Returning to the USA and to TV

Closed Thread
Old 08-02-2011, 08:23 AM
Default Returning to the USA and to TV

Just wanted to express my appreciation to everyone who has taken the time to post information on the various topics which are of interest to perspective Villagers; from plantation shutters to pool construction to choices of lots, etc... very helpful.

My spouse and I have spent the better part of the last 40 years in Germany and are so blessed to be in a position to move back to the good USA to a great place like TV. I must admit there is a bit of "angst" because we have not lived in the States for so many years and to read all the discussions on telephone services, cable networks, etc... is a bit daunting; I rely on having friendly neighbors who can assist us in making the right choices when we arrive.

Ah yes the arrival; our home in Germany is in the process of selling right now and will hopefully close in September. The plan is to sell here, buy (something, either Villa or Designer) in TV prior to December and then to actually make the retirement move sometime next year! Wish us luck!
Thanks again for all the insider information from those that care!

Best Regards, BJ
Old 08-02-2011, 08:40 AM
Veteran member

Good luck to you, BJ! As friendly as neighbors are in TV, you will have all the friendly advice you need, I'm sure!
Old 08-02-2011, 08:56 AM
Veteran member

Best of luck, BJ! My wife and I are going through similar "angst," as we recently sold our business in Panama and will be moving to TV later this month (we close on August 29th). The movers are scheduled for August 15th and while we will miss many things about our tropical paradise, we are excited about the move and our newly adopted community!

"Growing older but not up." J. Buffett

Coral Gables, FL, Bahamas, Belize, Wilmington, NC, Bocas del Toro, Panama and finally The Villages
Old 08-02-2011, 09:13 AM
Veteran member

BJ. Would like to welcome a soon to be ex-Expat to TV. Wow, returning after 40 years abroad. As an Expat myself, I always felt a tinge of culture shock every time I returned from an overseas assignment. To boot, you are returning to TV. I even had a culture shock when I visited TV from the Northeast. Haven't looked into yet but was told there is an organization of Expat in TV. Look forward to meeting you someday.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:17 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Johnson View Post
Just wanted to express my appreciation to everyone who has taken the time to post information on the various topics which are of interest to perspective Villagers; from plantation shutters to pool construction to choices of lots, etc... very helpful.

My spouse and I have spent the better part of the last 40 years in Germany and are so blessed to be in a position to move back to the good USA to a great place like TV. I must admit there is a bit of "angst" because we have not lived in the States for so many years and to read all the discussions on telephone services, cable networks, etc... is a bit daunting; I rely on having friendly neighbors who can assist us in making the right choices when we arrive.

Ah yes the arrival; our home in Germany is in the process of selling right now and will hopefully close in September. The plan is to sell here, buy (something, either Villa or Designer) in TV prior to December and then to actually make the retirement move sometime next year! Wish us luck!
Thanks again for all the insider information from those that care!

Best Regards, BJ
BJ.... Welcome to TOTV and TV! We moved here, from Kiel, Germany, last December. Although, our stint was only 2 years; not 40.

I'm sending you a PM.....

Mike
Old 08-02-2011, 10:46 AM

Welcome back to the US. We moved 6 years ago from Limburg / Germany.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:10 PM
Platinum member

We are visiting in Germany and Switzerland and love it. We are in Grindelwald today and hiked in the mountains. What I do miss from home is the service. We were in Munich on Sunday and no stores were open. I do like the kitchen and bath fixtures. Will be interested in your observations after 30 years. Welcome to TV.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:42 PM
Sage

B:

to TOTV.

This is the place to have any and all questions answere by our knowledgeable and smart memebers.

WOW - Germany to TV. I hope the only shock you get is that you discover it's better than you imagined.

Best Wishes.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:36 PM
Platinum member

Gotta be some sort of record!?!?

I came here after 42 years in the same house, but that was in St. Louis. I can't really imagine what sort of culture shock you may encounter after 40 years in Germany!

Oh, you know, of course, that only a small proportion of Villagers can converse in German!

Welcome. Wecome!

SWR

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.