traveling alone to florida

Closed Thread
Old 03-11-2013, 05:05 PM
Default traveling alone to florida

I am not sure how to use this site, but, I am looking to find out where to stop and rest for the night on my way from NY to west Coast of FL.
I am traveling with my dog and don't know where to stop my first night. Please help
Old 03-11-2013, 05:11 PM
Sage

Do a mapquest to see how far you are going - then decide how far you want to travel in any given day - then look for La Quinta - they are dog friendly. Keep your phone
charged and your tank full and you'll be fine.

I once travelled from Michigan to Florida with a Great Dane a cat than never stopped meowing and a 13 year old. Believe me - you'll be fine.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:28 PM
Sage

We like to stop and walk around every two hours; every second stop is at a gas station to fill up.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 03-11-2013, 06:22 PM
Veteran member

We usually stay at Red Roof Inns, as they are also dog friendly. I've traveled this route with my two pups several times and they do just great. Take pity on them and stop frequently for a quick walkabout (that benefits both you and the dog!) and you'll be there before you know it. Good luck!

Drank the Kool-Aid and now own a home in Tamarind Grove. Yippee!!
Old 03-11-2013, 06:52 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edenegri View Post
I am not sure how to use this site, but, I am looking to find out where to stop and rest for the night on my way from NY to west Coast of FL.
I am traveling with my dog and don't know where to stop my first night. Please help
Give us an idea of the total miles you will be driving, the major road you will be taking (95?), about how many hours a day you would like to drive (including stops). I usually stop in Flouence,SC on 95.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:32 PM
Platinum member

You can also go to DogFriendly.com® - Pet Travel Guides and City Guides for Dog/Pet Owners and I believe there are listings by route (ie I 95). We are partial to la Quintas as they do not charge pet fees and they provide dog walking areas. Some of the hotels/motels listed as "pet friendly" charge up to $100 for pets! That's not really pet friendly in my book!
Old 03-11-2013, 07:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by edenegri View Post
edenegri. You only have one error to your plans, going to the WEST coast of Florida. The Villages is the most wonderful place in Florida.

But maybe you are too young to retire to a better than 55 community?
Old 03-11-2013, 08:34 PM
Soaring Eagle member

All of the above advice is excellent. If you are a female I suggest you ask for a room that is NOT located in the back of the hotel/motel but is situated in the front where there is lots of light. Always have you phone with you and walk the dog in busy lighted areas. I've made the trip alone with two screaming cats and was vigilent and always aware of my surroundings. As Gracie mentioned TV is located in the middle of the state so stop by and see us. Have a safe trip.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:51 AM

Thank everyone for your help. I am leaving and taking Rt. 95. I like your suggestions to make sure the room is in the front, lighted area, and to stop frequently for my 17 yr old dauschaund lucy. AAA says it is approx 1200 mi, 18 hrs. So, that is why I am looking for a place after I drive about 8-10 hrs before it gets dark. Suggestions accepted if driving times are better for me to stop and rest for the night.
Keep your suggestions coming....I am feeling more confident about making this trip alone. I have been terrified! edenegri
Old 03-12-2013, 04:55 AM

I have gotten maps, books and a travel tik from AAA..they help, but, to hear from people like you is more rewarding. Thanks
Old 03-12-2013, 05:20 AM
Sage

There are pet water bowls that you can buy so that Lucy always has fresh water, and the water doesn't slop out. We walk our dogs every few hours. I agree with Lanabanana that Red Roof Hotels are very pet friendly, no extra charge for Lucy! Good luck in your travels.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:54 AM
Veteran member

Perhaps you can get a friend or family member to ride with you, for company and safety. You could offer them a plane ticket home after a fun couple of days.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:19 AM
Sage

AAA planned a trip for me and said that Lumberton, North Carolina was the halfway point. Of course, that is about 9 or 10 hour drive from N.Y. depending on where you are starting from. That will make a two days of long drive.

Travelling with a pet may require two overnight stops. If you belong to AAA, have them plan a trip for you with recommended stops along the way.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 03-12-2013, 09:31 AM
Sage

Here's a link you can get tips from:

Looking for Pet Friendly Motels/Hotels on I95 from NY to FL

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 03-12-2013, 12:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

When I come down I drive straight thru...but that's just me

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.