Subject: U.S. Government Ineptness to Covid-19

Closed Thread
Old 03-16-2020, 02:05 PM
Default Subject: U.S. Government Ineptness to Covid-19

All, This missive is penned by a very angry U.S. citizen who resides in The Villages, FL. To set the record straight I DID NOT VOTE for Obama or Trump, so any partisan attack on me or this missive is out of bounds and misplaced. This is a public health issue that should be non-partisan; however, most politicians on both sides and the media do not care about America the country and its constituents … pox on their house so to speak!

Background.
I traveled from Miami, FL airport (MIA) to Paris, France airport (ORLY) on 9-Mar-2020 and have been monitoring the rapid spread of the virus and as well as the complete shutdown of Italy which is France’s neighbor. It seemed to me that France would likely restrict travel and even shut down all but essential services – which came to fruition. This was compounded with the U.S. announcement restricting all incoming travel from any EU country. So as an American, I decided to err on the side of caution and return to the U.S. pronto before essentially being quarantined in France. The airline upon which was return was booked would not allow me to change my itinerary, so I purchased another ticket from Paris, France airport (CDR) to London airport (LHR) and LHR to MIA on one of the last flights out of both France and the UK.

The American Airlines Flight departed LHR on 15-Mar-2020 and landed that evening in MIA. The Captain informed us of a need to complete a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) form before landing. The form appeared hastily put together and asked general health questions including contact information but DID NOT INCLUDE A PASSPORT NUMBER. This obvious common-sense omission was very surprising as it would have enabled cross checking and contacting infected individuals as needed. An individual could have placed fake contact information on the form which is a huge hole by the CDC in effectively processing passengers.

When the plane landed in MIA, the CDC directed the Captain to hold on the tarmac for about an hour. The CDC then directed the plan to the jetway and communicated we would de-board in groups of 20, then 10, then five. The lack of clear CDC processes and procedures by CDC was evidence of poor planning.

Two CDC representatives met passengers on the jetway, and I was asked for the form we filled out on the plane which he looked at and asked me several questions that were on the form. He proceeded to give me heath tips including washing my hands and to contact my doctor if any elevation in temperature occurred. However, NO TEMPERATURES WERE TAKEN BY THE CDC.

We were then allowed to proceed to Immigration and Customs along with a large number of passengers from other incoming international flights. The passengers on my flight collectively spent over 10 hours in very close proximity to one another. Commons sense would dictate CDC should have processed all the passengers and flight crew as one entirety as a potentially infected group before releasing a single individual into the terminal and general population. Hypothetically, if a passenger in the back of the plane was infectious the CDC would have already cleared those who proceeded and cleared Immigration and Customs. This COMPLETE CDC PROCESS FAILURE potentially allowed passengers to unwittingly further spread the virus throughout the U.S.

The reason for my anger and this overly long missive is the LACK OF COMMON-SENSE HEALTH PROCESSES and the GROSS MISMANAGEMENT BY the CDC and other supposedly responsible authorities.

What can be done by the populace to bring about positive common-sense changes by entrenched government agencies and personnel, without the requisite leadership. While operating in silos with little or no accountability, the CDC and other agencies are increasing the exposure to and resulting damage from Covid-19.

It’s easy to find fault; however, I would like to share my own common-sense approach. Three weeks ago, I purchased a digital temple thermometer for $25 and have been monitoring my temperature three times a day. Should I see my temperature elevate, I will immediately see my doctor or go to the ER. Elevated temperatures are the main leading indicator of many infections. I consider my $25 a superior investment than purchasing masks, cart loads of triple ply toilet paper. However, I’m not a health expert or an investment advisor just someone applying a bit of common-sense.

This missive seems to my only outlet and hopefully it will be amplified across our great nation to effect changes so please share. Be safe, healthy in this crazy time. Jeff
Old 03-16-2020, 02:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,358 Times in 2,509 Posts

Why would you go to France for in the first place, given all the news about the spread of the virus there.
Your lucky the CDC didn't quarantine you.
If any a***e kicking is due, you should be at the front of the queue!
Old 03-16-2020, 02:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Why not express your concerns directly to the CDC? If what you posted is true, you may have some helpful suggestions for them to improve the process and you might save hundreds of other Americans returning from abroad the angst that you seem to harbor.
Old 03-16-2020, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Why would you go to France for in the first place, given all the news about the spread of the virus there.
If any a***e kicking is due, you should be at the front of the queue!
Have to agree. By the time he left this was full blown why would you go? Pretty sure that just having a thermometer would solve many issues. Too many unknowns pertaining to the virus and best way to manage control. Hard to condemn when you do not have all the facts and the variables are nearly unlimited.
Old 03-16-2020, 03:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Bla Bla Bla Bla Me Me Me Me I I I I
Old 03-16-2020, 03:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,417 Times in 2,267 Posts

A person's first post should be an introduction..

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 03-16-2020, 04:08 PM

Great idea about the digital thermometer but if this is so effective their won't be any available in the stores. I can't even find sanitizer or toilet paper.
Old 03-16-2020, 04:25 PM

They have come out and said that if you believe you are showing symptoms to call your doctor! Do not go to his office or the ER, call first so they can prepare for you. The last thing they need is someone infected sitting in a waiting room.
Like others have said...I sure hope you had a real good reason for going in the first place. You had to know that it was risky.
Old 03-16-2020, 04:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270270 View Post
All, This missive is penned by a very angry U.S. citizen who resides in The Villages, FL.

Et Al.

This missive seems to my only outlet and hopefully it will be amplified across our great nation to effect changes so please share. Be safe, healthy in this crazy time. Jeff
Rightly or wrongly, I am going to assume you came to TOTV because you needed somewhere to vent and thought this might be the place, unfortunately not. You will only end up getting very snarky and immature remarks from most of the regular macho men on this site; although the doctor in the house was a little more generous to you!

I can only assume you were traveling because you needed to, after all not too many people will be taking a European vacation at the moment with the Virus being so prevalent everywhere in the world.

As to the subject of your missive, I happen to agree with you. The response to this crisis has been less than encouraging. I had always looked at the USA through rose tinted glasses, thinking that our Government would be ready for anything ............ I guess I was wrong and if we are not careful we will descend into mayhem and the dark underbelly of the country will be on view for all to see.

An example of the dark under belly of The Villages was relayed to me today at the pharmacy counter in Publix. I asked for hand sanitizer to use at the counter, "we have none and cannot get any", I then asked about hand wipes at the front door before touching the cart "We have none, people have been opening the wipes holder and stealing the whole roll".

270270;1728476, I hope things get better, and remember ask nothing from anyone and you will never be disappointed.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Last edited by Madelaine Amee; 03-16-2020 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
If any a***e kicking is due, you should be ayt the front of the queue!
My thoughts, exactly!
Closed Thread

Tags
cdc, passengers, common-sense, france, u.s

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.