Smart to rent while looking for right home?

Closed Thread
Old 10-30-2017, 03:26 AM
Default Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
If I had to do it over again, I would rent in the winter months and have stayed in my dream home in MN
our solution downsize up north and downsize in The Villages. Lifetime friends, family, healthcare and culture not given up
Old 10-30-2017, 07:00 AM

We sold our home in Michigan and rented in TV in September. Best decision! We rented a furnished home and put our belongings in PODS. We close on our new home on Nov. 6 in Pine Hills
Old 10-30-2017, 10:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts

We rented in the winter for the month of March for two years then for three months in the winter before we moved. Gave us an opportunity to experience the amenities, talk to a bunch of people and learn the different areas. We finally purchased south of 466A and friends questioned our sanity for purchasing so for south. Now it appears we will be close to the center. The Villages is moving away from being one Community and becoming serveral local communities, not a bad thing or a good thing, just a different thing.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 10-30-2017, 11:38 AM
Gold member
Default You will find many different opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter777 View Post
We are relocating to TV from Illinois (yippee!) early next year and are thinking about selling our home then renting something small in TV until we find the house we really love and can pay for it outright. Would do unfurnished rental, movers bring all our stuff then once we find a home we can gradually move some stuff ourselves then furniture with local mover. May be a bit more pricey but less stress? Fear is selling current home and flying down to TV for a week and having to pick something just because we have to and not loving it! Has anyone done this before with the renting before buying? Would love ALL opinions, thanks! 😊
You will hear prices are going up. My thought so is the price on your current home.

RE: selling your place AND PAYING CASH. In my OPINION mortgage money is still CHEAP. Thanks to GOVERNMENT PROGRESSIVE THOUGHT they cannot disqualify you from a mortgage due to AGE. A 99 year old can get a 30 year mortgage-HUH? Hopefully, you have someone you can show your entire financial situation to and they can properly discuss this with you.

As to pressure. Of course there is pressure. Selling your home. Packing moving, getting rid of stuff you have accumulated is an adventure at best.

For us, we bought our place in the villages before selling our home. LUCK< TIMING< PLANED all apply. We sold our previous place in two weeks, with a full price CASH deal.
Truth, is I had planed it would take longer to sell and it was a bit of pressure to pack and get rid of stuff.

Suggestion-take pictures of everything. The only proof you will have if a box is lost stolen smashed etc is if you have pictures of what you put into the box. I would also take pictures of the condition of your emptied home.

As you know the buyer is entitled to a walk through before closing. I GAVE them perhaps $1,000 worth of furniture, an antique clock, industrial quality shelving a full set of garden tools and power equipment all of which I coulda shoulda sold. Without saying anything to me at the closing they wanted me to leave 1500 in escrow to cover cleaning.
This sort of crap seems to have gotten to be common practice.

We had our stuff on the moving van all was lined up. The buyer who I liked turned into a monster. I was angry not just at them but at myself for misjudging them. My wife typically. publicly said give it to them. My atty since it was not her money apparently had already agreed to this $1500. THEY WERE ALL SHOCKED WHEN I REMEMBERING KRUSHOVE SLAMING HIS SHOE ON THE TABLE, told them loud and clear THAT IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

Your way HOPEFULLY will be less pressure. Less pressure, MORE CONTROL, might cost you a little bit more-there is a good chance it will also allow you to get more for you current home and find a place in the villages that will fit you. Many people here end up buying a bigger or smaller place then they first thought. WOW, do it right the first time and you save moving expenses, furniture that does not fit, closing costs etc etc etc etc
Old 11-03-2017, 08:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by suesiegel View Post
WOW, do it right the first time and you save moving expenses, furniture that does not fit, closing costs etc etc etc etc
Unfortunately, circumstances often change as we age.
It's often said that the average Villager moves three times.
I don't think that's a result of poor planning, just lifestyle changes.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:49 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,572 Times in 1,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Unfortunately, circumstances often change as we age.
It's often said that the average Villager moves three times.
I don't think that's a result of poor planning, just lifestyle changes.
Maybe due to the three phases they go through if they live long enough? young old, old, and old old.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 11-06-2017, 04:35 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,335 Times in 729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disappointed TV renter View Post
We secured a rental while still in Las Vegas through Property Management. After driving 4 days, with pets, we were disappointed by many aspects of the rental process. We have currently put our house hunting on hold to deal with the many issues on the rental property. It's disappointing.
I am not blaming you as the victim here but generally most posters report more problems dealing with property management firms than dealing directly with the owners. If you are in a shorter term arrangement I would consider seeking out an owner managed property.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:27 PM

I have read several comments on here about making sure you settle in a good location. Where is a good location? Or maybe more important, what location to not get into? Can you have a fence anywhere you go or just certain properties? We have a dog. Thanks for any replies. Coming down for a week next moth to start looking around.
Old 11-12-2017, 03:26 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,427 Posts

If you are coming down next month, start talking to a sales agent now. He or she can answer all of your questions and more before you get here. A week goes by very fast so plan on a fast paced schedule if you want to see all of The Villages and what each has to offer. All locations are good for one reason or another, some are 30 years old some are just being built but they all have their good and bad points, mostly good. Dog fences in most cases are a no no, a courtyard villa has a little yard for dogs, you might want to ask to see some of those. We have a dog, no fence or courtyard, we walk him 3 or 4 times a day and there are also dog parks here and there.

Good luck with your search.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:26 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clogletn View Post
I have read several comments on here about making sure you settle in a good location. Where is a good location? Or maybe more important, what location to not get into? Can you have a fence anywhere you go or just certain properties? We have a dog. Thanks for any replies. Coming down for a week next moth to start looking around.
Location is where you are most comfortable. Villages near Nancy Lopez are not as busy and have less traffic, albeit fewer pools than where I live, in Lynnhaven. Trending is "younger" people moving in near Brownwood. The historic side is a great place for those who don't want to pay a bond. Fenney is desirable to some for price and nature views. The only one that can decide the best location is you. Everywhere in The Villages is wonderful... I don't think you can make a bad choice.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
Old 11-13-2017, 04:39 PM

We are planning to buy a home in TV within a year. Prior to buying, we are thinking of renting. Since we will probably be coming down during the winter, the rental prices will be very expensive in The Villages. We are thinking of possibly renting somewhere fairly close to The Villages, but are unfamiliar with the surrounding area. What other nearby towns might be a good option for renting. Any recommendations would really be appreciated. We are very much looking forward to being Villagers in the near future!
Old 11-16-2017, 11:05 AM

Back in june we signed a contract to sell our home up north. We got on a plane , came to the villages , and within a week michelle from the villages property management found us a rental . There were many to choose from, with consideration of budget and preference (new/old, furnished/unfurnished, pets). Lease terms options also available.
We too moved furniture and household items (more than necessary). We have no regrets as we explore and enjoy tv without the stressors associated with buying while transitioning from our old life in ny.
Settling into tv includes finding desirable social spiritual financial and medical services. We have a year lease and are very happy with our decision. Good luck with yours
Old 11-16-2017, 11:36 AM
Gold member

We sold our house in Illinois two years ago. We hardly took anything with us to The Villages. Didn't make sense to bring down old furniture and pay a huge cost to do so. You would be surprised how many people ship their stuff down here only to toss it out a year later. We rented furnished house for three months in the summer months. We took our time because we wanted to make the right decision the first time. You should concentrate first on the location. Then the house that you want. Keep in mind Lake County real estate taxes are higher then Sumter and Marion county. I've heard as much as $1,500 more for a comparable house. Ask lots of questions!! Link for you below for tips:

12 Buying Tips For THE VILLAGES in FLORIDA - YouTube
Closed Thread

Tags
home, renting, selling, find, love

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.