Single and moving to the villages this week!

Closed Thread
Old 08-13-2018, 08:16 AM
Default Single and moving to the villages this week!

Hi......
My name is Melissa and I am a single 60 year young woman moving to the villages on Wednesday! I’m scared but excited for my new life! I still will be working as a consultant for a major cruise line so unfortunately not fully retired. I would welcome any help from some fellow singles to show me around and get me acclimated to this “Single World” here! It’s very scary coming here alone!
Appreciate any support!
Melissa

Last edited by Missyz; 08-15-2018 at 07:11 AM.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

Missyz,
IMHO, I would suggest you remove your post, at a minimum remove your email. There is a singles club, I think Chachacha is generally in charge, do a search on this site or send her a private message. This site is OPEN to the public and there are lurkers that may not have your best interests at heart.
Welcome to the Villages, hope you enjoy it here.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:14 AM

Hi Melissa
I too am a single woman -a 64 ur old social worker. I just bought a beautiful home in Sumter Landing area on my own. I won't be in Florida until November, but you're welcome to get in touch with me then. My email is NancysPlace519@gmail.com. I've wintered in The Villages by myself for two yrs. Here's some advice: Get the recreation news from one of the Recreation Centers each week. (its like a little newspaper) Pick out the recreation activities that speak to you!! Make a schedule for yourself around your work hours. Try to do at least i or 2 activities each day. Introduce yourself and start talking with people at these activities. You'll generally see the same people each week and can begin developing friendships. I met several women when I signed up for beginner pickle ball lessons. We exchanged phone numbers and would meet each other to practice. You'll do fine! Best, Nancy
Old 08-13-2018, 09:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Missyz,
IMHO, I would suggest you remove your post, at a minimum remove your email. There is a singles club, I think Chachacha is generally in charge, do a search on this site or send her a private message. This site is OPEN to the public and there are lurkers that may not have your best interests at heart.
Welcome to the Villages, hope you enjoy it here.
Oh well, you tried.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby10 View Post
Oh well, you tried.
He did and so did dew.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:44 AM
Veteran member

OMG some people are so naive. You will be fine in The Villages, but use a little discretion. If you were moving to NYC would you post your name and e mail. Well, there are many nice people in TV, but there are also, like anywhere, some slim balls. Sorry.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilcon View Post
there are also, like anywhere, some slim balls. Sorry.
Hey I told you that was a private medical condition!!
Old 08-13-2018, 12:02 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,573 Times in 1,749 Posts

Back when I was considering (as a single) moving to The Villages I found TOTV to be an incredible resource in many ways. Posters were quite helpful and a few sincerely welcomed me upon my arrival. Thank you! You know who you are. Unfortunately a serious life changing medical condition developed in a close family member which kept me from making the move which I wanted to make. Life happens. If I had moved to TV I am certain I would have become an orgulous villager like so many other posters.

As others have mentioned, OP, you may want to delete your email address unless you created one solely to meet some very nice folks in TV.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 08-13-2018, 02:14 PM
Sage

I'm chiming in as well....PLEASE do not ever post your contact info (ie. e-mail, phone # etc.) on social media as it's just plain NOT safe!!! In your profile folks should be able to click and private message you!!!
Old 08-13-2018, 02:19 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,573 Times in 1,749 Posts

I believe ncl.com is the url of Norwegian Cruise lines.

If so that is a work email, not a personal one. Still...

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 08-15-2018, 07:10 AM
Default Thanks for the concerns

Yep...that was kind of dumb of me to put my email... live and learn!
Hopefully no crazy stalkers!!!
Old 08-15-2018, 08:59 AM

We are new to the Villages also, we are renting a home here until our home closes in a few weeks. From what my wife and I are seeing there are many groups for people to join and also there are a lot of fun times in the Squares of Sumter Landing and Spanish Springs where I am sure is a good hangout to meet people. We came from a private community in Ohio where they instituted a wave, so when people passed by in cars or golf carts always waved at each other. We think that would be a great idea here to start in The Villages, it really gives you a sense of security and well being in the community. Maybe someone with a lot of pull in the community can this started. Good Luck to you in your search.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

I am a single and almost 60 male. Been in the Villages since age 46 or so. Doggie Doo Run Run is an excellent place to socialize if you have a dog and make a commitment to get to know the people as well as keep your guard up. Pooches are often but not always a very good judge of other people's character.

There are numerous other ways to meet singles in the Villages but the Villages' own dog parks and those private ones-- like Doggie Doo Run Run-- are good places to cultivate friendships.

The Villages has lots of clubs too.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 08-15-2018 at 11:28 AM.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:10 PM
Veteran member

I moved here as a single, not knowing anyone. PM me and we can talk offline. I love it hare. Many great singles and activities. Have no fear
Old 11-28-2018, 01:00 PM
Send a message via AIM to newgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyz View Post
Hi......
My name is Melissa and I am a single 60 year young woman moving to the villages on Wednesday! I’m scared but excited for my new life! I still will be working as a consultant for a major cruise line so unfortunately not fully retired. I would welcome any help from some fellow singles to show me around and get me acclimated to this “Single World” here! It’s very scary coming here alone!
Appreciate any support!
Melissa
Hi!
I have been going back and forth from Mi the last year and just bought a home in The Villages 4 months ago. It is harder to meet single people in our age group,( especially being a single woman sadly) most activities are geared to couples and older singles ie: baby boomers, sumpter singles etc.. I am thinking about starting a singles group under say 65 or start a branch off of South of Sixty ( great group but also most are couples ) to connect with others who are looking to start our lives here in The Villages..and make lifetime friends . Contact me if you are looking for a new friend, or interested in getting a new group started. My email if joysell@aol.com I would like to find others close to my age to explore my new hometown with.
Closed Thread

Tags
single, villages, moving, singles, fellow

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.