Tell me your "gator" stories from TV!

Tell me your "gator" stories from TV!

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 04:32 PM

We live in Sanibel, not near water. Nearest golf course is about a half mile away. This past summer my neighbor found one on our property line. Was a "young" one, at 5 feet (ugh). Trapper came and got him about 6 hours later, but we thought we didn't have to worry about them because of our location. Go figure.

Old 11-27-2018, 04:47 PM

I've lived in Florida for a long time, but the only close encounter I've had was down in the Winter Garden area. I was driving into Winter Garden on a back road and was startled to see a small gator - about 3 -4 ft long- right in the center of the road. I stopped, and fortunately he turned around and went back into the bushes. He'd been heading for the new McDonald's across the street, maybe to check out the fast food?

It's not a good idea to try to retrieve golf balls from the water around here.

You can try out gator at a couple of the local restaurants if curious. I prefer cow.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2018, 06:16 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I was standing on the tee box of #6 Egret last year waiting to hit and looked to my left and there was a gator that was as big as Larry the Gator at Brownwood about 20’ away. I started easing back and I guess the gator finally saw me and “flew” back into the marsh area.

My wife was playing Laurel Manor earlier this year with some of her friends and was on the par 5 2nd hole; there was a gator on the opposite side of the pond (#9 tee box side) and one of her friends went down to the edge of the pond to snap a pic. I guess the gator didn’t like that and jumped into the water and headed toward her.
For each of us, life is a journey. Where has your life taken you? Your entire life leads to the next step, the chance to define yourself by where you're headed, instead of where you stand. Today is the day you introduce yourself to your destiny.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:14 PM
Sage

This little guy was at LSL
Attached Thumbnails
img_0215-jpg  
Old 11-27-2018, 10:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
This little guy was at LSL
Cool soft shell turtle picture too.
Old 11-28-2018, 03:18 AM

A few months ago I was out for a stroll at about 3:00 AM on my cart. I saw a rather large gator laying in the grass next to the cart path. Being the jerk that I am, I proceeded to drive right toward it's face.....Gator didn't like that one bit and turned and ran. Those gators are QUICK for being such lethargic sociopaths.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:50 AM
Soaring Eagle member

There are gators everywhere in Florida. I don't swim in the water here, nor take my dog very close. I'm in St.James and they picked up a pretty good sized gator (7 feet if I recall) right on the corner of Buena Vista and St.Charles on the golf cart path by the St.James gate. I've seen them in the water at Sumter Landing and at the big pond on 466 and Morse. Gators are quite fast and stealthy, be careful.
Searcy, AR
Village of St.James, The Villages, FL
Old 01-18-2019, 11:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
We saw Larry the Gator on the Trolley ride somewhere around Brownwood. The only other one we spotted was in the pond on the right when you are coming over the Golf Cart Bridge from The Historic Section. It was thrilling but by the time I fumbled with the camera in the Cell Phone, it was gone.

I understand your question but it is a Non Issue really once you live here other than using common sense. I can't tell you how much it bothers me to see an adult fishing near a pond with little kids standing on the bank of the pond. But just like Golf Carts and other issues if the kids aren't mine then mum's the word!

Just move here and don't worry about the BIG SNAKES!

I would never order Gator Bites. I tried someone else's and didn't care for them.
Larry is quite a celebrity and even has his own FB page

Larry the Alligator - Home | Facebook
Old 01-19-2019, 08:31 AM
Gold member

When I moved here six years ago gator sightings were common, even frequent. In fact, in our golf group we would joke that only the new guys would comment on seeing a gator in the pond. Now, even though I play three times a week year round, I might see a gator just a few times a year, and it's usually a very small one. My guess is that they are being removed. I've eaten gator once, at a restaurant, and can best describe the taste as chicken with a fishy background. Not really pleasant, and kind of tough too. The most common gator in The Villages is the tail-gator, and you can see them every day on Morse Blvd., north of 466. I wish there was a way to have them removed too.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by collie1228 View Post
When I moved here six years ago gator sightings were common, even frequent. In fact, in our golf group we would joke that only the new guys would comment on seeing a gator in the pond. Now, even though I play three times a week year round, I might see a gator just a few times a year, and it's usually a very small one. My guess is that they are being removed. I've eaten gator once, at a restaurant, and can best describe the taste as chicken with a fishy background. Not really pleasant, and kind of tough too. The most common gator in The Villages is the tail-gator, and you can see them every day on Morse Blvd., north of 466. I wish there was a way to have them removed too.

Closed Thread

Tags
killed, injured, pet, chicken, taste