So many questions

Closed Thread
Old 07-14-2017, 05:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick46 View Post
Wow, 17,000 miles. That's a lot of cart driving in 7 years-I did not realize that you would be spending that much time driving a golf cart. We're so used to using our cars for everything.

I was leaning toward an electric cart, but after thinking about the size of the Villages and the distances we may have to drive to visit friends and such, I guess a gas powered cart makes more sense. It would be embarrassing to drive somewhere and then not have enough power to make it home.

Does AAA make service calls for our golf carts?

Thanks.
Yes there are tow companies for golf carts. Ours broke down once on the way home from golf and I called the Villages Golf cart store. They sent out a huge wrecker truck with a tandem trailer and he maneuvered the cart on to it. The tow cost me $15.00 and another $50 for a checkup and a new spark plug.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:54 PM
Sage

K A R T-Aid is one of the companies available for getting you back home or doing a simple repair, such as a nail in your tire, in the event of a problem. They are $30/year and worth it, in my opinion. They are a 24-hour operation so you will never get stuck if you have an issue after the golf cart stores close for the day. If you have AAA, they may also work. The thing I like about K A R T-Aid is they fix flats for no additional charge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
Yes there are tow companies for golf carts. Ours broke down once on the way home from golf and I called the Villages Golf cart store. They sent out a huge wrecker truck with a tandem trailer and he maneuvered the cart on to it. The tow cost me $15.00 and another $50 for a checkup and a new spark plug.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:25 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Wait
Pay attention to the type of cart you want - gas or electric. Once you own a home you can chose as distance to where you want to go is important.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:30 PM

Rent. One-- great way to learn your way around!!
Old 07-14-2017, 08:46 PM

Get a $5 map. Get a $5 map. Get a $5 map. Available at the sales offices.
Old 07-15-2017, 06:21 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Our house is sold, our settlement date is August 31. We have rented a home for 2 months and will be arriving on September 1 to begin our new life in the Villages.

We do have friends there, we have visited many times over the years, but this is different, this is our turn.

I have already read a lot of the threads in this newby forum as well as pertinent threads in other forums on here and have gleaned a ton of information. Some of it is very helpful and we appreciate that. It's nice to know that there are voices out there for our questions.

One of the contradictions I've noticed surrounds the rental of a golf cart. Some folks say yes, get one right away, others say to hold off, being new to the Villages and trying to navigate your way around in a golf cart can be dangerous. Never one to shy away from danger, my first instinct was to throw caution to the wind and go ahead and rent one. I thought I'd get some advice before doing that.

Should we hold off on the golf cart until we are familiar with the proper way to drive one around TV?

Also, if we were to rent one, where is the best place to go to make that happen.

Thanks so much, looking forward to getting down there. So as not to complicate things, I'll ask my other questions later.

Vince
Rent a cart and get the villages GPS app it shows how to get around using the cart paths.

When you rent one make sure it will do 20 mph a lot of the rentals only do 15 mph.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:00 AM
Veteran member

Once you own a golf cart you feel like a true Villager. To find our way on a golf cart I would look in the Daily Fun, map out various garage sales using my Villages map, hop in the cart and go. It not only taught us the golf cart paths but also introduced us to all the different villages and the residents.
Old 07-15-2017, 11:22 AM

Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond to my questions. Sorry for not responding sooner, the sale of our home is taking up huge quantities of our time right now.

Based on your responses and some additional research that I've done since my original post, I've come up with the follow conclusions:

We will rent a cart for at least a week. We are going to be very focused on finding our permanent home the first two months, I don't see us having a lot of time to do much exploring in a golf cart. I managed to find a couple of places that will rent carts for about $125 per week, sounds reasonable.

It sounds like the Yamaha gas cart is what we need. It just makes more sense, because of the distances we may have to travel.

The more comfortable seat makes huge sense based on how much time everyone seems to think we'll be driving around in our cart. Maps, GPS, all that stuff makes sense, at least until we learn the way around.

Sorry, all this research created a couple more questions:

Everyone talks about 20mph. All of the information I've been able to find on the Yamaha gas carts says a maximum of 15 mph. Do you slip the salesman a few extra bucks to get that extra 5 mph out of the cart?

I'd like to get lights and turn signals. Is this what they refer to as a "street legal" cart?

Do we want to install the side curtains for inclement weather? Is it worth the extra money? Can we purchase and install that stuff ourselves from the aftermarket?

Are the carts covered under our homeowners or car insurance? Is there different levels of coverage that you can ask for?

It seems like most of the reviews on the various cart dealers are all over the place........some good, some bad, which is typical these days. Can anyone give us a recommendation on a really good dealer to talk to? We're probably going to be looking for a used/pre-owned vehicle.

Thanks again for all your help, so appreciated.

So looking forward to getting down there.
Old 07-15-2017, 01:46 PM

Practice makes perfect and it is not hard at all. Drive in your immediate neighborhood...to and from the pool and mailboxes until you feel confident. Once you have mastered that area, then venture a little further. Remember that excitement when you first received your automobile license....its nice to have that feeling again. Enjoy it! I personally had never driven one and got the hang of it the first week. Drive the electric and the gas carts. Electric are quiet as a mouse and have no smell. Gas offers a little more acceleration and have greater versatility in driving range (without refueling). The each have their advantages. Enjoy the learning curve.
Old 07-15-2017, 01:47 PM
Veteran member

I second the suggestion to try electric, gas and brand new (2017) gas. I love my electric cart. It's fairly new, so can get from our house up to Lopez, play a round of golf, down to Brownwood for dancing and home on one charge. We tend to plug it in every night. I like that it is very, very quiet, and much faster off a full stop. Very zippy.

I also like my 2017 quiet tech gas cart. It's not quite as quiet as the electric cart, but I don't worry at all about how far I'm going. It also has a yesteryear truck body, so I can haul all sorts of stuff, and the hard half doors keep my legs comfy on cold winter mornings. No cart blanket needed. It also is a tad faster than the electric when the gas is floored.

I've rented the older gas carts, and was even given a 2017 non-quiet tech gas cart as a loaner for a few weeks. I can't drive them. They are so noisy they give me a headache. But lots of people like them just fine.
Old 07-15-2017, 02:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Depending on where you buy new or used couple homes may come with golf cart. I would get the feel where I want to live, figure out how much I plan on using the golf cart (lots if golfer), then decide on what brand and type of golf cart. New carts priced state out around 7k up to maybe 20k. Gas or electric personnel choice based on use IMO I had both and was satisfied with both, but leaned towards gas for unlimited mileage. IMO Figuring everything in up keep costs about the same IMO. As suggested you really have to look out for the other person (car, cart, bike, or walker)
Old 07-15-2017, 02:33 PM

Thanks to all who have taken the time to respond to my questions. I apologize for not responding sooner, but the sale of our home is taking up quite a bit of my spare time lately.

Based on all the comments and also some additional searching, we will be renting a cart for at least a week just to get the feel. Most of our effort during the first two months will be dedicated to finding our new home, I don't think we'll have a lot of spare time to do much exploring in a golf cart. I found a couple of places that will rent them for around $125 per week.
Old 07-15-2017, 02:41 PM

I've decided on a gas cart. I like the quietness and the green nature of the electric carts, but the Villages has become so large, it just seems that a gas powered cart makes the most sense. I do have a couple of additional questions though:

In most of my research, the Yamaha gas carts are shown as having a 15mph top speed, yet everyone keeps saying to get a cart that will go at least 20mph. Do you slip the salesman some money to get that extra 5mph? I'm a big car guy, I guess I could always hop up the motor a little bit.

I'm thinking lights and turn signals are definitely needed for night driving, is this what they refer to as a "street legal" cart?

Do we want the side curtains for colder weather, or would you just take your regular car if it was cold?

Do I want to pay all that money for a super sound system, or add it myself later?

Sounds like the locking glove box is a nice option, should I get it?

As always, thank you, your responses have been very helpful.
Old 07-15-2017, 04:52 PM
Sage

See comments below in RED.

Quote:
I've decided on a gas cart. I like the quietness and the green nature of the electric carts, but the Villages has become so large, it just seems that a gas powered cart makes the most sense. I do have a couple of additional questions though:

In most of my research, the Yamaha gas carts are shown as having a 15mph top speed, yet everyone keeps saying to get a cart that will go at least 20mph. Do you slip the salesman some money to get that extra 5mph? I'm a big car guy, I guess I could always hop up the motor a little bit.

>>>Almost all carts will have at least a 20 mph top speed. For the Yamaha, the pre-2017 carts will have had a higher speed differential gear installed by the dealer and possibly some adjustments to the governor. I believe the 2017 Yamahas have a high speed differential gear from the factory. Some will go faster. There is a never ending thread on this forum regarding top speeds. The bottom line is you should be careful about exceeding 20 mph on any of the roads as the financial penalty is significant if you are stopped by the county police. There is essentially no speed limit on the multimodal paths.

I'm thinking lights and turn signals are definitely needed for night driving, is this what they refer to as a "street legal" cart?

>>>Almost any cart will come "Villages ready". That means lights, directionals, horn, Sunbrella enclosure, etc. These "non street legal golf carts" can travel on the neighborhood roads, the roads with "diamond lanes", and the multimodal paths. There are also "street legal" golf carts that can legally travel on the 35 mph roads such as Buena Vista and Morse, where non-street legal carts are not allowed. These are relatively rare and, in my opinion, not worth the additional cost as they must be registered and you must carry automobile-like insurance.

Do we want the side curtains for colder weather, or would you just take your regular car if it was cold?

>>>>Almost all carts will come with Sunbrella enclosures that drop down and zip up for cold weather and rain. There are also hard door enclosures but they are not as common and carry additional costs.

Do I want to pay all that money for a super sound system, or add it myself later?

>>> Personal preference.

Sounds like the locking glove box is a nice option, should I get it?

>>>Personal preference.

As always, thank you, your responses have been very helpful.
Old 07-15-2017, 05:24 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baustgen View Post
Get a $5 map. Get a $5 map. Get a $5 map. Available at the sales offices.
And show your Villages ID and get 10% off on it!
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, questions, cart, hold, threads

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.