Act of kindness

Closed Thread
Old 02-22-2015, 01:55 PM
Default Act of kindness

Friday afternoon my husband and I went out to dinner. Shortly after we were seated, the gentleman at the table next to us asked for his bill. The waitress said it had been paid by the gentleman at the table on the other side. He had overheard the couple discussing their recent 57th anniversary. They were really shocked and most appreciative. As they got up to leave, we wished them a happy anniversary. We talked for about 10 minutes. They are a lovely couple. Thank you to the kind man who bought their dinner.
Old 02-22-2015, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbanks50 View Post
Friday afternoon my husband and I went out to dinner. Shortly after we were seated, the gentleman at the table next to us asked for his bill. The waitress said it had been paid by the gentleman at the table on the other side. He had overheard the couple discussing their recent 57th anniversary. They were really shocked and most appreciative. As they got up to leave, we wished them a happy anniversary. We talked for about 10 minutes. They are a lovely couple. Thank you to the kind man who bought their dinner.
What wonderful story!! Thank you for sharing, I would love to meet the wonderful person that was so thoughtful I am sure he made there anniversary, day week and year and that walked out with a smile for someone so thoughtful!! 3 CHEERS to him!! I believe it is random act of kindness month!!!!!
Old 02-22-2015, 02:55 PM
Platinum member

It happens more than most people think. Gives you a good feeling. Life is short, enjoy your time here.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:31 PM
Veteran member

Inspiring gesture...pay it forward ...this type of thing happens regularly in a restaurant in SW florida I know of ..most times it is completely anonymous.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:43 PM
Gold member

I have done this. We were at Cotillions in Wildwood for lunch and the place was full. My wife and I were sitting a four person table when we noticed a mother and daughter waiting to be seated. We told them to join us. We found out that they were celebrating the daughters 21st birthday with a day out with just mom and daughter. They were so appreciative of us asking them to sit with us that when I went to the register to pay my bill I also paid their bill. I never said anything to them as I left a tip large enough for both checks and left. My wife was very pleased and I felt great. I am not looking for accolades I tell you this story to encourage more people to do the same. If you see someone who looks like they are celebrating a special occasion or who may appear to need help paying why not anonymously help them out. You will feel really great.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeV View Post
I have done this. We were at Cotillions in Wildwood for lunch and the place was full. My wife and I were sitting a four person table when we noticed a mother and daughter waiting to be seated. We told them to join us. We found out that they were celebrating the daughters 21st birthday with a day out with just mom and daughter. They were so appreciative of us asking them to sit with us that when I went to the register to pay my bill I also paid their bill. I never said anything to them as I left a tip large enough for both checks and left. My wife was very pleased and I felt great. I am not looking for accolades I tell you this story to encourage more people to do the same. If you see someone who looks like they are celebrating a special occasion or who may appear to need help paying why not anonymously help them out. You will feel really great.
When we worked at a university, we fed hungry college students who couldn't afford to go home for Thanksgiving because they wanted to go home for Christmas. We still try to help out where we can.

It's a wonderful thing to help out other people. It helps both parties.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeV View Post
Nice story MikeV. I too have done similar things in the past and the feeling of making someones day is priceless. You could not have put this cost of kindness to better use.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

I do this for every service man/woman and LEO I encounter in a restaurant; it's the least I can do to repay them for their service and sacrifice.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbanks50 View Post
LOVE these "pay it forward" stories!!!! Keep it up Villagers!!!!!
Old 02-22-2015, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
I do this for every service man/woman and LEO I encounter in a restaurant; it's the least I can do to repay them for their service and sacrifice.
Good for you. I don't think they get enough respect and gratitude for putting their life on the line every day they serve.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,132 Times in 2,241 Posts

I tried to buy breakfast for Lady Lake police officer this morning, and he said they could not accept the gratuity, I was disappointed, but I thanked him for his service. I am guessing this was because I was on my way out and I offered him the money to pay for the meal. It probably would have worked if I could have waited and actually paid the bill. I will need to try harder next time.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I tried to buy breakfast for Lady Lake police officer this morning, and he said they could not accept the gratuity, I was disappointed, but I thanked him for his service. I am guessing this was because I was on my way out and I offered him the money to pay for the meal. It probably would have worked if I could have waited and actually paid the bill. I will need to try harder next time.
Being a retired LEO, never, ever offer a Police Officer money. Your intentions may be on the up and up, but you never know when "the wrong type" may observe you doing that and make a big stink out of it. I always pay their bill, discreetly, and go my way.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Many times in Chicago the coffee shops would not write up a check for the police officers who were usually in there in pairs. They knew they were protecting their neighborhoods and more immediately their coffee shop.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:05 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
Many times in Chicago the coffee shops would not write up a check for the police officers who were usually in there in pairs. They knew they were protecting their neighborhoods and more immediately their coffee shop.
How about Lou Mitchells ????
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.