Should we sell all our furniture?

Closed Thread
Old 05-30-2015, 09:41 AM

We followed your advice! We made an agreement last night to sell our home and all our furniture to a young couple with 2 kids. Settlement is July 31st. Wow! So excited! We'd love to rent a furnished, pet friendly home near 466 for August, September and October. We think that should give us enough time to buy a home. Our dog is 10 lbs, well trained and doesn't bark. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 05-30-2015, 07:02 PM

Thanks, Jnieman! Thank God for options
Old 05-30-2015, 07:11 PM
Sage

I would live out of a couple of suit cases and live all over the villages in different size homes during the hot months when there are many homes available. You might spend a little more but I'll bet you will make a much more informed decision.
Old 05-30-2015, 07:51 PM

Definitely sell or give away. You won't want it once you get here.
Old 05-30-2015, 07:53 PM
Sage
Default Should we sell all our furniture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petxpressions View Post
Sell. A lot of the northern items don't fit in down here. Bring sentimental items and wall art that you absolutely love. So many consignment stores with lovely like new items.
Have fun with a fresh start. Welcome.
If you have furniture you love from "The North" bring it and use it. This is our 3rd time in FL, we bought FL twice and it was ok. This time we kept much of our Yankee furniture and are happy. It's your decision do what you wish. You can always change your mind once you get here and try it.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:43 PM

This will be our fouteenth move, this time from Mexico to the villages.We have learned that less is more and times and tastes change. We sold our house totally turnkey and are moving all our belongins and two cats in our small Tiguan SUv; four boxes are being shipped. I have learned that a few photos and treasured items are enough; our family and memories live in our heart. It is quite a liberating feeling to move and start anew. I, for one, wish to have much less in terms of things and more in terms of experiences. Good luck to you. We are renting for three months while we look to buy...or not.
Old 05-30-2015, 09:06 PM
Sage
Default Should we sell all our furniture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryanna630 View Post
This will be our fouteenth move, this time from Mexico to the villages.We have learned that less is more and times and tastes change. We sold our house totally turnkey and are moving all our belongins and two cats in our small Tiguan SUv; four boxes are being shipped. I have learned that a few photos and treasured items are enough; our family and memories live in our heart. It is quite a liberating feeling to move and start anew. I, for one, wish to have much less in terms of things and more in terms of experiences. Good luck to you. We are renting for three months while we look to buy...or not.

Our move to TV was our 13th. Bring the things that are important to you, furniture and otherwise. We gave to charity well more than 50% of a quite large home when we moved here. Kept several rooms of Yankee furniture that we moved around for years, and am pleased we did so.
Old 05-30-2015, 09:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

I kept the stuff we love. I love the stuff we bought. I sorely miss a couple of items that we knew just wouldn't fit.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryanna630 View Post
I have learned that a few photos and treasured items are enough; our family and memories live in our heart. It is quite a liberating feeling to move and start anew. I wish to have much less in terms of things and more in terms of experiences.
I'm with you Maryanna. I say sell everything and start new.
Simplifying and streamlining life makes me feel carefree and light.
However, if you're a person that attaches sentimental memories to furniture, you'll probably want to bring some of it with you.
Just know that the Consignment Stores here have lots of furniture that people brought from up North!
Old 06-02-2015, 09:13 AM

I think that's a smart move. Many Villagers wish they would have done that. Thankfully we listened and learned. We are only bring our DR set because it works here and it does have many of memories. Everything else we're buying local.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

I weeded the heavy stuff out. We kept everything we brought (two bedrooms and a living room's worth) except our dining room set. And that wasn't because it was too dark or heavy or unfit for FL. It was because we needed a bigger buffet and Canadel was no longer making the lovely green stain that we had on our table and chairs.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:24 AM

We brought some bedroom furniture and family items with sentimental value. The rest we purchased new. Be sure you know your room measurements when purchasing furniture. The Iris has a small hallway going to the third bedroom and you can only fit a small couch through the hall. The living area is not as big as you might think and we had to eliminate one end table to allow room to walk around. It is easy to get too much furniture. The local furniture stores are very helpful, and the process of mixing old and new was fun.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:07 AM
Gold member

Downsizing is HARD! But oh so very worth it!! We gave our kids what they would take, no one wants crystal, china, or sterling. We had lots of antiques that we moved from place to place over the years. Family items, which we kept mainly out of guilt.

We sold what we could, gave away what anyone would take and donated tons of clothing, decor items etc. Even got friends to take a 1950 era Brunswick snooker table after trying unsuccessfully to sell it.

We had a consignment shop take the big antiques that no one wanted. We got pennies on the dollar, but the weight of the world was lifted from my shoulders when that truck pulled out.

We moved everything in 1 8 x16 pod and I have been shopping ever since. We feel like newlyweds setting up our first home.

I can't express how happy we are that we did not bring more. This house is like none other we have ever owned, and downsizing from 5,000 sq ft was HARD! But oh so worth it. We can make this house fit our needs now and we love that!!

Also, the cost of moving a truck load of furniture is much more than what I have spent in decorating this home. We are in no hurry and want it to feel RIGHT!

Sell, Sell, Sell!!
Old 06-16-2015, 07:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

We filled a Goodwill truck but still brought a lot. Our furniture is enjoying Florida. We decorated out first home here beachy and sold it furnished.

I like our stuff. Glad I brought it.

I anguished over this decision. But chose to bring our stuff.

It is a personal choice. I love to for lack of a better word, decorate. You can make almost anything current if you study decorating books....AND if that matters to you.

I wanted pretty...and comfortable with a dash of glitz.

I really enjoyed our white, beachy home in Hadley, but I am enjoying this one too. Sea Blue accent walls brings it a bit of tropical.

We need to get that decorating club started at my house.

Limit to 12? Take turns at each others homes hosting? Hostess decides the topic and we all bring articles and pictures to talk about it. Time for discussion of personal projects and perplexing delimmas? Talk about trends and choices and projects? Send me an email if you still wanna do that.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:04 AM

My gosh....i have no less than 50 photo albums and scrapbooks....and they will come with me! and if DARK wood does not fit...why are houses sold with DARK cabinets and DARK hardwood flooring in TV?

I confess...much of our furniture is cherry....and while I will not be bringing much, (our bedroom set, dining room, living room which includes a piano)...I think it will look just fine in TV. Lighthouses and beachy things certainly coordinate with cherry wood. I will be decorating for my taste...and if it doesn't fit in and any of you see it....don't tell me..let me just be fat and happy.

I sent our kids an e mail that said...tell me what you want and if it is not going to Florida...it comes to your house. I think we are going to have an auction to sell the rest.

Rethinking about purchasing now instead of when the house sells so we can move a little at a time???? At least we don't have to move appliances...those are always a pain.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.