Two story homes?

Closed Thread
Old 05-16-2021, 05:39 PM
Default Two story homes?

Just curious....I’ve seen a model with an upstairs bonus room but that’s it. Can you customize and add a second story or have a two story vaulted ceilings? Or if buying an existing home, could you renovate and add a second story?
Old 05-16-2021, 06:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

You can call Community Standards (ARC) and ask them for your specific CDD. There is a house close to us that has a second floor over the lanai area, I have never been close enough to see exactly how much is 2 story. Also, there was a story in the online news source about a couple that was rebuilding a fire damaged house to be 2 stories. So to answer your question it appears to be possible but I am going to guess there are a lots hoops to jump through.

PS: The neighbors were NOT happy about the above 2 story house.....
Old 05-16-2021, 07:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,606 Times in 943 Posts

There’s a house on Sweetgum, 3rd or 4th hole, then added a second floor and have a 2 story birdcage -

BUT - check with Architecture review
Old 05-16-2021, 07:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

And fifteen years ago when we first bought here, I thought people could always easily climb stairs.
Old 05-16-2021, 07:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,077 Times in 2,744 Posts

Seniors and single story living go together. One of the things I like about our Villages home (as opposed to our home up north) is that when I get up in the morning I don't have to go down any stairs. Also, when our puppies get old, we don't have to carry them up and down the stairs. When I get up in the morning sometimes I feel like the Tin Man on the wizard of Oz. My knees are crying out for Oil. The only stairway I hope to climb in my future is the stairway to heaven : )
Old 05-16-2021, 10:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,512 Times in 3,105 Posts

I think it'd be pretty neat to see a house with a split-level type home, and a ramp leading up to the second level. There are some pretty amazing modern-architecture homes that have more than one level, but are wheel-chair friendly from top to bottom.
Old 05-17-2021, 05:18 AM
Veteran member
Location: Dhahran, Duesseldorf, Hemel Hempstead, Phoenix, Grand Rapids, Washington DC, and now TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
You can call Community Standards (ARC) and ask them for your specific CDD. There is a house close to us that has a second floor over the lanai area, I have never been close enough to see exactly how much is 2 story. Also, there was a story in the online news source about a couple that was rebuilding a fire damaged house to be 2 stories. So to answer your question it appears to be possible but I am going to guess there are a lots hoops to jump through.

oh man, no no no!

Now, many homes have vaulted ceilings that theoretically I suppose could be done away with and allow a small space upstairs by raising up the overall home by a couple feet. But that would relegate the downstairs to a typical 8' ceiling and take all the class and beauty away.

I'll bet the neighbors weren't happy! That's the kind of thing that can cause a community uproar!
Old 05-17-2021, 05:21 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Seniors and single story living go together. One of the things I like about our Villages home (as opposed to our home up north) is that when I get up in the morning I don't have to go down any stairs. Also, when our puppies get old, we don't have to carry them up and down the stairs. When I get up in the morning sometimes I feel like the Tin Man on the wizard of Oz. My knees are crying out for Oil. The only stairway I hope to climb in my future is the stairway to heaven : )
Obviously, the OP has no ailments or they wouldnt be asking
Old 05-17-2021, 06:10 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,139 Times in 882 Posts

I know I'm still relatively young, but I'm amazed how weakened I felt to deal with my northern home's stairs from not doing any for the whole winter in TV. Stairs are so good for thigh strength. I'll have to try to include some in my 'training' next winter. I know 2 story homes are impossible for some, but could be a strength saver/builder for others.
Old 05-17-2021, 06:22 AM
Veteran member

Other than the townhomes near Spanish Springs and Glenview there are a handful of homes that added second floor areas. I can think of only one true two story. All of the homes I know with a second story with windows back onto a golf course, so they are not looking down into other homes.

Since I’ve seen a few, the ARC must approve some second story additions. I’m not sure how many they reject.
Old 05-17-2021, 06:29 AM

Lol. That was well written!
Old 05-17-2021, 07:08 AM
Platinum member
Wink

[QUOTE=Papa_lecki;1945679]There’s a house on Sweetgum, 3rd or 4th hole, then added a second floor and have a 2 story birdcage -

Overlooking the fourth green.
And there's two at Belle Glade Seminole overlooking second hole green.
The main reason we moved to The Villages from Virginia was to get out of our two story home. My wife and our then fur baby couldn't handle the stairs anymore.
Old 05-17-2021, 07:12 AM
Veteran member
Location: Dhahran, Duesseldorf, Hemel Hempstead, Phoenix, Grand Rapids, Washington DC, and now TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brondrisek View Post
Lol. That was well written!
You realize that a comment should really refence what you are commenting on? Nobody has any idea which comment you are referring to....
Old 05-17-2021, 07:21 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post

Are you referring to the home on Eisenhower Way?
Old 05-17-2021, 07:34 AM

There is a model in the Premier group and there used to a model in the designer that had a second floor.
Closed Thread

Tags
story, add, vaulted, ceilings, buying

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.