cost comparison for patio villas

Closed Thread
Old 03-11-2013, 08:19 PM
Default cost comparison for patio villas

I'm having a hard time with the prices of new vs pre-owned patio villas. I know that many of the pre owned ones have upgrades, but am trying to balance the cost of the upgrade vs wear and tear of an older home vs a new one. Some of them are $15,000 more than new! So, does anyone have an estimate of how much the following would cost:
1. laminate to replace carpet in PV
2. 2 solar tubes
3. enclosing PV lanai

These seem to be the ones I see the most. I'm probably trying to be too analytical in trying to see how much value these add to a pre-owned. Thanks for any ideas!
Old 03-11-2013, 08:22 PM
Sage

Also, remember you may get a pre-owned home in which the bond is already paid off saving thousands more.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:06 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougB View Post
Also, remember you may get a pre-owned home in which the bond is already paid off saving thousands more.
Yes, that and an enclosed lanai room are the big pluses.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:39 PM
Gold member

Don't forget the cost of landscaping.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:19 AM
Veteran member

We looked at CYV's and compared new VS pre-owned and like the Patio Villas, prices were all over the place depending on upgrades. You have to like the upgrades in the pre-owned because the owner is trying to recoop some of the expense in the upgrades with the listed price. We ended up purchasing a new CYV and over three years added upgrades such as solar tubes, landscaping, etc to our taste.

I agree with some of the previous posters that you have to look at the total price which also includes how much is left on the bond payoff and the age of the pre-owned. We have friends that purchased a pre-owned Patio Villa and three years later, had a bill of over $5000 to replace the AC unit.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:54 PM
Platinum member

I'd figure $1000 for the two solar tubes. A friend recently replaced carpet with laminate in the whole villa to the tune of $10K. Not sure about the cost of enclosing the lanai.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

lanai 5 to 8 thousand
Old 03-14-2013, 05:40 AM

Interesting!!! Strange no one has mentioned one of the basics of home buying --- Location, Location, Location.... If you don't think this applies in TV's, ask some of those buyers who live deep down in the Belly of Pennecamp, Buttonwood, Tamarind Grove and/ or those who are buying, with haste, south of 466A. There are numerous complaints about inadequate and untimely access to some of the main corridors leading to shops, gas stations and grocery stores. Are people being oblivious to to this???? It appears that they are. So, when you consider the prices that are placed on homes, don't discount the basics. Remember, upgrades are only relative if they meet with the likes of a potential buyer. IMO, I would think that Location, Bond balance, and landscape enhancements should weigh more on the varying of prices than interior enhancements. The new buyer is going to put his/her own stamp on the home anyway and sometimes, what might be considered a desirable interior enhancement at first may very well turn out to be a costly change.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:59 AM

Thanks everyone for the advice. We'll be there for the month of April and hopefully will buy and your thoughts really help!
Old 03-14-2013, 01:13 PM
Gold member

Landscaping $4500
Enclosing linai $5000
Lightning rods $1200
Screen door for garage $700
Garage steps $267
Gutters $251

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.