Social aspects of villa versus non-villa communities

Closed Thread
Old 06-05-2008, 03:19 PM
Gold member
Default Social aspects of villa versus non-villa communities

In my searching through the archives, I don't think I have come across any discussion of the differences (if any) between neighborhood types and their social aspects. I think I have seen several people post that villa neighborhoods tend to form social "communities" where they get together on a semi-regular basis and where all are invited. Do communities comprised of ranch/designer/premier houses do something similar? In a related question, what generally defines such a community? Is it all the people who live on the same street?
Old 06-05-2008, 05:55 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Default Re: Social aspects of villa versus non-villa communities

I think every neighborhood is different. Some of it may depend on whether it is a new development or established. I live in a patio villa. Since I've been here, there has been one block party and one luncheon. Even so, my neighbors are friendly and we do frequently visit each others' homes for this, that and the other thing.

A friend of mine lives in Tall Trees in a designer. Her block has get togethers constantly. Six of them play poker once a month.

DickY lives in a patio villa in Duval. There is a social group for his street, for the neighboring street, for the entire village ....

A lot will depend on you. If you're a joiner, I'm sure you can find some community activities (I'm not so only know what is happening in my immediate vicinity). Any clubs you belong to will also have social gatherings.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 06-05-2008, 10:11 PM
Gold member

Thanks redwitch. I sort of figured that there would be great variances in neighborhoods and that house style was not a factor, but just wanted to make sure. I wouldn't want to be in a social circle dictated by our housing preference while all the "cool people" are partying in their villas.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:28 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

TV doesn't seem to be high on the snob factor. If you're nice, they'll even forgive you living in a huge designer. ;D

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 06-06-2008, 06:59 AM

Red has hit the nail on the head. From our experience it seems to depend on the neighborhood, and on your personality as far as being a "joiner". We lived in a patio villa a few years ago, and there were a lot of rentals in that particular area so subsequently not so much socializing as an area where you get people who live there more year round. Our new neighborhood in Mallory has many opportunities for joining, and we do so when it fits our schedule.

We've run into a snob once in awhile, but for the most part, they really don't cut it here in The Villages.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

well, I guess I'm one of the "cool people" in a patio villa LOL.
We've just bought and hadn't closed yet, but we have had the opportunity to meet some really nice neighbors so far. And in the restaurants and town squares, people have been extraordinarily friendly , so I don't think snobbery is really an issue, perhaps an exception at best.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:09 PM
Veteran member

I live in a patio villa in Merry Oak in Calumet Grove. I'm very happy in my neighborhood. Everyone is so friendly - we have a once a month social at Chatham that is a potluck. A lot of fun. And once a month, there is a ladies luncheon and various restaurants are chosen. I walk around with my dog and everyone speaks and waves. I have heard that living in a courtyard villa, it's a little more difficult to socialize because you have the enclosed yard. I can see that as being possible. In my neighborhood, you do as much socializing as you want to do. I don't attend all the socials because I may have something else to do but I try to go to most. Anything goes.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:57 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Dancer
We've run into a snob once in awhile, but for the most part, they really don't cut it here in The Villages.
Snobs? If they are not over themselves by this point in life, they are to be pitied. But I don't want to get to know them. And it takes nothing more than a little Psych 101 to figure out that pretentious people are often extremely insecure. But I still don't want to get to know them.

OH NO! I don't want to get to know snobs! Never did. Never will. Does that make me a snob? ??? :dontknow:

Boomer
Old 06-06-2008, 09:36 PM
Gold member

I'm not sure how the "snob" factor got introduced here. I certainly wasn't inferring snobbishness on any group of people. My only concern was that some people, by virtue of house-type (perhaps distance apart or distance from street or whatever), had a more limited neighborhood social feel.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:00 PM

I live in a courtyard Villa and I can't really that keeping people from being sociable. In fact, I'm an older woman, single, and they still leave fliers or invites' even tho I don't go out to the events. One of the clerks at Pulix lives in the same village and she spent the whole time from checkout to my car encouraging me to be more active. I can't say enough about the freindliness of the people I've met.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:27 PM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJblue
I'm not sure how the "snob" factor got introduced here. I certainly wasn't inferring snobbishness on any group of people. My only concern was that some people, by virtue of house-type (perhaps distance apart or distance from street or whatever), had a more limited neighborhood social feel.
I apologize NJblue,

Sometimes topics here can branch out a bit. Some might call it hijacking. I just call it a little sideways discussion. It happens.

But back to your question.

I know exactly what you mean. Our plan is to eventually buy a patio villa to use as a second home but not as a rental. We live about a thousand miles away and want to be able to just pick up and go whenever we can. (Well, once we have saved up enough money for gas.)

But I would like to have lots of year-round neighbors in TV. (I know that makes me sound a bit like a twit because I want a neighborhood even though I can't be there all the time.) I have concerns about ending up in a neighborhood that is heavy in rentals. I just like a neighborhood feel.

There is a thread on here somewhere about social life in TV. I will do a search and if I find it I will link it in here for you. It really does all boil down to finding your own interests. But I still want people around in my neighborhood. Even if it's just to wave to or to share a potluck with once in awhile.

Now, I will go see if I can find the social life thread for you.

Boomer

Old 06-06-2008, 11:07 PM
Soaring Parsley

Well, I went on my quest for the aforementioned helpful thread. But it is not exactly what I remembered. So what ever is?

Anyway, that discussion was about age as a barrier to social interaction. And as usual, I began to wax a little philosophic in my post that's in there.

But you may find something in the link that could be helpful.

I think many who are contemplating a move, no matter where, have concerns, for various reasons, about establishing a new social network.

Good luck on your journey, NJblue. And I hope this helps a little, even though the discussion of social aspects is in a slightly different direction.

And here's the link:

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/sm....html#msg53144

Boomer
Old 06-07-2008, 12:02 AM

I think you could look at rental units in more than one way. If you live in a neighborhood with a lot of rental units, you'd meet new people all the time. That could be fun, too.
New Jersey
Old 06-07-2008, 03:24 AM
mcelheny

I rented in Merry Oaks for the month of February 2004. It was the friendlest neighborhood. I bought here because I had such a good time. I still think it is the best neighborhood and the old side is friendlier than the new.
I bought on a street which is rentals and snowbirds-the very street Lil Dancer talked about. I have met great people but after 3 years, you wish you had owners who you can get to know and will see again. Some of the renters I have loved but I never see again.
So...yes there are differences in different neighborhoods. I just had to jump in here because the two places I have lived were both mentioned on this thread.
Even though I would like more year around owners on my street I have some very good friends there.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.