TV Antenna Not Getting Local Channels

Closed Thread
Old 01-23-2022, 01:41 PM
Default TV Antenna Not Getting Local Channels

We just moved in to Hammock at Fenney and do not have cable yet, so I connected a local antenna and it only picked up a few channels (Court TV, Grit and a couple others), but no local channels. Anyone know why I'm not getting any of the local channels (CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox)? Maybe it's my antenna, but it worked good at my other house. Are there any Hammock residents out there using a local antenna? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I didn't really want to buy cable because we only watch the local channels anyway. Thanks.
Old 01-23-2022, 03:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

Are you sure you have this pointed in the correct direction, towards Orlando, 117 degrees from our house. Do you have an amplifier on the antenna and is it rated for at least 80 miles? Did you rescan your TV after connecting the antenna? I am in Pinellas and reception from Orlando is sketchy at best (there is a building in Leesburg in the way), I have the antenna pointed to Ocala, and get about a dozen stations which sounds like what you are getting. When i was experimenting with Orlando, on a good day i would get 65 channels, 1/3 Spanish, 1/3 religious (etc), and the rest something I would actually watch. There are a couple of websites that have good info on how to aim the antenna and the approximate height required, search on TV reception in my area.
Old 01-23-2022, 06:51 PM
Veteran member

Aim the antenna towards Melbourne, that's where the transmitters are. However they are about 80 miles away. You may need an amplifier on the antenna.
Old 01-23-2022, 07:16 PM
Default Antennas Direct locator

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelvac View Post
We just moved in to Hammock at Fenney and do not have cable yet, so I connected a local antenna and it only picked up a few channels (Court TV, Grit and a couple others), but no local channels. Anyone know why I'm not getting any of the local channels (CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox)? Maybe it's my antenna, but it worked good at my other house. Are there any Hammock residents out there using a local antenna? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I didn't really want to buy cable because we only watch the local channels anyway. Thanks.
This link to Antennas Direct will help you to see the distances of what you are trying to receive. You need a long range antenna as high in the attic as you can get it.

Antennas Direct | TV Transmitter Locator and Mapping Tool
Old 01-23-2022, 07:59 PM

You will need a amplifier (signal booster).
Old 01-23-2022, 10:47 PM
Smile Cason Hammock

I live on Outridge Loop Cason Hammock and pick up all channels with antenna in attic pointed east.Youhave to have amplifier and plugged in to receive them. Sometimes loose signal for a few minutes but always come back.
Old 01-24-2022, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithgerri View Post
I live on Outridge Loop Cason Hammock and pick up all channels with antenna in attic pointed east.Youhave to have amplifier and plugged in to receive them. Sometimes loose signal for a few minutes but always come back.
Hi neighbor! We will be in the Verandas in Cason. Can you please tell me what antenna you're using? We will eventually get cable but won't be full-time for a few months, so it would be great to have some reception until then.
Old 01-24-2022, 06:48 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,774 Times in 3,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzSmith View Post
Hi neighbor! We will be in the Verandas in Cason. Can you please tell me what antenna you're using? We will eventually get cable but won't be full-time for a few months, so it would be great to have some reception until then.
We spent $100 at Best Buy for an amplified (might be $150 now) until we were here more.
Old 01-24-2022, 07:15 AM
Default No Local TV - Antennas Do Not Work

Quote:
We just moved to Fenney, and after purchasing a new antennae, and not getting any local TV stations my husband did not believe me. So, he purchased another new antenna to install in the attic, to no avail. No matter how good the antennae is, you will not get any local TV stations. Disappointing as we do not live in the Villages full time and do not want to pay the price of cable. TV is in the middle of no where. If anyone has additional suggestions I would love to hear them...
Old 01-24-2022, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Does your antenna have a booster? I live in Fenney and I receive ABC, CBS ,NBC and 80 other channels
I had mine installed so I don’t know the brand/type
Send me a message if you want the name of the installer
Old 01-24-2022, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoodwin View Post
We just moved to Fenney, and after purchasing a new antennae, and not getting any local TV stations my husband did not believe me. So, he purchased another new antenna to install in the attic, to no avail. No matter how good the antennae is, you will not get any local TV stations. Disappointing as we do not live in the Villages full time and do not want to pay the price of cable. TV is in the middle of no where. If anyone has additional suggestions I would love to hear them...
I live in Fenney and get all the local channels, and many more.
Old 01-24-2022, 07:53 AM

You need to go to Channel Master on line. The order there Digital Advantage 100 mile outdoor antenna and a signal booster. Mount it as high as you can in the attic pointing it at about 142 degrees toward Orlando. I live in Osceola Hills and get about 70 channels.
Old 01-24-2022, 08:36 AM

Here's a few different questions. I searched available channels using the Antenna Direct link. I noticed multiple channels to the NW, SW, E and SE.

1. Does one antenna pick up in 360 degrees or does it have to be pointed at a specific antenna?

2. Looking at the Gainsville sites, the broadcasting antennas are separated by approximately 10-12 degrees of arc. Can you pick up all those stations by pointing the receiving antenna towards the middle of the cluster?

3. Are there available antennas that you can program to rotate in a direction to point at a specific broadcasting antenna for optimal reception?
Old 01-24-2022, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie66 View Post
Here's a few different questions. I searched available channels using the Antenna Direct link. I noticed multiple channels to the NW, SW, E and SE.

1. Does one antenna pick up in 360 degrees or does it have to be pointed at a specific antenna?

2. Looking at the Gainsville sites, the broadcasting antennas are separated by approximately 10-12 degrees of arc. Can you pick up all those stations by pointing the receiving antenna towards the middle of the cluster?

3. Are there available antennas that you can program to rotate in a direction to point at a specific broadcasting antenna for optimal reception?
Great questions, I would be interested as well
Old 01-24-2022, 08:44 AM
Default Try Sling

If you have a smart TV, a Roku, Amazon Firestick, or Apple TV you could drop cable completely and stream Sling TV or Hulu. There is a monthly charge for using Sling (or Hulu) but that way you would only be paying for one service and yet be able to use it at both your homes.

Also download the app NewsOn so you can watch local "north news" or local Florida news.

Of course, you will need internet service to do this.
Closed Thread

Tags
local, channels, antenna, cable, hammock

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.