Should we sell all our furniture?

Closed Thread
Old 07-15-2015, 03:57 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama C View Post
Sell it! Keep a few pieces that have sentimental value and sell the rest. New life, new surroundings! We paid $1800 to get our stuff here to sell in a garage sale for 25 cents (:

Good luck and hope you enjoy TV as much as most of us do!

All we are bringing are my tools. They are useful and serve a definite purpose.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyD View Post
All we are bringing are my tools. They are useful and serve a definite purpose.
And a chair doesn't?
Old 07-15-2015, 05:21 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
And a chair doesn't?

Need tools to make the chair.
Old 07-15-2015, 05:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Sell or Keep

There is no love loss for our furniture.... But, you may have a story with your individual pieces... Here is a thought, on your way down, stop at the Furniture Capital of the World, North Carolina furniture market (our former home). We sold our house furnished to the first couple. Went to market
and purchased furniture after we bought home (did a lot of measuring, especially windows (local made window treatments, all we had to do was
hang rods)...

One downside, brought many personal items that ended up in a huge pile in the middle of our new driveway, ole boy was ready for move to be OVER, so
we had it hauled away... to this day, if something is missing, I say, I bet it was in the pile, the ole boy says he will take that to his grave....giggle.

Every home we have sold was sold furnished...Every home was unique in so many ways and we were so fortunate to live in NC and furnish accordingly.

My advice, enjoy your new beginning, either with or without your treasures. Welcome to Paradise.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deestatham View Post
We're getting ready to move from Maryland to TV and have a question for the more seasoned Villagers: Did you sell all your furniture or did you move/store it? We're thinking of selling most of what we have and having a decorator furnish a new home for us. Don't think our stuff here in Maryland will look good in TV. And storing it would cost a lot if we decided to just sell it on the other end. Just wondering what most of you did. For the first year, we are renting a furnished home to see if we like TV. Any wisdom you can share is greatiy appreciated. Looking to be in TV by September if all goes well with selling our house.
Would HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you sell furniture that you have and not bring it here. I did, and deeply regret it. People here don't want to pay high prices for fine furniture and that furniture just won't look right in your home here, most likely. Then there is the issue of the cost of storing and moving it all. Now there is the issue of the movers denying all liability for damages that they caused to said furniture. One hint: if you do move it, take hundreds of pictures of all expensive pieces before you have a mover move it. If you unload into storage at TV, they will consider self-delivered and say that they cannot prove this damage happened since day of delivery and time of claim even if within timelimit. Take lots and lots of pics (with a friend and several cameras) on moving day, take pics of their moving men to rebut "self-delivery," and make sure (even if it is pitch black out when they finish) that you mark all damage on inventory sheet. If you need more time because you just wrote it down as you saw it and photographed it, then take it and make them stay overnight. Don't be bullied into signing inventory pages in the dark no matter how tired you are. Learn from my disaster! Also avoid Delaware Moving and Storage (Wheaton) because I consider them to be the worst movers EVER~! I had tremendous damage to my dining room set, my sofas, my desks, and many other items of fine furniture. Denied claim because of "self-storage," and inventory sheet signed in dark w flashlight didn't show the damage we noted.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:52 PM

I'm interested in this too as we are moving from Ontario this Fall...
Old 08-10-2015, 07:58 PM

Have to agree...we sold most of our stuff, brought a few pieces of furniture. Bought all new for our bedrooms (3). I do think that it is a personal preference, depending on how attached you are to your furniture. It's a lot of work getting your pieces down here and into your new home.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:29 AM

Sell.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:19 AM
Sage

Dee:

I see you have decided to sell your furniture. A smart move.

I agree with the theme that one can bring items they love but it's soooooooooo much better to move with your toothbrush. Decluttering is a freeing experience.

One always has to decorate their home to make it theirs.

The stress of moving is definitely worth it!!!

Best wishes on your move and hopefully your home will sell, in a short period of time.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 08-11-2015, 08:04 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Probably yes. Give your favorite pieces to your children, siblings, cousins or friends. When one moves to Florida, Hawaii, the Southwest, the furniture, lighting, ambiance and so on are completely different. You will better enjoy your home home with furnishings befitting the area in which you reside.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 08-12-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaW1948 View Post
I'm interested in this too as we are moving from Ontario this Fall...
Bring heirlooms you cannot give to family members and sell or give away everything else! You will be happy you did.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:10 PM

Glad I read this thread. We're having a house built (close on 9/11) and bought all new furniture because we're going to rent it out for awhile until we're ready to sell our home in MI and move to TV. We felt it was quite an expensive hit to have to buy furniture while we have a house full of furniture here that's not very old. Never thought about the cost of moving everything though. Maybe we'll get lucky and sell our MI house furnished!
Old 08-12-2015, 08:19 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcuse View Post
Bring heirlooms you cannot give to family members and sell or give away everything else! You will be happy you did.
Good advice- the thousands of dollars that we spent to move stuff, looking back. was a waste. You will most likely have a different style home and life pattern ( light and active)
Old 08-15-2015, 08:43 AM

We moved here with the minimum from back home....grill, TV, outdoor patio set, one bedroom set, pots and pans, and other large items....minimum was $1200...with United which were excellent.....it was cheaper to buy a new living room, dining room and one other bedroom set...the prices are so reasonable and the styles are different down here than where we lived. Happy we did it.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.