Should we sell all our furniture?

Closed Thread
Old 06-16-2015, 10:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathyandSteveG View Post
My gosh....i have no less than 50 photo albums and scrapbooks....and they will come with me! and if DARK wood does not fit...why are houses sold with DARK cabinets and DARK hardwood flooring in TV?

I confess...much of our furniture is cherry....and while I will not be bringing much, (our bedroom set, dining room, living room which includes a piano)...I think it will look just fine in TV. Lighthouses and beachy things certainly coordinate with cherry wood. I will be decorating for my taste...and if it doesn't fit in and any of you see it....don't tell me..let me just be fat and happy.

I sent our kids an e mail that said...tell me what you want and if it is not going to Florida...it comes to your house. I think we are going to have an auction to sell the rest.

Rethinking about purchasing now instead of when the house sells so we can move a little at a time???? At least we don't have to move appliances...those are always a pain.

I like your attitude.

I always tell people, If you don't like our "stuff", please lie. lol.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:54 AM

This world would be mighty boring if we all had the same tastes and same opinions about everything.......that's what the spice of life is about. We learn from each other and embrace our differences!

Selling everything is probably a great idea...but I can't.....and I don't need to...so my dark wood is coming to TV....and I will even get some new things....and my new house will be a home full of love mixed with the excitement of a new beginning for us.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:35 PM

Graciegirl, I tried to send you a private message but I'm not sure that it went through . It seemed to time out. Anyway I am still very interested in a decorating group and would be happy to work with you to get something organized. I think a few of us should meet for coffee and maybe figure out a plan. I like the idea of rotating through different houses. Let me know your thoughts. P.M. me and we can exchange phone and email if you like.
Old 06-22-2015, 06:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassieInVa View Post
Graciegirl, I tried to send you a private message but I'm not sure that it went through . It seemed to time out. Anyway I am still very interested in a decorating group and would be happy to work with you to get something organized. I think a few of us should meet for coffee and maybe figure out a plan. I like the idea of rotating through different houses. Let me know your thoughts. P.M. me and we can exchange phone and email if you like.

Will do. Here is an idea. Those who want to gather to talk about décor, PM Cassie and she will keep the list. I will be glad to have the first meeting.

Please come Cathy, of Cathy and Steve, and Jeannie too. Can't remember who else wanted to come, but let's not get great big. Just a little bunch of us so we won't have to worry about having enough room. But those that responded or anyone else that likes to decorate their home and enjoy others efforts, PM Cassie.
Old 06-22-2015, 06:53 AM

Gracie...if and when i get there i would love to join in! Thank you.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:01 AM

Gracie, I haven't received any private messages from anyone other than you yet. I'm still interested and I think once we get started there would definitely be interest!
Old 06-25-2015, 07:05 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassieInVa View Post
Gracie, I haven't received any private messages from anyone other than you yet. I'm still interested and I think once we get started there would definitely be interest!

Jbartle and I are meeting for lunch Thursday. She hasn't told me where yet.

I am so glad CassieInVa is in but she can't make the lunch this week. We would like to keep the group so small that we can meet in each other's homes.

Anyone want to come to lunch Thursday? Jeannie is going to tell us where she wants to eat.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:28 AM
Sage

Next Thusday we will meet for lunch at Crispers and anyone who wants to discuss forming a small decorator group is invited.

Twelve Thursday July 2nd at Crispers. We will be inside looking like people do who are thinking about a decorator group. I will be wearing short white hair and Helene and JBartle are coming so far. Just show up and we will figure something out about what we should do. This is for a small decorator club. That can meet in peoples homes and discuss trends and members projects.

My next project is doing something with an old tired three drawer chest.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:04 AM

I'm in!
Old 06-25-2015, 10:11 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
snipped
My next project is doing something with an old tired three drawer chest.

Repurposing? Lookie here:

repurpose three drawer chest - Bing Images

Old 06-25-2015, 10:28 AM
Default about that "old tired chest"

Has anybody used chalk paint to give vintage furniture a new look?

If you Google "Annie Sloan Chalk Paint" you will find lots of information. Annie Sloan is the only brand I am aware of, but there are probably others.

My guess is there are those among us who probably used antiquing kits on our hand-me-down furniture way back in the 19??s. -- I turned my maple bedroom set a rather putrid shade of avocado-ish/olive-ish green. (I thought it was beautiful. My mom did not.)

But my worst offense was turning a lovely mahogany sideboard yellow. (gasp) -- I later came to my senses and had it restored to its original finish. I still have it.

But enough about my younger days and back to chalk paint.....

I still like the look of painted furniture and chalk paint offers some creative possibilities.

Last spring when we went to the Leesburg Art Festival, we found a family-business, a little shop that had just opened. They carried Annie Sloan paint and were planning workshops. The name of the store is Pop Vintage. I have not been back there since, but I just now Googled them and saw they are on Facebook.

So anyway, just thought I would throw this information into the thread for those of you who are eyeing a piece of furniture that has good bones but needs a little lift, and you are thinking, "Hmmmmmm, how would you look if you were turquoise or white or yellow or whatever favorite color?"

Last edited by Laurie2; 06-26-2015 at 07:39 AM.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:46 PM

Ok, I'm in but Bargains and Treasures is scheduled to pick up some furniture that day that I'm consigning, so fingers crossed the timing works out. Looking forward to meeting everyone!
Old 06-27-2015, 06:29 AM
Platinum member

Please count me in! I'll be back in mid-September. It will be so nice to meet you folks.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:27 AM
Veteran member

If you like your current furniture and it makes you feel good why sell it.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:42 AM

Sell it! Keep a few pieces that have sentimental value and sell the rest. New life, new surroundings! We paid $1800 to get our stuff here to sell in a garage sale for 25 cents (:
Good luck and hope you enjoy TV as much as most of us do!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.