Specific Community Standards, Deed Restrictions

Closed Thread
Old 02-09-2019, 03:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Wow I found the answer in a different section of the standards website. There are NO restrictions for lawn ornaments in the Lady Lake-Lake County section. This is actually disappointing, I'm one of those who agree that the bent-over bloomer ladies and the tacky plastic pink flamingos are a bit much. But I guess I could live with that, if it meant I could put a garden gnome in the front garden.

It brings me to another question regarding the deed restrictions though. I'm looking into the Orange Blossoms area, up near Schwartz Blvd at the northern end of the Villages. The property is a manufactured, in what appears to be excellent condition. The laundry room is a separate part of the property; you have to leave your house to get through the double doors into what is actually just an attached shack.

The deed restrictions prohibit window air conditioners and requires central air. The central air doesn't hook up to that outdoor, un-insulated shack area. And that shack has a window. Is a window air conditioner permitted in that spot, since it's not really part of the living space? I imagine doing the laundry in there when it's 90° on a rainy day can't be comfortable if you can't open the window and the double doors without getting soaked by the rain.

Where would I find this information, on whether or not the external, uninsulated, "not under heat" laundry room/workshop falls within the prohibited area?
And I am one of those who find garden gnomes equally as tacky as bent-over bloomer ladies! You see? I'm happy for the restrictions.

It sounds like you have a bit of due diligence to do regarding this property, especially in regards to the window air conditioner.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:49 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
You aren't allowed to modify your home like that without permission from the Architectural Review Committee.

You have mentioned that you don't want to move here but your husband does. I think we are not the cause of a lot of your frustration.
Don't worry it too much here on the historic side. It's not a "modification" anyway. Just get someone to drill a hole through the wzll with a hole saw and put a grill in.
Steve
Old 02-09-2019, 04:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

I wonder and am going to find out here not by calling anybody cause I don't do that at all. (Most of the Time) Is there a restriction on the Color a Driveway can be Painted on the Hysterical Side? Just wondering. There is one that is just absolutely AMAZING. It must be a shot at a NEIGHBOR. Trying to upset the peaceful Apple Cart over here. No address was given on Porpoise.

Jazuela, window A/C'S are not allowed in these parts but I don't think you would have any problem with one that is there now. It is not impossible to have a problem but not probable. Keep doing your homework because if you buy something with a mistake it's now your mistake.

That little shack you spoke of is called the Laundry Room or Golf Cart Garage by many of the people I know that have one. Just as a point of interest Patio Villas and some CYV's have the laundry in the garage. You don't do as much laundry here cause Shorts and a T-Shirt takes up way less room in the Washing Machine.

Keep up the good work, No Buyers Remorse and Triple Check anything you here from The Realtor down to a poster like me on TOTV'S. Good Luck. It's great over here I hope things work out for you both.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Thank you - that is exactly what I'm talking about! I've seen some people use this shed/shack/room/whatever not just for laundry, but also as a workshed for things like woodworking projects. Do you know if these sheds can be "finished?' By that I mean insulated and some sort of vent leading from the house to the shed to allow for air conditioning to get in there?

I'd actually wondered about the garages in the designer home and the CYV and Patio Villa we've stayed in, in the past - some of them were spacious enough to have workshops in them, but they were horrendously hot. I'd wondered if they had AC and it just wasn't used, or if they didn't have them at all.
In my previous house, my 'man cave' had a large window that faced directly west...and became unbearably hot in the afternoon.

Even with tinting the windows and shutting the curtains, the only way to keep it cool in that one room was to lower the thermostat so much that all of the other 3,500 sf of the house...stayed at about 62 degrees.

Found a nice one of these, which can easily be turned on/off when needed...and the problem was solved.

Portable A/C Units (Poke Here)

As for the venting, something like this in the window of the shack...would never even be noticed.

Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	A-C Vent.JPG
Views:	257
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	78491  

Last edited by ColdNoMore; 02-09-2019 at 04:54 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:54 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
In my previous house, my 'man cave' had a large window that faced directly west...and became unbearably hot in the afternoon.

Even with tinting the windows and shutting the curtains, the only way to keep it cool in that one room was to lower the thermostat so much that all of the other 3,500 sf of the house...stayed at about 62 degrees.

Found a nice one of these, which can easily be turned on/off when needed...and the problem was solved.

Portable A/C Units (Poke Here)

As for the venting, something like this in the window...would never even be noticed.

Exactally!
Steve
Old 02-09-2019, 05:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
This is the "room" I refer to (though this isn't the home we're looking at): Homefinder - The Villages(R) Homes and Villas for Sale - opposite that window is a door that leads out to the car port. There are two steps in the carport to the actual manufactured house, but the room itself is not insulated, is not a finished room, has no ductwork leading to the main house, and has no way of getting into it, beyond that door leading directly to the carport.

What a beautiful home! I hope the one you choose brings you happiness. This is such a wonderful place. We have several friends who live near where you are looking. Their homes are just beautiful too.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:11 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Thank you - that is exactly what I'm talking about! I've seen some people use this shed/shack/room/whatever not just for laundry, but also as a workshed for things like woodworking projects. Do you know if these sheds can be "finished?' By that I mean insulated and some sort of vent leading from the house to the shed to allow for air conditioning to get in there?
Mine had shelving all around and I stored the lawn mower, seasonal ornaments, and other large tools there. There's no reason you couldn't insulate and drywall the interior without needing ARC permission. It would be nice. As far as the venting goes, the wall in my shed with the washer and dryer abutted the wall of the hall bath inside. If an A/C contractor could somehow extend the ductwork from inside, you also wouldn't need permission.

Check to see if the gray pipes have been replaced in any manufactured homes you're considering. I needed to get mine re-plumbed (around $600 but that was 7 years ago and it was only a 1000 sf house).

Last edited by queasy27; 02-09-2019 at 10:02 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,369 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by queasy27 View Post
Mine had shelving all around and I stored the lawn mower, seasonal ornaments, and other large tools there. There's no reason you couldn't insulate and drywall the interior without needing ARC permission. It would be nice. As far as the venting goes, the wall in my shed with the washer and dryer abutted the wall of the hall bath inside. If an A/C contractor could somehow extend the tubing/hoses from inside, you wouldn't need permission.

Check to see if the gray pipes have been replaced in any manufactured homes you're considering. I needed to get mine re-plumbed (around $600 but that was 7 years ago and it was only 1000 sf).
SOOO glad you mentioned that, you just saved us a potential huge mistake. We put an offer down a couple of hours ago and it was accepted. But I'd totally forgotten to ask about that, and already arranged a flight down for a physical inspection and to give the deposit if it passes the inspection. Booked a hotel room too - but if the agent says the grey pipes haven't been replaced, I can cancel the flight and the room and save a thousand bucks and 3 days of time.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:33 PM
Gold member

Quote:
SOOO glad you mentioned that, you just saved us a potential huge mistake. We put an offer down a couple of hours ago and it was accepted. But I'd totally forgotten to ask about that, and already arranged a flight down for a physical inspection and to give the deposit if it passes the inspection. Booked a hotel room too - but if the agent says the grey pipes haven't been replaced, I can cancel the flight and the room and save a thousand bucks and 3 days of time.
Shouldn't be a deal breaker, maybe just a negotiating tool?
Steve
Old 02-09-2019, 09:38 PM
Sage

I don't think you will have a problem. I do not know the owner at all but I can tell you the house is a Diamond. We went during the first Open House. Good Job. Good house. Nice neighbors. Not to much traffic. Your gonna be fine.

The only problem will be keeping it up to the shape it's in now, just about perfect. Happy for you.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
Shouldn't be a deal breaker, maybe just a negotiating tool?
Steve
Yeah we would hope, but they came down in price as low as they were willing to go (we had a little back and forth and came up significantly from our initial offer). It's such a sweet looking home too. But they're looking for a quick closing (in less than 3 weeks!) so if it needs the plumbing repiped, it could result in a setback.

On the other hand, we could remind them that if it does in fact need repiping, it's not likely they'll find a buyer willing to pay what we offered, and NOT have them repipe it. So they should just accept our offer and the contingency and save themselves some trouble. Right???
Old 02-09-2019, 09:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
I don't think you will have a problem. I do not know the owner at all but I can tell you the house is a Diamond. We went during the first Open House. Good Job. Good house. Nice neighbors. Not to much traffic. Your gonna be fine.

The only problem will be keeping it up to the shape it's in now, just about perfect. Happy for you.
How do you know which one we offered on!!
Old 02-09-2019, 09:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
The Picture earlier in the Thread unless it the wrong one.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
The Picture earlier in the Thread unless it the wrong one.
Hm, I didn't post any pictures. ColdNoMore posted a picture of the portable air conditioner he used (we have a similar one, and I do remember now we don't have to put a whole board up, we have that sliding plastic piece with the hole for the vent tube. We originally had the unit in a room that had push-out windows, and couldn't use that plastic piece, and had to remove the glass completely and replace it with a board with a hole in it).
Old 02-09-2019, 10:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
You said this was not the one but similar. This is the picture you posted;

Homefinder - The Villages(R) Homes and Villas for Sale

Tags
restrictions, amount, offer, ceramic, unit

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.