snow bird vs. FT resident?

snow bird vs. FT resident?

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 03-10-2019, 08:01 PM
Veteran member

Decided what it would cost me to be a snowbird with a place up north, and the cost wasn't worth it. I rent via airbnb whenever i feel i need to go north. No headaches.

Old 03-11-2019, 08:34 AM
Soaring Eagle member

If it wasn't for sitting on my quiet Chesapeake Bay beach with my feet in the water, boating on the bay, fishing, crabbing, family all around, golf, friends, etc. I would live here year round.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2019, 04:46 PM
Platinum member

Working from home (FL) most of the time and in the office (North) about once a month. Retired and left the North.
Health Care
Old 03-23-2019, 04:52 PM

Default Health Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie Princess View Post
Has anyone started out as a snow bird and then changed to be come a full-time villages resident? What made you change your mind?
You can still be a Florida resident, live there at least six months then go back to your other house (down size maybe) and keep all your health care providers
Old 03-24-2019, 08:09 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricthemic View Post
You can still be a Florida resident, live there at least six months then go back to your other house (down size maybe) and keep all your health care providers
Do you need to stay 6 months every year after the 1st year?
Old 03-24-2019, 08:31 AM
Platinum member

I wasn't about to give Maine 6% of my hard earned retirement...
I stay here 6 1/2 months and spend 5 1/2 months on a lake in Maine

Last edited by karostay; 03-24-2019 at 09:13 AM.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:55 AM
Gold member

The question for us WE ...can we take the summer heat away from the grandkids? We answered NO even though the financial considerations can be very compelling.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:28 AM

I lived here 4 years and then became a resident legally. I am still a snowbird on a 6 month: 6 month rotation. Thinking of spending more time here. It is harder and harder to sign up for clssses up north when I can only complete half of the term. The more friends I make here the more I want to be in contact with them. Only reason I still go back are a property and heirloom furniture , a son and my travel companion goes back. I am sure I will phase out the hometown over the next few years. It will not be easy.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:08 AM

No brainer for us. Too many worries owning 2 places. All our friends up north are either dead or moved. Taxes ridiculous, traffic unbearable, and humidity awful. Been here full time 10 years. Love it. Only my opinion. Maybe if I had a place in the mountains or on a lake, with lots of friends and family near, I would feel differently. Strictly an individual decision.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie Princess View Post
Has anyone started out as a snow bird and then changed to be come a full-time villages resident? What made you change your mind?
We rented for only 2 yrs. before we bought. We looked just like all of the people in the sales office, excited, bubbly. What most people don't know is they don't watch for the right areas to buy in, they're all just so over whelmed with everything here. You will learn the pro's & con's here just like any other place. Don't take me wrong it is a Disneyland for retirees. The Villages realtors are pushing Fenny, they're under cutting the older side of the Villages to sell the 50,000 new homes that are going to be built there & the people that have the preowned are getting stuck with there home because they want a little more for them. Just remember to ask TV realtors about, Higher property taxes, Bonds & Aminities. Probably won't be any entertainment for about 4 or 5 more yrs. unless you drive your car to at least Brownwood, no grocery stores close. Nice place to live but snowbirds making TV their permanent home will learn all the pro's & con's real quick. I know someone will disagree with me, but not everybody lives the same lifestyle, have more or less money, different interest. Enjoy your new Disneyland!

Tags
resident, snow, bird, villages, full-time