Thinking of Retiring to The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 12-11-2013, 11:35 AM
Default Thinking of Retiring to The Villages

Hello,

We have heard so much positive talk about The Villages that we want to come and take a look. We are from New York, fairly young, I am 43, my husband is 54. Hoping to retire in one year. We will be taking a cruise out of Tampa on January 27th and would like to spend some time, a week more or less, in The Villages prior to the cruise. We have so many questions and would like to meet Villagers and get the scoop. Feel free to PM us with any information if you want it confidential

- Are there any negatives to The Villages? All we have seen are glowing reviews.
- What is the best way to find a place to stay for one week?
- What are the best parts of The Villages, that are on the lower end of prices?
- Can a mixed race couple (Latina wife) expect discrimination?
- Do you have to be 55 to buy? Can you buy and rent for one year until age 55?

thank you
Old 12-11-2013, 11:55 AM
Location: Village of Hillsborough. (Past) Gilbertsvile, PA and Philadelphia, PA

My advise would be to set up a lifestyle visit. This way you can all of your questions answered. There is really no pressure by the realtors by doing this. There is a % of people under 55 who buy. Some live here full time and some rent. It depends on what is best for you
Old 12-11-2013, 12:07 PM

I'm a newbie here but may be able to answer some questions.

We came for our first LSV Labor Day weekend.....just to look. Well we were signing a contract within hours.

As far as age, it's a 80/20 ratio. 20% being under 55. My partner was 53 at thine of contract.

As far as discrimination. I haven't seen that. Our new friends are a young mixed couple, early/mid 40s. We just love them to death. We're bringing in the New Year with them as well as our other neighbors. I just love our neighborhood! So far we've only been down for a couple visits but come Christmas night we are there to stay....well most of the time.

We bought in Charlotte and the home we bought is not the higher end but its just so perfect! That's one thing they have a great home for every budget
Old 12-11-2013, 12:12 PM
Veteran member

I would also suggest a life style visit. We did ours in mid October and came away with all positive feelings. We wanted to make sure we were thinking clearly before we made an investment for the future. We are 3 years away from retirement. This week we began the process of buying.

It's a wonderful program that allows you to scoot around in a golf cart, go to any activity you may have an interest, and truly gives you a feeling of living in The Villages. Many of your questions can be answered by the great folks on this forum. But, you need to visit and fully understand the concept. You can read a lot about The Villages, but can't truly feel The Villages until you go to the community enviornment.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:04 PM

We are both under the 55 mark (but not by much) and we are purchasing a preowned in Orange Blossom Gardens for vacation and investment. 2 years we will be retiring there. We did our LSV in September and loved it.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:42 PM

Thank you for your replies and PM's. All have been helpful and positive!! Unless someone suggests something better I think we will do the Lifestyle Visit. It looks to be $150 a day not $100, is there a trick / coupon /referral to get it for $100?

Is it ok to talk about the Morse IRS lawsuit here? If so, what are the possible ramifications?

Please keep the replies coming.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:51 PM
Veteran member

The rate may be seasonal. In October we paid $125.00 per night. For that amount you get free movie coupons, discounts at a couple stores, free golf, and the ferry ride. Plus, the use of the golf cart, beautiful housing, and all the facilities.

I'm not touching the IRS issue with a 10 foot pole, but look forward to the replies!
Old 12-11-2013, 03:03 PM
Sage

I believe the price is seasonal. Please be aware internet is not available in the homes that provide lifestyle visits so plan accordingly.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

The Lifestyle rates are seasonal, $150, $125 and $100 depending on the time of the year. Usually they're booked about three months in advance, so January 27th would probably be hard to fit in. Call the '800' number, I would say they are probably booking March at this time. You could stay at a motel, the Waterfront Inn is about $130 a day and it's a short walk to Lake Sumter Landing. There is also a Hampton Inn on CR466 which is a couple of miles north. The bulk of the motels are near Spanish Springs Square, which would be OK if you're looking for a resale but very far from new construction.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:11 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,774 Times in 3,642 Posts
Default Irs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleLatinaWife View Post
Thank you for your replies and PM's. All have been helpful and positive!! Unless someone suggests something better I think we will do the Lifestyle Visit. It looks to be $150 a day not $100, is there a trick / coupon /referral to get it for $100?

Is it ok to talk about the Morse IRS lawsuit here? If so, what are the possible ramifications?

Search old threads regarding the IRS issue. Lots out there.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:21 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,774 Times in 3,642 Posts
Default but

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
The Lifestyle rates are seasonal, $150, $125 and $100 depending on the time of the year. Usually they're booked about three months in advance, so January 27th would probably be hard to fit in. Call the '800' number, I would say they are probably booking March at this time. You could stay at a motel, the Waterfront Inn is about $130 a day and it's a short walk to Lake Sumter Landing. There is also a Hampton Inn on CR466 which is a couple of miles north. The bulk of the motels are near Spanish Springs Square, which would be OK if you're looking for a resale but very far from new construction.
but with a hotel stay, you don't get a golf cart, golf, pools, etc.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:43 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Hello,

We have heard so much positive talk about The Villages that we want to come and take a look. We are from New York, fairly young, I am 43, my husband is 54. Hoping to retire in one year. We will be taking a cruise out of Tampa on January 27th and would like to spend some time, a week more or less, in The Villages prior to the cruise. We have so many questions and would like to meet Villagers and get the scoop. Feel free to PM us with any information if you want it confidential

- Are there any negatives to The Villages? All we have seen are glowing reviews.
- What is the best way to find a place to stay for one week?
- What are the best parts of The Villages, that are on the lower end of prices?
- Can a mixed race couple (Latina wife) expect discrimination?
- Do you have to be 55 to buy? Can you buy and rent for one year until age 55?

thank you
I bought at 53 years of age and my wife bought at 51. We have friends that live here that are 54 and 41 and other friends in their early 50's. I don't think from my experience you will encounter discrimination but there are +100,000 people here so I certainly can't speak for everyone. Send me a PM when the time gets closer for your trip and my wife and I would love to meet you for dinner, drinks or show you around
Old 12-11-2013, 09:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,179 Times in 835 Posts

Sent you a PM. If you don't know how that works, just look at the upper right edge of the screen. It will have a three line area with the first saying Welcome LittleLatina. Below that is an underlined Private Messages. Click there and you can see them.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:

This forum is owned by a private individual or individuals and is not connected to The Villages, the developer etc.

You can talk about the IRS lawsuit if you wish but it isn't against Morse and he has paid all of his income tax. The IRS is investigating whether municipal bonds in a CDD form of government can be tax free. The investigation is entering it's sixth year, with no completion. I think the lawyers will keep it going a long time.

There is no issue I have heard from anyone I know about interracial marriage here in The Villages, but I imagine some people are prejudiced against it.I personally haven't heard anyone saying things like that.. We are mostly white and I think the average age is about 62. The area is very conservative.

Call the sales office and ask them how much the nightly rate is for a lifestyle visit. Or you can stay at one of the area hotels.

Just log on the TheVillages.com and you can contact the sales office and get a packet or call and get information.

Come down and see what a wonderful place it is...........but.

WE are the lightning strike capital of the U.S. Eight homes have burnt to the ground in the last seven years as a result of lightning strikes.

The developer charges a separate fee for the infrastructure; the roads, club houses, golf courses, and underground wiring, plumbing etc. which are all in place when you move in. It is called the bond. In homes where most of us came from those charges were included in the price. It is a separate charge here.

We are in the middle of the sinkhole area in central Florida and catastrophic sink hole insurance coverage is no longer available on resale homes.

A new home can only use a conventional mortgage, and they will not accept any contingency offers on new homes or accept anything But the asking price for new homes. Resales are available with VA and FHA etc and you can make offers of less than asking, just like anywhere else.

Still in all, I find it to be the fairest place of all and the most amazing place I have ever lived.

Come down and see for yourself.

Last edited by graciegirl; 12-11-2013 at 11:30 PM.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
but with a hotel stay, you don't get a golf cart, golf, pools, etc.
That's correct, but the OP said he wanted to visit late January when he made his Florida trip. As I said in my earlier post, I don't think you would be able to book a LSV until March or maybe even April. Call the '800' number and you'll know for sure.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.