Smart to rent while looking for right home?

Closed Thread
Old 07-02-2017, 05:32 AM

In my opinion coming down to rent for a month now will tell you where you will want to settle and will be less expension. You can drive around checking out all the areas, go to open houses and see which model you would like, go to the squares, talk to people you meet about their experiences. We put our home on the market and lo and behold it sold right away so now we had to find a home.We had two realtors, one with the villages and one outside realtor that looked for the home we wanted. We actually found the home we wanted on line. We knew the model and we knew the area so we had some friends we made while renting take a look at the place for us and that sealed the deal. It was less stressful because we negotiated the closing date at both places that worked for us so we could have time to do all the things you do when you move. Things like a garage sale, finding a mover, deciding what your going to take and not take. This worked out great for us. To each his own, you will find it here in the villages.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:18 AM
Default home types/designs???

Dear All,
We are planning a retirement down there either in mid '18 or mid '19(depending on retirement schedule). I have visited once last year, plan another this winter, and have looked at homes online. I see the various model types, but I was hoping there was something that describes what is unique on each model or type? Based upon these threads, I definitely plan to rent first, but I would like to do as much research as possible, so we're prepared when we get there. Thanks in advance, and thank you for all your valuable opinions. MikeM Vermont
mullinmj@gmail.com
Old 10-09-2017, 01:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EviesGP View Post
Dear All,

We are planning a retirement down there either in mid '18 or mid '19(depending on retirement schedule). I have visited once last year, plan another this winter, and have looked at homes online. I see the various model types, but I was hoping there was something that describes what is unique on each model or type? Based upon these threads, I definitely plan to rent first, but I would like to do as much research as possible, so we're prepared when we get there. Thanks in advance, and thank you for all your valuable opinions. MikeM Vermont

mullinmj@gmail.com

No matter how much research you do you’ll won’t be as prepared until you live here long enough. By that time you’ll be looking for another house in another neighborhood. So, my opinion is to find a house that will be easy to sell once you think you’ll be settled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-09-2017, 04:57 PM

Your best bet is to see - in person and online - the type of home you want first...designer, cottage, courtyard or patio villa, what your budget may be and whether you want to buy resale or new. We are in the Village of Fenney - just moved in 2 weeks ago! We have a courtyard villa because we didn't want a lot of upkeep, and there's too much to occupy your time here and then worry about taking care of a big home! Go on The Villages app and look at homes for sale, you can apply filters to narrow your search. Also do the virtual tours. Will give you a much better idea of what you want and don't want. It helped us immensely when we were looking and don't regret it. We absolutely love our home and the location! Good luck!
Old 10-09-2017, 08:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

We rented three times from 2007 to 2010. We bought our first home in 2010 which we basically used as a vacation home for us and our family. 2012 we bought A cottage home and thought that was It, but 2 car garage was not enough. In 2014 we found a model we loved and moved again. We don’t seem to have an attachment to where we live now. We have owned three houses, but does not mean something else may come along.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
We rented three times from 2007 to 2010. We bought our first home in 2010 which we basically used as a vacation home for us and our family. 2012 we bought A cottage home and thought that was It, but 2 car garage was not enough. In 2014 we found a model we loved and moved again. We don’t seem to have an attachment to where we live now. We have owned three houses, but does not mean something else may come along.

Interesting thought, you don’t seem to have an attachment.
I’ve thought of that since we feel the same way. It might have to do with the ginormous selection of homes and all the
neighborhoods essentially look and feel the same. Although we much prefer the home were in now. Spec built but with 95% of the amenities we would have had if we built.

Old 10-09-2017, 09:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiotte View Post
Interesting thought, you don’t seem to have an attachment.
I’ve thought of that since we feel the same way. It might have to do with the ginormous selection of homes and all the
neighborhoods essentially look and feel the same. Although we much prefer the home were in now. Spec built but with 95% of the amenities we would have had if we built.

We still own our home up north, and so far have no plans on selling, for awhile. It’s our third house we built there also. We love to leave the heat, and I really do love snow. So multiple homes are still our lifestyle.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:58 PM
Veteran member

My attachment is to my neighborhood, not a physical house. I am not very materialistic but I value the quality of life with the nicest people in The Villages. A house is just a place to live. A home is near my friends. I’m a total frog, hear til I croak.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:44 PM

We secured a rental while still in Las Vegas through Property Management. After driving 4 days, with pets, we were disappointed by many aspects of the rental process. We have currently put our house hunting on hold to deal with the many issues on the rental property. It's disappointing. 😢
Old 10-27-2017, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disappointed TV renter View Post
We secured a rental while still in Las Vegas through Property Management. After driving 4 days, with pets, we were disappointed by many aspects of the rental process. We have currently put our house hunting on hold to deal with the many issues on the rental property. It's disappointing. 😢
I am sorry that you had a bad experience. Perhaps if you share more details, we can offer some suggestions to turn things around for you.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

We had good friends whose opinions on things we had trusted for many years who bought here and loved it.

So when we came here the first time we were incredulous about all of the wonderful stuff, but trusted our friends would never invest in anything not worth it.

So we went home and studied all of the different models and decided we would come down and buy a courtyard villa and came down and bought a designer. Right next to the Odell pool. Loved it. Loved the neighbors. Loved the Villages.

We are in second home and love this place even more.

I do not work for The Morses, but am a huge fan.
Old 10-28-2017, 08:11 AM

We rented for short periods then bought a small villa, waited for other house to sell and finally moved to a bigger one. Most of us know when you walk into a house what you like and don't like right away so, what is different about The Villages as there is so much choice. Many answers are in posts above. We found that LSL, Spanish Springs and Brownwood became places we visited less over time. Getting around, in and out of The Villages important hence location. Rec centers are everywhere. If we had to do it again, we wouldn't move so much furniture, just the basics and long-distance moving is very expensive. Moving around her is very, very inexpensive and there are people even to help you put things away, also reasonable, soi if you pick the house you love and have a nasty neighbor, moving is a viable option. Deals come up all the time. If a fantastic deal comes up be ready to pounce and not tied up in a yearly lease. A storage unit is a good choice.
The Villages is not perfect but as you look around, it's way better any over 55 place we have ever found. Here it is less about the house and more about the people enjoying themselves and all the things The Villages haveset in place. People in Mulberry say "Don't tell too many but we have the very best location here! All the way down to Fenny you will hear something similar. In short, they are saying despite a few pluses and minuses, they are happy here. Figure out your price range, spend as little long distance costs as you can, store until ready to pounce, rent short term, are all good options. Welcome, you will love it here.
Old 10-28-2017, 08:57 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

A lot of people rent and get a feel for TV prior to buying. This seems very logical. I'm not that logical, so we selected a floor plan, purchased a lot and built the house based on our selected finishes and kick-outs. Ended up being perfect.......we ain't moving/selling.

Good Luck.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
A lot of people rent and get a feel for TV prior to buying. This seems very logical. I'm not that logical, so we selected a floor plan, purchased a lot and built the house based on our selected finishes and kick-outs. Ended up being perfect.......we ain't moving/selling.

Good Luck.
We are doing the same. We've purchased a lot and have selected a house. We're a delayed start so building won't begin until February which gives us time to sell our current house.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:35 AM
Email Reported As Spam

If I had to do it over again, I would rent in the winter months and have stayed in my dream home in MN
Closed Thread

Tags
home, renting, selling, find, love

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.