Thinking of retiring to TV

Closed Thread
Old 12-02-2014, 02:09 AM
Veteran member

Kathy and I think The Villages is "Retirement Paradise." We've lived here 18 months, so we have seen 'all seasons.' We vacationed here 1-2 weeks a year for 6 years (covering the 4 seasons) before buying. So we knew what we were getting. We just wish we could have moved here permanently sooner!

Yes, it may be a little crowded during snowbird season... but count your blessings... You're on the 'right side of the grass.'

Gene
Old 12-02-2014, 06:34 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeod View Post
Overcrowding is relative to where you come from. We came from San Diego county. One of the reasons we left was traffic. I worked six miles from home and it could take up to two hours to get home using freeway or surface streets. To me, even in the "high" season traffic is not bad. Someone from a rural area would feel otherwise. And we had an influx of people year round. People fleeing the cold in winter and those fleeing the heat of the southwest in the summer.

Attendance at entertainment in the squares peaks during the winter, so we tend to avoid them. We have plenty of time during the rest of the year to enjoy them. Same with getting into classes and activities at the tec centers. But it is still possible to do whatever you want, just with a little more planning. Same with golf. You can still play, just perhaps not the course or time you prefer. The system is set up to distribute tee times as equitably as possible.

As far as why we chose TV, we looked at several places in CA, but almost all had minimal amenities beyond the golf course. Here, there are so many other things to do, the risk is getting too active. We have had to pare back our membership in groups in order to have some leisure time.

I think the best advice is to visit TV during the winter and again in the summer and see for yourself.
Right on the money as usual. I think the overcrowding is overrated.

During the snowbird season, one might have to wait a while to get into a restaurant or be eight in line at a traffic light, as opposed to be first or second. One can always have a drink while waiting.

I think some people feel TV should be exclusive, so they are not ever inconvenience. My first visit to TV left me with the feeling that no other place could measure up to its amenities and lifestyle.

You have to visit and experience it for yourself.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 12-02-2014, 07:30 AM
Sage

It all depends on what you are looking for during your retirement years. If you want what The Villages offers you'll deal with the crowds - if not they will make you crazy!
Old 12-02-2014, 07:59 AM

You will absolutely love it.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:56 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
During the snowbird season, one might have to wait a while to get into a restaurant or be eight in line at a traffic light, as opposed to be first or second. One can always have a drink while waiting.
Hopefully you don't have that drink at the traffic light!!!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.