Two Homes at Once--Questions

Closed Thread
Old 12-11-2020, 08:18 AM
Veteran member
Default Registration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzyjourneyfan View Post
We just bought a house in The Villages and will be closing in January. We also own a home in Nevada. I will be living in The Villages for approximately 7 months per year until my wife retires. She will be living in our Nevada home for 9 months per year because of her job. We would like to homestead the Florida home because the taxes are more expensive there. From what I have heard, you can only homestead one home--that's fine. My question is what to do with our two cars. Should we register and insure one car in Florida and one in Nevada or can we register both in Florida even though she will be spending 9 months per year in Nevada? Florida car insurance is much cheaper, so we would like to register both cars there. We will appreciate any information that you have to share. Thanks.
Make sure both cars are in both names and then register them both in FL. Be c ause of the length of time you will spend in FL. you are a legal resident.
Old 12-11-2020, 09:01 AM

I just had the same situation last week as I moved here in November. I registered the car that was here in Florida and will leave the car garaged in Illinois on that state. I have spectate insurance policies for each car from each state. I could not register the Illinois car here even if I wanted to because they have to physically look and certify the mileage. Also, insurance here is almost double.
Old 12-11-2020, 10:03 AM

Beware the IRS! If you establish residency in Florida prior to selling in Nevada you could end up paying a full capital gain tax on your Nevada residence. I believe IRS requires your home to be your primary residence at time of sale and for at least 2 of the last 5 years or your gain, if any, will be taxed.

So, if you are planning to establish residence in FL to gain the homestead exemption be very careful and get solid tax advice BEFORE you do it. My two cents.
Old 12-11-2020, 10:07 AM
Default Residency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footer View Post
The day we closed on our house we went to the Annex/Library on Powell and got a new driver's license, registered to vote, applied for our homestead exemption, and registered our car. They go out and inspect the car. We also got a library card. One stop shop.

We had gotten insurance for car and house from The Villages Insurance.

Our Wisconsin house and car are still insured in Wisconsin , which is much cheaper than Florida. The Florida car goes back and forth. Wisconsin car stays in Wisconsin.

To get the homestead exemption we had to give up our Wisconsin exemption, which allowed us to take the state lottery credit on our property taxes. No other benefit.
We needed a letter from our county treasurer to prove we made the change before Florida gave us the exemption.

The 6 month rule does not apply to the homestead exemption, just the state income tax. However, if we work in Wisconsin when we are there we still have to pay Wisconsin state income tax.
Be aware of the IRS rules regarding residency for your primary residence! Very important to understand these rules. We waited until we sold our PA home before establishing residency in Florida so we didn't affect the sale of our primary home in PA. The small advantage of FL residency may be well overshadowed by the tax impact when or if you sell your home in Wisconsin.
Old 12-11-2020, 10:08 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry chappel View Post
Make sure both cars are in both names and then register them both in FL. Be c ause of the length of time you will spend in FL. you are a legal resident.
Why???
Old 12-11-2020, 10:11 AM
Default Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry chappel View Post
It is my understanding that if you register a car in both names, any accident will draw both parties as defendants. We have always registered cars in only one name to at least avoid lawsuits naming us both.

That is especially true in Florida. Have you seen the TV ads?
Old 12-11-2020, 10:14 AM
Default IRS and sale of Primary Residence

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Why???
The IRS grants exemptions on the gain from the sale of a "primary" residence if occupied the required number of years and you can prove it was your primary residence.

If you change residency, prior to selling your "primary" residence, your new address becomes your primary residence and you lose the exemption.

Speak to a good tax advisor prior to making any such decision.
Old 12-11-2020, 10:19 AM

PS: there are ways to avoid a challenge by the IRS regarding where your primary residence is located. But, most require that you are a registered voter, have a driver's license in the state of residence, have your cars registered there and prove you had no intention of changing residency while owning a second home in another location. However, the IRS will look to see where you spent your time. How can they do that? They check your credit cards of course and you need to counter that with the arguments listed above.
Old 12-11-2020, 10:26 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnyce View Post
If you change residency, prior to selling your "primary" residence, your new address becomes your primary residence and you lose the exemption.

100% wrong. Absolutely wrong.

There is a 5 year look-back.
Old 12-11-2020, 10:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

If you have a new car with all the high tech gps and computer gadgetry in it, your whereabouts can be constantly tracked. That data can then be sold to third parties such as insurance companies to be used as a basis to deny a claim for misrepresentation of primary residency. They can also access how many miles you drive each year, how fast you drive, and if you are a hard breaker approaching a stop sign. All of this data can be used when underwriting to access a corresponding risk premium to your policy. Oh, and when the light goes on in your car indicating it needs an oil change, your cell phone will start lighting up with texts offering oil change specials. As we adapt to technology, we are all becoming nothing but living and breathing data points than can be sold to third parties. Watch out, I think I will keep my older Vehichles for as long as possible.
Old 12-11-2020, 10:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

We had the same situation...a home in FL and one in MA. We are both from MA and bought a second home in Fort Lauderdale in 1995...in 2008 I moved my business down there for tax purposes and became a FT Florida resident, although my wife traveled with me every time I came to Florida she elected to remain a resident of MA. We had two cars, the one we kept in FL we registered in FL and I registered to vote in FL. Wife wanted to keep her MA residency for Health Insurance reasons, keep the doctors she had and she was flying up frequently during the winter for elder care support. We were still 'snowbirds'...both of us could work remotely, but also had to travel for business. Back in the 90's you could keep your out of state driver's license and get a "Florida Only" license (no more). You can only have one Homestead that gives you a tax break. There is no tax deduction for homesteading in MA, so I was able to Homestead in FL in 2008. I believe the rule at the time was that if you had a Homestead in another state that reduced your real estate tax you could not homestead in FL unless you cancelled the other. For a few years the State of MA contested why I wasn't filing a joint state tax return with my wife and they wanted verification that I was actually a Floridian...it had nothing to do with how many days I lived in either state....a copy of my FL voting records, valid drivers license, phone bill and water bill was all they needed. We had the option of filing our Federal taxes jointly or married filing separately (which one year was a huge advantage). Car insurance is something that you need to shop around for. I found State Farm to be as expensive as MA was...I now use Triple A and they cut it in half. My wife became a Floridian in 2012, and we simplified our lives by selling our MA property in 2015.

My tax attorney told me not to worry about having an out of state license or out of state plates...the borders between all the states are open

Hopes this helps
Old 12-11-2020, 12:22 PM

Quote:
We just bought a house in The Villages and will be closing in January. We also own a home in Nevada. I will be living in The Villages for approximately 7 months per year until my wife retires. She will be living in our Nevada home for 9 months per year because of her job. We would like to homestead the Florida home because the taxes are more expensive there. From what I have heard, you can only homestead one home--that's fine. My question is what to do with our two cars. Should we register and insure one car in Florida and one in Nevada or can we register both in Florida even though she will be spending 9 months per year in Nevada? Florida car insurance is much cheaper, so we would like to register both cars there. We will appreciate any information that you have to share. Thanks.
Insure everything car and home here ! Use progressive to bundle cars and home. I have a designer home it’s a year old it’s 460-/ yr and car for me is 420-/ 6 months
Homestead you need to do here as well but you won’t see the benefit until 2021. The 25-% tax increase is buried in the millage rate.
Old 12-11-2020, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Make sure your wife keeps her health insurance in Nevada because Florida health insurance won’t be accepted in any other state. They have lousy coverage unless you drink the Kool aid of village ins which is United healthcare. Get all your medical dental and vision done n Nevada. Since you have a residence in Nevada as coverage quality of care here is iffy at best
Old 12-11-2020, 12:30 PM
Default use the phone book

Quote:
Originally Posted by akerwin1909 View Post
I was told yesterday that I have to have a Florida drivers license before homestead can be done here. Has to be done before Jan.
1 of the year you plan to homestead. There’s a whole list of other requirement as well. Tax collectors office has all the info.
You’ll love it here, so worth the effort!
I got the information I needed from the villages phone book. In fact, we got almost all of our moving/residency info from the phone book. The section in the front explains documents required for a DL, auto registration, FL residency, Homestead. Best resource we found.
Old 12-11-2020, 01:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnyce View Post
PS: there are ways to avoid a challenge by the IRS regarding where your primary residence is located. But, most require that you are a registered voter, have a driver's license in the state of residence, have your cars registered there and prove you had no intention of changing residency while owning a second home in another location. However, the IRS will look to see where you spent your time. How can they do that? They check your credit cards of course and you need to counter that with the arguments listed above.
I agree...I was challenged 4 times and providing them with the above documents ended it...but they did it four year in a row before giving up
Closed Thread

Tags
florida, nevada, months, register, year

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.