Title insurance

Closed Thread
Old 09-04-2021, 07:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

If you’re paying cash for your new house, you won’t have to buy a policy. If you’re purchasing using a mortgage loan your lender will probably require a title insurance policy. Whether you choose to buy the protection offered by the insurance if not required is up to you. In the highly unlikely event that you’d ever need it’s protection to pay fir the legal defense of your ownership it would be too late to purchase the policy .

The title insurance company used by the Closing Department is another business that is owned by the Developer, so the title insurance premium you’d pay becomes part of his profit. That doesn’t say that the title policy you’d buy is defective in any way—it’s probably just as good as one from any other title insurance company. Obviously the Developer, who owns the land that your house is built on, has title insurance protecting his ownership of the property.

Last edited by Villages Kahuna; 09-04-2021 at 07:23 AM.
Old 09-04-2021, 07:59 AM
Default title

I did not new if a problem comes up I and a bunch of people will sue The Villages - I did used
Old 09-04-2021, 08:01 AM
Thumbs down As one Lawyer once said to me....'How many times do we have to invent the wheel'????

You're buying from the Builder......how many lawyers have work on this transaction.??? Your recourse would be to the builder....do you think they are going out of business any time soon????
Old 09-04-2021, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtjp View Post
Buying brand new construction in Citrus Grove and was wondering if I really need to spend $1232.00 on title insurance?
That’s a ridiculous amount of money for title insurance. I would decline and shop for your own.
Old 09-04-2021, 08:19 AM

I have a Lawyer friend who told me he started a Title Insurance Company because it was like taking free money. The premiums far exceed the rare cases of Title Defense. He said if you actually read the fine print (which no one does) just about every conceivable thing that could happen is excluded.

Then there is the ultimate lawyer weasel clause that specifically states that anything that the Title Company could not have known is excluded. It is actually very easy to do a Title search yourself going pretty far back. But yes, Indians, squatters, Spanish Explorers could come back and claim Title.
Old 09-04-2021, 08:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,617 Times in 5,196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJackpot View Post
That’s a ridiculous amount of money for title insurance. I would decline and shop for your own.
The State of Florida determines the cost for title insurance. Shopping around will not change the cost.
Old 09-04-2021, 08:23 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJackpot View Post
Not sure, but I am pretty sure the cost of a title insurance policy is based on the cost of the house, and it insures for the sell price only, does not include any increase in value.

If I am wrong, somebody here will tell me. I hope.

Boomer
Old 09-04-2021, 08:33 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail33or View Post
I have a Lawyer friend who told me he started a Title Insurance Company because it was like taking free money. The premiums far exceed the rare cases of Title Defense. He said if you actually read the fine print (which no one does) just about every conceivable thing that could happen is excluded.

Then there is the ultimate lawyer weasel clause that specifically states that anything that the Title Company could not have known is excluded. It is actually very easy to do a Title search yourself going pretty far back. But yes, Indians, squatters, Spanish Explorers could come back and claim Title.
I think that is true for just about any insurance you buy. But, over the years, you will probably spend more than 10 times as much on homeowners insurance as the one time title insurance cost. Although, I agree that the risk of a defective title on a new house is very low.

And, based on the amount of money spent on television advertising for auto insurance, I think that is probably a lot more profitable then title insurance.
Old 09-04-2021, 08:53 AM

Many, many years (more than 40) in the lending and closing business. I bought my house here for cash and didn’t buy title insurance. Felt it wasn’t really necessary since there has been nothing here for eons except cantaloupes and watermelons. I have not ever known of an instance where title insurance is needed. Prior ( and in this case, none ) transactions can be corrected. I used the money that would have gone to it to have the inside painted, etc.
Old 09-04-2021, 09:07 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenwelsh View Post
Many, many years (more than 40) in the lending and closing business. I bought my house here for cash and didn’t buy title insurance. Felt it wasn’t really necessary since there has been nothing here for eons except cantaloupes and watermelons. I have not ever known of an instance where title insurance is needed. Prior ( and in this case, none ) transactions can be corrected. I used the money that would have gone to it to have the inside painted, etc.
Probably not needed for a new house. But, I once bought a pre-owned house where the title search revealed that a previous owner, years earlier, had sold the house, and the ex-wife of a the jointly owned house had been the only signer on the deed. The lawyer had to find the ex-husband, who was out-of-state, and get his signature before the house could be sold again.
Old 09-04-2021, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Buying brand new construction in Citrus Grove and was wondering if I really need to spend $1232.00 on title insurance?
Bought title insurance for a house many years ago. Found out there was an IRS lien for $14,000 that was missed. Turned it over to title company and they took care of it right away.
Old 09-04-2021, 09:27 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,083 Times in 295 Posts

If it's a new house in The Villages, your risk in infinitesimal, and the reason it's so high is because it's just another Villages revenue source, through The Village's own title company. I wouldn't buy it if there's not a mortgage company demanding it. The SELLER is supposed guarantee their title, not you. If you were buying a used house in The Villages, THE SELLER would be the one buying the title insurance, and I don't understand why a developer gets away with shifting the risk to you.

Title insurance is like any other insurance, though. If it helps you sleep at night, go for it. Personally, I only insure against hazards that have a measurable risk that I can't afford to absorb. At my age, there aren't many of those left beyond homeowner's and automobile liability.
Old 09-04-2021, 09:56 AM

Quote:
We opted not to. If there’s a issue with title it going to affect hundreds of homes since the villages buys large parcels of land. So if there’s a problem the villages should have no choice but to step in and resolve the issue.
Old 09-04-2021, 10:03 AM

Quote:
You do not need title insurance if you are paying cash. I didn’t and no problems. It is one of the largest scams in the USA.
I sold my house last month and no issues as it was a cash buyer as well.
Old 09-04-2021, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
When buying a house for cash, keep in mind that makes you the bank. Therefore, it is wise to do what a bank would do.
Title insurance only means that prior owner has no contractors liens and taxes / impact fees are paid. The title insurance provides no protection in title fraud or title dispute. Waste of money.
Closed Thread

Tags
title, insurance, $1232.00, spend, wondering

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.