Taking that first step...

Closed Thread
Old 12-15-2014, 11:28 PM
Default Taking that first step...

Having reached the mid 70's, our children are now starting that "push" for us to move back East. We're now in Arizona and that 6 hour plane ride is just a bit much for them and us. So.....in April we will be at TV for a seven-day look-around. Major issues for us have more to do with health than anything else. For my wife who has a number of medical problems some key factors will be:

1. The change from the very low humidity we now injoy in the desert.
2. Having almost no bug problems now that could cause her problems (does
not heal from some bites for a month).

With that said, all the videos we see and the information we keep reading from curren residents would seem to indicate we may be headed in the right direction.

Looking forward to the stay in any case.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:55 PM

I have respiratory problems, and there are times when the humidity in the summer will cause me to have some additional difficulty breathing, but the rest of the time isn't a problem. Depending on her health problems , it might be a good idea to look into the doctors and health care system when you are here, I am not impressed with the health care system here. I am sure you will find many different opinions about it.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:06 AM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim G View Post
Having reached the mid 70's, our children are now starting that "push" for us to move back East. We're now in Arizona and that 6 hour plane ride is just a bit much for them and us. So.....in April we will be at TV for a seven-day look-around. Major issues for us have more to do with health than anything else. For my wife who has a number of medical problems some key factors will be:

With that said, all the videos we see and the information we keep reading from curren residents would seem to indicate we may be headed in the right direction.

Yes, there is humidity especially in the summer. All of the buildings are air conditioned so you just avoid the humidity as much as possible if it is a huge problem. I have become used to it. As far as bugs go I can count on one hand how many mosquito bites I've had. I don't heal well either. The Villages sprays the neighborhoods for bugs regularly. Other than that unless you sit outside every night you will be fine. I think we have less bugs than we did in Michigan. Almost all houses have screened-in lanais here. It's pretty great here so I would definitely give it a chance. It's a lifestyle you are paying for here not just a home.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:30 AM
Sage

never see a bug here except lovebugs (ugh).
Humidity aggravates my arthritis. so I stay in the AC as much as possible in summer.
Other than that it's all good.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 12-16-2014, 09:21 AM
Sage

I looked in The Villages latest phone book and if it's accurate there are abut 150 people from Arizona. That's not very many. It's also broken down by city.
I wonder if the phone book makers "Data Publishing" would send you a list of names. On the cover it says they have been making the phone book for 17 years.

I couldn't find an Arizona Club. click here Scroll around that website. It has a lot of useful information.

I remember when I was moving down I was thinking about buying a Smart Car. I took
a chance and called the president of the club and asked him for 5 minutes of his time. We talked for about 45 minutes about Smart Cars. People are very friendly down here.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:06 PM
Gold member

Humidity is very tolerate for a healthy person but could be a problem for those with respiratory problems. Mosquitoes love me for some reason so I tend to not go where they will be and try to stay indoors when they are around. Love bugs come twice a year in September and May usually but they do not bite just make you clean your car and golf cart more often.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:13 PM

The biggest change for us was the ease in going everywhere in a golf cart instead of a car.
We now use our one car very little and have saved $$$ in gas, insurance, maintenance etc. for 2 cars. Good Luck!
Old 01-11-2015, 09:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim G View Post

We looked seriously at the Surprise, AZ area for the last several years and have friends that live out there. Biggest concern was the cost of golf there since we play a lot. Heat wasn't a concern; we've visited there numerous times in the summer. Bug concern? Not really. Humidity? It's as high here in KC as it is in TV most of the time. We just really liked everything there was to do, any time of day.

We bought our own little piece of paradise in TV back during Thanksgiving week. Was only able to stay there 2 weeks before I had to come back to KC; hoping to be there for good in a couple of months. Good luck with your decision.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default You will love

Since you are our age. Consider this an invitation for both of you to our homefor a drink and a chat. We love this place, and I don't get two dollars for recruiting people like some people say.

You have no idea how flabbergasted you will be.

Kind regards and a hearty welcome to the forum.

Gracie et al.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:57 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I would make a follow up trip in the summer. We had the same questions on humidity. For us the move has worked out.
I would think bugs will not be a problem.
Can you rent for the summer and visit the doctors you will need. This could be a problem.
see http://villages4rent.com/ for renting.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:09 PM
Gold member

Mosquitoes are not a problem in TV, and the serious level of humidity in summer is taken care of by the air conditioning with lower electric rates than our former states.

Easier access for your kids and families could yield more frequent visits from them and that outweighs the slight negatives you mentioned.

Beyond that, it's like the Johnny Mercer song:

"Life is what you make it, and what you make it....is up to you....."
Old 01-12-2015, 09:10 PM
Platinum member

In 2010 we were searching in AZ for a retirement home and were very impessed with a development between Phoenix and Tucson built by Robeson. We realized that 6 hour flight would get old very soon and that we would not have many visitors from Boston. We then visited The Villages that same year and we were amazed with everything that was included and the variety of activities whether you are an active or sedentary type of person. We've been here since 9/2010 and have had lots of company (Disney is a nice draw too). Kids of all ages like it here and it's only a 2 1/2 hr flight from Boston/Prov area into Orlando or Tampa, whoever has the cheapest flight deal at the time. Humidity last summer was bad but 2011,12,13 were great summers and didn't bother my respiratory problems at all and like the others say, everything is A/C so no need staying cooped up at home when there are a lot of clubs/games meeting in the Rec Ctrs. Come and see for yourself.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:42 PM
deestatham

Best of luck to you and your wife. My husband and I are getting ready now to move to TV. Getting our house ready to put on the market in March 2015 and getting rid of most of our furniture so we can start all over. Furniture here in Maryland doesn't look good in TV. We've been contemplating this move for 5 years and we've decided that TV is definitely the place we want to be. It will be more humid in Florida than it is in Arizona but that's what air conditioning is for. I think you'd be very happy.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.