Smart for two EQ

Closed Thread
Old 01-13-2021, 07:31 AM
Default Smart for two EQ

We are moving to the Villages in March. While there last week I drove a golf cart and really didn't care for it. I am looking at buying a smart ForTwo eq. Are there any other smart car owners out there?
Old 01-13-2021, 01:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

OP, check on the restrictions on these types of vehicles, specifically with the golf courses, the multimodal paths, etc. I see lots of these types of vehicles around but I have also seen discussions about where they supposed to be allowed or not allowed. You did not mention what type of golf cart you tried and did not like, we have a 2017 Yamaha quiet tech efi, great cart, you can even carry on a conversation without the need to raise you voice.
Old 01-13-2021, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipd411 View Post
We are moving to the Villages in March. While there last week I drove a golf cart and really didn't care for it. I am looking at buying a smart ForTwo eq. Are there any other smart car owners out there?
There was a Smart Car club but I don’t see it listed at the moment.

Call The Villages Recreation Dept. at (352) 674-1800 and ask them if it still exists. They can probably tell you who the officials are/were and a contact number.
Old 01-13-2021, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
OP, check on the restrictions on these types of vehicles, specifically with the golf courses, the multimodal paths, etc. I see lots of these types of vehicles around but I have also seen discussions about where they supposed to be allowed or not allowed. You did not mention what type of golf cart you tried and did not like, we have a 2017 Yamaha quiet tech efi, great cart, you can even carry on a conversation without the need to raise you voice.
The Smart Fortwo is a car and it wont go on the multimodal paths. It is all electric with a small foot print and can fit in the same space as a golf cart. Or at least a 4 person golf car. It is a city car and get 50 mile per charge.
Old 01-13-2021, 03:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
When I first came here ten years ago I probably saw a Smart Car everyday. Now I almost never seen one. They are notorious for having a lot mechanical problems, a terrible transmission and gear changes and requires premium fuel. The new Smart Cars are all electric and are selling in the $25K to $30K range.

What's taken their place, Atomic Cool Kartz from China has dealer here on Signature Drive across from Brownwood off 44. I see an Atomic Car almost everyday or sometimes a couple. They're air conditioned, heaters, have a radio, and golfers can use them on the course. They're electric and are rechargeable like an electric golf cart, however I believe their batteries are much more expensive than a golf cart. Here's a link to the dealer. They sell new for $9,000 to $15,000 and sometimes you'll see a used one for sale on here.

Atomic Cool Kartz

Atomic Electric Vehicles LLC

The Villages Florida
Old 01-14-2021, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
When I first came here ten years ago I probably saw a Smart Car everyday. Now I almost never seen one. They are notorious for having a lot mechanical problems, a terrible transmission and gear changes and requires premium fuel. The new Smart Cars are all electric and are selling in the $25K to $30K range.

What's taken their place, Atomic Cool Kartz from China has dealer here on Signature Drive across from Brownwood off 44. I see an Atomic Car almost everyday or sometimes a couple. They're air conditioned, heaters, have a radio, and golfers can use them on the course. They're electric and are rechargeable like an electric golf cart, however I believe their batteries are much more expensive than a golf cart. Here's a link to the dealer. They sell new for $9,000 to $15,000 and sometimes you'll see a used one for sale on here.

Atomic Cool Kartz

Atomic Electric Vehicles LLC

The Villages Florida
I am wondering what is their top speed? I don’t want to drive in the golf cart lane. I would rather drive a car.
Old 01-14-2021, 09:23 AM
Gold member

Several years ago I read a review of the Smart Car, and the author made a great point. He asked, "What's so smart about a tiny car with no storage space, not really great gas mileage and mediocre reliability when, for less money, you could buy the basic Honda Civic, with a real trunk, great gas mileage and top reliability. Seems like a no-brainer.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
I am wondering what is their top speed? I don’t want to drive in the golf cart lane. I would rather drive a car.
If you're worried about safety, I would get a car. A Smart Car is not safe. The Atomic cars are licensed to drive on the streets and I've seen them in both the car lanes and the golf cart lanes. I wouldn't take it outside TV because there is really no protection. You were asking about a small car, a Smart Car, I gave you the new alternative being used in TV. Here's an Atomic Car that tried to cross 441 in front of TV Hospital, he met a truck and the Atomic car driver was killed. You can't have both, you want safety or do you want small and convenience. I drive a small SUV and I also own a Yamaha Golf Cart because I play golf. If I'm not playing golf, the cart sits in the garage.

The Villages Florida

Here's my golf cart, it's a 2011 Yamaha I bought new, this is a recent photo. I keep it in mint condition, I also have seat belts and as much LED Liquid Lights that is available.

The Villages Florida

Here's my car, it's a 2018 Hyundai Kona I bought new. It has 175HP Turbo engine and leather interior and was $24,200 out the door. I can take it to Orlando or the Gulf beaches or around TV and it gets about 30 mpg. It's my third Hyundai since 2007, I've owned a Santa Fe and a Turbo Veloster.

The Villages Florida
Old 01-15-2021, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by collie1228 View Post
Several years ago I read a review of the Smart Car, and the author made a great point. He asked, "What's so smart about a tiny car with no storage space, not really great gas mileage and mediocre reliability when, for less money, you could buy the basic Honda Civic, with a real trunk, great gas mileage and top reliability. Seems like a no-brainer.
If I get one it will be the electric version.
Old 01-15-2021, 09:04 PM

Quote:
If you're worried about safety, I would get a car. A Smart Car is not safe. The Atomic cars are licensed to drive on the streets and I've seen them in both the car lanes and the golf cart lanes. I wouldn't take it outside TV because there is really no protection. You were asking about a small car, a Smart Car, I gave you the new alternative being used in TV. Here's an Atomic Car that tried to cross 441 in front of TV Hospital, he met a truck and the Atomic car driver was killed. You can't have both, you want safety or do you want small and convenience. I drive a small SUV and I also own a Yamaha Golf Cart because I play golf. If I'm not playing golf, the cart sits in the garage.

The Villages Florida

Here's my golf cart, it's a 2011 Yamaha I bought new, this is a recent photo. I keep it in mint condition, I also have seat belts and as much LED Liquid Lights that is available.

The Villages Florida

Here's my car, it's a 2018 Hyundai Kona I bought new. It has 175HP Turbo engine and leather interior and was $24,200 out the door. I can take it to Orlando or the Gulf beaches or around TV and it gets about 30 mpg. It's my third Hyundai since 2007, I've owned a Santa Fe and a Turbo Veloster.

The Villages Florida

I want to find someone that does drive a smart car so I can see if it will fit in my garage.
Old 01-21-2021, 12:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

So are these those funny looking carts that we see driving around. My wife always laughs when she sees them. Do seem to be more around. Since they are electric find out how far they will go with new batteries and old. Can’t just fill it up is you are an hour from your house without enough battery to get home.
Old 01-21-2021, 02:32 PM
Gold member

Seems to a few of them for sale
Just a moment...

Also, remember they will have to licensed and insured like any other car.

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 01-21-2021, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Agree that it may take some time to get used to golf cart. First couple of times I drove I felt like was going to go flying out at every turn and it hurt my back, etc.Then I realized I was trying to sit like a lady; if I planted my feet further apart I had a more stable base. Now its my favorite thing to do, and I love to just joyride around. Seat belts help you feel more stable, too.
Old 01-21-2021, 09:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
The Atomic cars are licensed to drive on the streets and I've seen them in both the car lanes and the golf cart lanes. I wouldn't take it outside TV because there is really no protection. You were asking about a small car, a Smart Car, I gave you the new alternative being used in TV. Here's an Atomic Car that tried to cross 441 in front of TV Hospital, he met a truck and the Atomic car driver was killed. You can't have both, you want safety or do you want small and convenience. I drive a small SUV and I also own a Yamaha Golf Cart because I play golf. If I'm not playing golf, the cart sits in the garage.

The Villages Florida

This photo gets posted any time someone mentions an ATOMIC. The Atomic cars are NOT "licensed to go on the streets" by default. They are considered golf carts and come speed limited just like any other golf cart and can be "sped up" also just like any other golf cart. I have had 2 of them. They are only "licensed to go on the streets" if you CHOOSE to have them made street legal. There are more street legal "regular" golf carts than there are street legal Atomic golf carts. I do not know if this specific accident was a street legal cart or just some dummy trying to cross 441. I would guess it was NOT street legal due to the turf tires and golf cart rack on the back. I would say I would rather be hit by a truck in a vehicle with doors with steel bars in them than a wide opened doorless Yamaha. A STREET LEGAL Atomic can't be driven on (only across) 441 or 466 or 466A since it must follow LSV (STREET LEGAL GOLF CART) laws.

And to edit. You can't be thrown out of an Atomic easily like you can out of a Ymamaha since it actually has real doors. Villages Golf Cart Death Leads to Criminal Charges
Old 01-22-2021, 01:58 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
I want to find someone that does drive a smart car so I can see if it will fit in my garage.
You can fit a 2 seater cart and a smart car in a garage, no problem.

My sister's two car garage fits a smart car, club car electric, Honda CRV, Yamaha 2 seater gas, my 2 seater club car gas. Granted it was for when we were staying over for a few days, but it all fits.

In a 1.5 CYV garage, you could fit two carts and a smart. Maybe fit a small car, a smart and a cart. Maybe, never tried it. smarts are small, not much longer than a cart. It's more the width as they are probably 2 feet wider than a cart.
Closed Thread

Tags
smart, owners, car, fortwo, buying

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.