good quality dark furniture does not fit into a florida home...i get sick of seeing palm tree fabrics etc which tell nothing about the real design taste of the owner. it is good to be different if you can do it with flair
Old 02-02-2015, 02:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

We brought ours. We like it. Pictures on our page. We rented a home and stored a lot in the garage when our house was being built. We had already sold our snowbird house. We had the good stuff put in a POD and stored and it was expensive.

It all depends what you want. I love our stuff. It was too nice to pitch.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:04 PM

There isn't much storage in these houses. You can't keep much in the attic because it gets very hot. If you like antique furniture bring it because there isn't much good stuff available around here.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.