Tell me your "gator" stories from TV!

Tell me your "gator" stories from TV!

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 10:18 AM
Sage

Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.

Best pair of Golf Shoes I own.

Old 11-27-2018, 10:38 AM
Sage

Last edited by John_W; 04-21-2019 at 01:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2018, 10:41 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmarkp View Post
That is TERRIBLE advice, Yung Dum!

The one I boxed sued me. He was a litigator.

While I was in court his cousin nipped me from behind. He was a tailgator.

The bite got infected and now I have gatoraids.

I don't think you're human, Yung Dum. You're nothing but an instigator!
I can help. I am a mitagator.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:44 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I can help. I am a mitagator.
Mrs. Gracie, you have to admit that was in the top ten posts of the year! Bravo!
Old 11-27-2018, 11:05 AM
Gold member

My best gator story. Every year on the Saturday following Thanksgiving is when we do the family Thanksgiving at my sister in laws house. My brother in law a die hard gator fan has 6 TV's in the house. All on and all tuned into the game. Of course I pick the seminoles to make the day more interesting. This year to my surprise we have half the TV's tuned into the Ohio State game. I ask hey what gives ? I hear some mumblings about this guy Urban Meyers and something about Benedict Arnold. The next sentence is if I had a choice I'd rather see Ohio State lose than the Gators win. My sister law comes in the room and makes the small talk with me. Says what do you have to be thankful for this year ? I say thankful for Urban development.
Old 11-27-2018, 11:25 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmarkp View Post
That is TERRIBLE advice, Yung Dum!

The one I boxed sued me. He was a litigator.

While I was in court his cousin nipped me from behind. He was a tailgator.

The bite got infected and now I have gatoraids.

I don't think you're human, Yung Dum. You're nothing but an instigator!
Superb.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:42 PM
Gold member

A little one ran out onto the cart path in front of us causing me to literally lock the brakes and skid to a stop. He was coming from the golf course and had intentions of crossing 466. I didn't want him to get run over so I herded him back onto the golf course. He was only about two and a half feet long. Several days later, I noticed an unidentifiable road kill near that spot on 466. It was about two and a half feet long.

Old 11-27-2018, 03:57 PM

It's generally thought that any body of water in alligator territory (which includes ALL of Florida) large enough to physically fit an alligator will at some point in time have an alligator in it. You DO see them in The Villages... and everywhere outside of The Villages, too!

People who grew up here (which I was not fortunate enough to do) say that gators generally feed at dusk or dawn and only have to feed once a week or so. If you see them laying up on the grass outside of a body of water, they are normally just storing up solar energy to allow them to digest. They are NOT trying to feed then. To feed, they generally stay in the water and grab things that are either already in the water or at water's edge. Alligators can be quite fast, but not for long. If you stay at least 20 feet or more from them, they will usually not even try to go for you, figuring that you'll leap away and get away from them while they use up their short burst of speed. Of course, if you let your pet run free or on a long leash and they like to stay down at the edge of the water and bark at that funny looking log, they might easily end up as a gator snack.

Some people are proud of the fact that they call animal control whenever they see an alligator in ponds behind their houses. These gators are caught and killed; they are NOT resettled in some distant swamp or gator sanctuary. To me, that's just a crying shame. They really don't bother us and they were here first. Alligators are wonderfully adapted survivors based on millions of years of evolution and yet we might be the death of them. Watch and enjoy them instead. It's really thrilling to watch one arch his head and tail up and bellow in the water to attract a mate; you'll see the water "dance" all along their backs. Just never, EVER feed them! They will associate humans with food and overcome their leeriness of humans and start to follow us. They they have to be caught and killed. As they say, "A fed alligator is a dead alligator."

I've tried gator meat with very mixed success. I had it in Texas once with some wonderful sauce and it was very tasty. Almost every other time, I must have gotten the bad cuts of meat as it so gristly that it was like chewing on knuckles. Your mileage may vary.

If you want to see some HUGE alligators, go to Gator World near The Villages (you can even hold a small one!) or Gator Land down in Orlando. Busch Gardens has some big ones as well.

By the way, alligators aren't the only wildlife in The Villages. People (not me, but I'm still looking) have seen Florida panthers, bobcat, coyote and otters. My wife and I have seen raccoons, armadillos, turtles and a large variety of great birds. There are some great spots like the Rose Weichens Preserve and the walking trails down in Fenney plus tons of parks, wildlife preserves, landfills and other great places outside The Villages to see wildlife. There are also any number of groups who enjoy going to see them, such as The Village Birders for birding. <full disclosure: I am a proud member of The Village Birders and also The Brownwood Birders>
Old 11-27-2018, 04:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLBell View Post
It's generally thought that any body of water in alligator territory (which includes ALL of Florida) large enough to physically fit an alligator will at some point in time have an alligator in it. You DO see them in The Villages... and everywhere outside of The Villages, too!

People who grew up here (which I was not fortunate enough to do) say that gators generally feed at dusk or dawn and only have to feed once a week or so. If you see them laying up on the grass outside of a body of water, they are normally just storing up solar energy to allow them to digest. They are NOT trying to feed then. To feed, they generally stay in the water and grab things that are either already in the water or at water's edge. Alligators can be quite fast, but not for long. If you stay at least 20 feet or more from them, they will usually not even try to go for you, figuring that you'll leap away and get away from them while they use up their short burst of speed. Of course, if you let your pet run free or on a long leash and they like to stay down at the edge of the water and bark at that funny looking log, they might easily end up as a gator snack.

Some people are proud of the fact that they call animal control whenever they see an alligator in ponds behind their houses. These gators are caught and killed; they are NOT resettled in some distant swamp or gator sanctuary. To me, that's just a crying shame. They really don't bother us and they were here first. Alligators are wonderfully adapted survivors based on millions of years of evolution and yet we might be the death of them. Watch and enjoy them instead. It's really thrilling to watch one arch his head and tail up and bellow in the water to attract a mate; you'll see the water "dance" all along their backs. Just never, EVER feed them! They will associate humans with food and overcome their leeriness of humans and start to follow us. They they have to be caught and killed. As they say, "A fed alligator is a dead alligator."

I've tried gator meat with very mixed success. I had it in Texas once with some wonderful sauce and it was very tasty. Almost every other time, I must have gotten the bad cuts of meat as it so gristly that it was like chewing on knuckles. Your mileage may vary.

If you want to see some HUGE alligators, go to Gator World near The Villages (you can even hold a small one!) or Gator Land down in Orlando. Busch Gardens has some big ones as well.

By the way, alligators aren't the only wildlife in The Villages. People (not me, but I'm still looking) have seen Florida panthers, bobcat, coyote and otters. My wife and I have seen raccoons, armadillos, turtles and a large variety of great birds. There are some great spots like the Rose Weichens Preserve and the walking trails down in Fenney plus tons of parks, wildlife preserves, landfills and other great places outside The Villages to see wildlife. There are also any number of groups who enjoy going to see them, such as The Village Birders for birding. <full disclosure: I am a proud member of The Village Birders and also The Brownwood Birders>
Good stuff. Thanks.
Old 11-27-2018, 04:19 PM
Sage

American crocodile removed from Lake Tarpon - YouTube

Hope you never see one of these in these parts.
Closed Thread

Tags
killed, injured, pet, chicken, taste