Specific Community Standards, Deed Restrictions

Specific Community Standards, Deed Restrictions

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 02-09-2019, 02:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Hm, we have a portable one on wheels we could stick under the window. We have that for our current home, which was built in 1958 and has no central air conditioning. We had to board up the window and put a hole in the board so that the duct would fit through it. Incredibly unattractive and I never would have considered doing that to a home in the Villages.

But sure I suppose I could. Maybe paint the board so it's not so unattractive. The window is in the back of the shack so at least the neighbors wouldn't have to look at it.
There are no shacks on the Historical Side of TV.

Old 02-09-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
There are no shacks on the Historical Side of TV.
I don't know what this attached structure is called. As I mentioned in two other posts, I'm calling it a shack. Or an attached shack. Or a laundry area. Or a room with 3 walls, double doors, and a window. An exterior room with no access from the actual house. A structure that shares one wall with the house, that you have to leave the house in order to enter. The place where trailer park homeowners do their laundry. A workshop with its own entrance.

Whatever you want to call it, it's that thing. If you want to nitpick over a word, then provide the correct word. I don't know what that thing is called.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2019, 02:40 PM

This is the "room" I refer to (though this isn't the home we're looking at): Homefinder - The Villages(R) Homes and Villas for Sale - opposite that window is a door that leads out to the car port. There are two steps in the carport to the actual manufactured house, but the room itself is not insulated, is not a finished room, has no ductwork leading to the main house, and has no way of getting into it, beyond that door leading directly to the carport.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:53 PM

Many of the manufactured homes have a shed attached to and at the end of the carport. Residents need to exit their houses in order to access it. The door has a lock. There is no air conditioning in the shed but it's no different than having a washer/dryer in a garage as far as the temperature is concerned. I don't know everyone on the historic side, but none of my neighbors or I when I lived there considered air conditioning the laundry shed. The dryer is vented to the outside so it doesn't get any hotter than it usually is. There's usually a louvered window for some outside air circulation.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queasy27 View Post
Many of the manufactured homes have a shed attached to and at the end of the carport. Residents need to exit their houses in order to access it. The door has a lock. There is no air conditioning in the shed but it's no different than having a washer/dryer in a garage as far as the temperature is concerned. I don't know everyone on the historic side, but none of my neighbors or I when I lived there considered air conditioning the laundry shed. The dryer is vented to the outside so it doesn't get any hotter than it usually is. There's usually a louvered window for some outside air circulation.
Thank you - that is exactly what I'm talking about! I've seen some people use this shed/shack/room/whatever not just for laundry, but also as a workshed for things like woodworking projects. Do you know if these sheds can be "finished?' By that I mean insulated and some sort of vent leading from the house to the shed to allow for air conditioning to get in there?

I'd actually wondered about the garages in the designer home and the CYV and Patio Villa we've stayed in, in the past - some of them were spacious enough to have workshops in them, but they were horrendously hot. I'd wondered if they had AC and it just wasn't used, or if they didn't have them at all.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Wow I found the answer in a different section of the standards website. There are NO restrictions for lawn ornaments in the Lady Lake-Lake County section. This is actually disappointing, I'm one of those who agree that the bent-over bloomer ladies and the tacky plastic pink flamingos are a bit much. But I guess I could live with that, if it meant I could put a garden gnome in the front garden.

It brings me to another question regarding the deed restrictions though. I'm looking into the Orange Blossoms area, up near Schwartz Blvd at the northern end of the Villages. The property is a manufactured, in what appears to be excellent condition. The laundry room is a separate part of the property; you have to leave your house to get through the double doors into what is actually just an attached shack.

The deed restrictions prohibit window air conditioners and requires central air. The central air doesn't hook up to that outdoor, un-insulated shack area. And that shack has a window. Is a window air conditioner permitted in that spot, since it's not really part of the living space? I imagine doing the laundry in there when it's 90° on a rainy day can't be comfortable if you can't open the window and the double doors without getting soaked by the rain.

Where would I find this information, on whether or not the external, uninsulated, "not under heat" laundry room/workshop falls within the prohibited area?
And I am one of those who find garden gnomes equally as tacky as bent-over bloomer ladies! You see? I'm happy for the restrictions.

It sounds like you have a bit of due diligence to do regarding this property, especially in regards to the window air conditioner.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
You aren't allowed to modify your home like that without permission from the Architectural Review Committee.

You have mentioned that you don't want to move here but your husband does. I think we are not the cause of a lot of your frustration.
Don't worry it too much here on the historic side. It's not a "modification" anyway. Just get someone to drill a hole through the wzll with a hole saw and put a grill in.
Steve
Old 02-09-2019, 04:05 PM
Sage

I wonder and am going to find out here not by calling anybody cause I don't do that at all. (Most of the Time) Is there a restriction on the Color a Driveway can be Painted on the Hysterical Side? Just wondering. There is one that is just absolutely AMAZING. It must be a shot at a NEIGHBOR. Trying to upset the peaceful Apple Cart over here. No address was given on Porpoise.

Jazuela, window A/C'S are not allowed in these parts but I don't think you would have any problem with one that is there now. It is not impossible to have a problem but not probable. Keep doing your homework because if you buy something with a mistake it's now your mistake.

That little shack you spoke of is called the Laundry Room or Golf Cart Garage by many of the people I know that have one. Just as a point of interest Patio Villas and some CYV's have the laundry in the garage. You don't do as much laundry here cause Shorts and a T-Shirt takes up way less room in the Washing Machine.

Keep up the good work, No Buyers Remorse and Triple Check anything you here from The Realtor down to a poster like me on TOTV'S. Good Luck. It's great over here I hope things work out for you both.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Thank you - that is exactly what I'm talking about! I've seen some people use this shed/shack/room/whatever not just for laundry, but also as a workshed for things like woodworking projects. Do you know if these sheds can be "finished?' By that I mean insulated and some sort of vent leading from the house to the shed to allow for air conditioning to get in there?

I'd actually wondered about the garages in the designer home and the CYV and Patio Villa we've stayed in, in the past - some of them were spacious enough to have workshops in them, but they were horrendously hot. I'd wondered if they had AC and it just wasn't used, or if they didn't have them at all.
In my previous house, my 'man cave' had a large window that faced directly west...and became unbearably hot in the afternoon.

Even with tinting the windows and shutting the curtains, the only way to keep it cool in that one room was to lower the thermostat so much that all of the other 3,500 sf of the house...stayed at about 62 degrees.

Found a nice one of these, which can easily be turned on/off when needed...and the problem was solved.

Portable A/C Units (Poke Here)

As for the venting, something like this in the window of the shack...would never even be noticed.

Attached Thumbnails
c-vent-jpg  

Last edited by ColdNoMore; 02-09-2019 at 04:54 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
In my previous house, my 'man cave' had a large window that faced directly west...and became unbearably hot in the afternoon.

Even with tinting the windows and shutting the curtains, the only way to keep it cool in that one room was to lower the thermostat so much that all of the other 3,500 sf of the house...stayed at about 62 degrees.

Found a nice one of these, which can easily be turned on/off when needed...and the problem was solved.

Portable A/C Units (Poke Here)

As for the venting, something like this in the window...would never even be noticed.

Exactally!
Steve

Tags
restrictions, amount, offer, ceramic, unit