Im new and greeen... Do we need Flood insurance??

Closed Thread
Old 11-24-2018, 01:17 PM
Default Im new and greeen... Do we need Flood insurance??

My wife and I are uprooting and moving to TV on Dec. 1. Lots of unknowns. We will be in Dunedin. What are your thoughts on Flood insurance? Lake Deaton (swampy) is not far. Maybe 600 feet. Do you recommend it?

Also, TV Insurance co. is pricier, but may include more coverage... is there another company you guys recommend? Suggestions?

THANK YOU!
Old 11-24-2018, 04:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

We went through Irma last year (15 inches of rain in 24 hours if I recall correctly), and NO water anywhere close by (Pinellas), however other areas in the older sections of TV did have some flooding problems but as I recall NO homes flooded, just streets, MM paths, and tunnels.
IMHO, ask your neighbors what their experiences were last year, then make up your mind.
Sumter County has a flood plain map, I will try to find it again, but your could try using Google and 'Sumter county flood plain map' with any luck it will get you there directly, you can then zoom into your exact neighborhood.
PS we do not carry flood insurance.
Old 11-24-2018, 04:42 PM

Thank you! My head says we'd be fine without it ($450/yr) but my heart worries... "what if?"
Old 11-24-2018, 05:24 PM
Gold member

Depends on your comfort level. We lived in South Florida on a perfectly level street, surrounded by more perfectly level streets. We were on the water so we had flood insurance. When a major hurricane hit we expected damage from the large body of water. Nope! The drains in the streets got backed up from all of the debris and we were flooded from the street side of our home.
Old 11-24-2018, 05:55 PM

Think of what Houston looked like when Harvey stopped by to visit and wouldn't go away. I think they received 54" of rain. The area had outgrown the flood plan. I know TV is no comparison but it is growing at a tremendous rate. Who can predict the outcome of a slow moving tropical system when the terrain has changed so much. I can't imagine money better spent than on flood insurance.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:30 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,573 Times in 1,749 Posts

Florida looks like one vast flood plain to me and relentless rain can come down fast and hard. I would consider going with flood insurance for a few years if I were concerned after researching an area.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 11-25-2018 at 07:32 AM.
Old 11-24-2018, 09:21 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry C View Post
My wife and I are uprooting and moving to TV on Dec. 1. Lots of unknowns. We will be in Dunedin. What are your thoughts on Flood insurance? Lake Deaton (swampy) is not far. Maybe 600 feet. Do you recommend it? ...
I'm not familiar with your area but we went through the same laboring - should we, shouldn't we -

We asked our insurance agent how many claims have been made for flooding in our area? Her answer helped us decide to forego it.

However, if it will keep you awake at night - get it.
Old 11-24-2018, 09:58 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,084 Times in 367 Posts

You can help yourself when you buy. There are areas in TV where it is totally unlikely that you would have a flood (Mallory) and others that could possibly present a problem under extreme conditions. If we did have flooded areas ,it is hard to imagine raging waters from overflowing rivers. If that happens, look for the closest Ark.
Old 11-25-2018, 06:41 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656

We don't have, and no one we know down her in the villages does either. Doesn't mean all of us are right.

Lately, a lot of friends have switched from the villages insurance to other options due to a increase in their bill.
Old 11-25-2018, 04:58 PM
Platinum member

I have flood insurance for my peace of mind. Florida is a peninsula. There have been many areas here in Florida not in a high risk flood plain that got really slammed, and the majority of the people did not have flood insurance because they didn't think they would EVER flood.

With all the development in The Villages, there is more and more concrete and asphalt. Naturally, those do not soak up water but create more runoff. As for the expense: Insurance is expensive...period. That is, until you need it. It is a national program and they set the price, so it doesn't have anything to do with individual insurance companies.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 11-25-2018, 05:05 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry C View Post
My wife and I are uprooting and moving to TV on Dec. 1. Lots of unknowns. We will be in Dunedin. What are your thoughts on Flood insurance? Lake Deaton (swampy) is not far. Maybe 600 feet. Do you recommend it?

Also, TV Insurance co. is pricier, but may include more coverage... is there another company you guys recommend? Suggestions?

THANK YOU!
TV Insurance is a broker, not an insurer. They always look for the best price and coverage for what we need. I changed my car insurance last year because they compared and found that Traveler's was the best deal for the money. Saved me quite a bit from the State Farm that I had. As for the flood insurance, that is federal insurance and the price is controlled by them. TV Insurance just set it up initially, and I get an invoice yearly from the carrier.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 11-25-2018, 05:41 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
We went through Irma last year (15 inches of rain in 24 hours if I recall correctly), and NO water anywhere close by (Pinellas), .
We are in Pinellas and our street was flooded up above the curb and the water came partway up ours and our neighbors' driveways and struck around for a few days. Part of Pinellas Pl. was flooded for a day or so.

Some houses in the historic section were flooded.
Old 11-25-2018, 08:32 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

A lot of good current information about flooding in TV would be found watching this Feb. 2018 Storm Water Management workshop video held at Rohan Rec Center -> The Villages Community Development District Storm Water Presentation - YouTube
Old 11-26-2018, 07:55 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Like ALL insurance..............You buy insurance to cover losses which you can not afford.

This is true with Health, Life, Auto & Homeowners' Insurances.

Don't get me going on extended warranty insurance or airline cancellation insurance.

Good Luck.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:05 AM

We went to a presentation by the head of the golf courses. He said that The Villages would never flood, as the water is all connected and they monitor and pump the water out of the retention ponds and send it to the golf courses. That's why in a heavy rain, it looks like they're watering irrigating the golf courses, but it's just managing the water. That said, during the last hurricane to hit here, some tunnels and golf courses were flooded (makes sense with his explanation), but no flooding at all in the neighborhoods, even for properties on water.
Closed Thread

Tags
insurance, flood, recommend, pricier, feet

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.