So many questions!

Closed Thread
Old 01-27-2017, 11:43 PM
Location: SidneyNY;Odessa,Houston&SpringTX;MariettaGA;WheatonIL;RidgelandMS;MorganHillCA,TemeculaCA,SabalChase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnevie View Post
also, I know it's scary. a lot of us just held our breath and took the plunge. but it's a really great place to be if you are single. I am doing more now every month than I did in a year before I came here--and I am not a particularly active person. There are so many things to do and I haven't had the time in the over 3 years I've been here to do a fraction of them. When you get here--post it and there's a group of single here that will have a meet and greet for you.
I love Ballroom Dancing. In Temecula, where I live now, I drive an hour and a half every direction to go dancing and to the Doctors I like. We have the best Line Dancing here in town, though. Temecula is also an awesome place to live. But I've been here for 16 years and it is a lonely place for someone who is single. I'm looking forward to being around other singles, just to have someone to go to lunch or dinner, a bike ride, etc.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:48 PM
Location: SidneyNY;Odessa,Houston&SpringTX;MariettaGA;WheatonIL;RidgelandMS;MorganHillCA,TemeculaCA,SabalChase

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedquick View Post
My wife and I had 4 or 5 visits to TV before we purchased a home. I spent 41 years in real estate so we both knew what we were looking for and how to look. Each time we visited we looked at houses (mostly open houses so as not to waste a Realtor's time). By the time we decided where we wanted to live in TV we had already decided on the floor plan we wanted. The very day we decided to buy before we sold "back home" my wife found the home we purchased (over the phone, sight unseen, although we had a friend and her Realtor get inside). We purchased a 12 year-old home and completely redid it. This process worked beautifully for us. As was said earlier on this site, don't rush into buying until you have surety as to the floor plan and area in which you want to live.

Best of luck and an early "welcome to TV".
Thanks for the "welcome". There is something to be said for finding a house with almost everything you wish for! I'm looking for that! It would be difficult to oversee a lot of work being done while flying back and forth to CA.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynan View Post
I spent quite a lot of time on thevillages.com website and studied floor plans. We knew we wanted new so when we came on the Lifestyle Program we called and asked for a salesman to show us what they had for new lots with a Gardenia with a golf cart garage and not on a main road. There were only 3 lots that we could even look at. 2 were corner lots on St. Charles and one behind Tarpon Boil that butted up to some real trashy mobile homes that were not in The Villages. We asked for a day off to consider what else we'd be interested in seeing. I decided to give up the kitchen for the golf cart garage but they wouldn't go for that so we gave up the golf cart garage. That opened up 300 lots because of the width. Study floor plans and decide what you want as far as a model. Study villages maps to try to decide location, what is important to you, such as shopping, more or less traffic, near pool, mailboxes, etc. Study preowned homes and you may discover just what you want. Neighborhoods are important. Our neighborhood which is now 6 years old is very active and goes out of its way to welcome all ages. We have people in their 50's still working from home to people in their 80's that still participate in socials, golf groups etc. The people who work participate on weekends and at night. We are Jacaranda Island in the Village of Pennecamp. If you find a neighborhood with a website and social activities, that's as good as getting into a new neighborhood where everyone is friendly and active at the beginning but some don't continue being active socially. We are between Lake Sumter and Brownwood and we are off the beaten path. Ck out Abordale to Markridge Loop and Altamont Villas on a map and you'll see what we mean. The Pennecamp groups never included us because they didn't realize we were even in Pennecamp so we set up our own social network. Houses range from low 300,00's to over 650,000. Villas in the 200,000's to 300,000's. Good Luck to you and you will not regret choosing The Villages. I was 59 when we came and it really revitalizes you.
Lot's of great advice! I will check these out when I get there Feb. 8th. I'm looking forward to all of the activities. My friend and I laughed at the Recreation magazine- so many clubs and activities. I will be nuts at first trying to check everything out. I'm looking forward to woodworking. My grandfather was and my cousin is a master craftsman. I've always been interested in it. I don't want to grow old and become isolated and lonely. I think the attitude of The Villages rubs off on people, because I feel like a little kid waiting to go to Disneyworld!
Old 01-28-2017, 10:56 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvdancin View Post
I like the idea of a Courtyard Villa, but I heard that a lot of them are rented out. I wouldn't want to be in a neighborhood with a lot of empty houses during the off-peak season. I love the fences and little yardwork!
that is something that by renting first you could explore. our courtyard villa neighborhood has mostly full time people and that may be unusual. by going to open houses you'd be able to find out what the neighborhood is like. people are so friendly you could just walk around the neighborhood and ask about that. I think patio villas probably have the most seasonal or rentals.
Old 01-28-2017, 11:18 AM
Sage

Those with dogs prefer a CYV type home. It gives you privacy and the dog some area to roam, while being fenced in.

When you do buy a home, do yourself a favor and don't try to do everything in a couple of weeks as far as making renovations to your home. You will also want to see everything. After six months, you'll find it's better to live closer to shopping, doctors and maybe a golf course and or rec center.

There are many threads on new vs pre-owned homes. Some people prefer new that comes with a bond and some prefer pre-owned with little or no bond with mature landscaping.

There are many things to consider and one can drive themselves a little crazy with all of the decisions that need to be made. Take a deep breath.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 01-28-2017, 11:41 AM

I have been in TV 3 years as a single and the best social activity I have found is the single golfers of the villages.

600 singles to both play golf and other social activities

They are opening up membership as of\f 2/1 on a lottery basis, Dues $25 first year - $20 after
Go to their website for details and download an application after you get a resident ID
Old 01-29-2017, 04:30 PM
Default Just Saying Thanks Again!

I just wanted to say "Thanks again to everyone who helped answered some of my questions!"
Closed Thread

Tags
love, moving, villages, hours, thank-you

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.