Remember when....

Closed Thread
Old 02-10-2011, 09:56 AM
Default Remember when....

You were too young to retire but old enough to be dreaming about it and the light at the end of the tunnel was visible although still faint? That is where I am. This time of year my dreaming is really, really bad. It was 0 this morning in southeastern Michigan. I am 53 and dreaming about retiring. If I whine, my financial adviser tells me to stop whining and get back to work.

I am a long time lurker and first time poster. I want to move to the Villages so badly, I can taste it. I feel like I know so many of you without ever having met you. Crazy, I know.

I would adore living in the Villages. I am a single woman who is creative, funny and very outgoing. I have known about the Villages for about 4 years and even got to briefly visit last spring for an afternoon. Oh, how I loved what little I saw of it.

The funny thing is that I can work from anywhere (fix broken custom computer programs). All I need is a highspeed internet connection and my laptop. So why don't I just move on down? One word. Mom. I am an only child with two siblings and the only one working full time also. Mom is allergic to change and at 85, I think it would be cruel and selfish of me to move her away from her friends just to satisfy my own desires. And I would have to move her, I am her binky. So for now, I am stuck and very envious of you all. But from the bottom on my heart, some day, I am going to be living in the Villages. It is just a matter of time. You have been warned.

Gail in Freezing Southeastern Michigan
Old 02-10-2011, 10:39 AM
Default Time Will Pass Quickly

Gail, don't feel like you are the Lone Ranger!! The hubs and I have been counting down for years and now we are at 749 days until TV forever!!

You are a good daughter to be so loving and considerate of your mother. She has a real treasure in you. Hang in there and come visit as often as you can!! That's what we're doing.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:04 PM
Sage

Gail - We were in a similar, but different, situation. We decided to move to TV, and my widowed mom was 84 and in CA. Our decision to bring her to TV was aided by my abusive sibling who was always after her for money. She left friends in CA and there was a period where she was homesick. She has made new friends here and a lot of her friends in CA have moved or passed away. We live close enough to provide her assistance when needed.

Age doesn't seem to be a factor in friendships here. One can join a group or activity and many different age groups are present and involved. If your mom can travel, you may want to visit and let her see what is available here.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:05 PM
Sage

Gail, welcome to posting on TOTV!!!

Don't feel so bad about things! Pretty soon it'll start warming up, the snow will go away, the sun will shine in MI (well, at least a little bit!) - you'll start feeling better.

You're dealing with a family situation that is similar to what a lot of others have gone through as well. It's admirable you're not taking the "selfish route" - you're making your mother your primary concern which is great. There will come a point in time, though, when you WILL be able to decide what the next step is for your future. You're already starting to plan for it now!

Maybe you can plan a short trip to TV now and then to have more opportunity to look around. That's what we've been able to do for the last few years. It's helping "tide us over" until we're at least able to spend all winter in TV!

Bill
Old 02-10-2011, 12:12 PM

I'm sure when the time is right you will be down here. You can only make that decision when you feel good about it. Your time will come and you will be welcome with open arms. It IS a great place but you have your priorities now so keep checking in here and we'll be waiting for you!!!
Old 02-10-2011, 01:30 PM

Thank you all so much for the encouraging words. This is the worst time of year for me. When the weather improves, it gets easier to live here but winter is miserable. We get a lot of gray days in the winter and it can get on your very last nerve. I hate to even go get my mail some days.

I'm telling you, it may take me a while but I am going to live in the Villages. I think it would be blast and if I am bored, it will be my own darn fault. When I was there last spring, I had on an art to wear jacket that I had made from a sweatshirt. The trolley ladies (as my sales rep called them) took it at one point and ran in the back to show others. They told me I need to teach how to make it a the College. I told them sure, in about 10 years.

I even think I know which model I want to buy (Patio Villa). I go online often and just persue the available property. Not sure I can swing a second house payment but it is fun to look.

I do confess that the logistics of moving across country does scare the ever loving snot out of me.

I promise to not be a stranger. I have learned so many interesting things from this forum and the members.

Thank you again.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:36 PM
Gold member
Default Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnermi View Post
Thank you all so much for the encouraging words. This is the worst time of year for me. When the weather improves, it gets easier to live here but winter is miserable. We get a lot of gray days in the winter and it can get on your very last nerve. I hate to even go get my mail some days.

I'm telling you, it may take me a while but I am going to live in the Villages. I think it would be blast and if I am bored, it will be my own darn fault. When I was there last spring, I had on an art to wear jacket that I had made from a sweatshirt. The trolley ladies (as my sales rep called them) took it at one point and ran in the back to show others. They told me I need to teach how to make it a the College. I told them sure, in about 10 years.

I even think I know which model I want to buy (Patio Villa). I go online often and just persue the available property. Not sure I can swing a second house payment but it is fun to look.

I do confess that the logistics of moving across country does scare the ever loving snot out of me.

I promise to not be a stranger. I have learned so many interesting things from this forum and the members.

Thank you again.
Welcome, welcome, welcome to this forum and to the wonderful people of TOTV. I have no doubt that you will be joining us in paradise. in the meantime our heart goes out to you and wish you a happy resolution to your complications and to ease your heart .
Old 02-12-2011, 08:49 PM
Sage

Another welcome to you. I'm a relative youngster TV wannabee at age 50, but if I could retire and move to TV tomorrow I would. I am also not a fan of winter, so we are in the same boat. You are doing the right thing in taking care of your mom at this time. I keep telling myself that TV will still be there a few years down the road when I can actually set a retirement date. From what I've read on the board, TV will still be building new homes for about the next 4 or 5 years. If you can get away for a week or two, you may want to consider a summer or fall rental. If you plan on living in TV year round, it is probably wise to visit during the summer at least once so you can get a feel for the heat and humidity. But at least you don't have to shovel heat and humidity -- the 21 inches of snow the Chicago area got 11 days ago convinced me of that. Good luck and keep reading TOTV -- I've learned so much by reading the posts the past 10 months.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default There is something so nice about YOU.

Gee I like what I read. I think you are a good caring person and I betcha a lot of fun too.

I just know in my heart (My husband HATES when I start a sentence like that) but I just know this is gonna work out and you will be here soon and very happy too.

I'll put the coffee on.

Hugs for now.

Gracie
Old 02-13-2011, 07:31 AM

I think I would be fine in summer. I actually like hot and sticky weather. Michigan just doesn't get enough of it for my liking. I figure it like this.... In Michigan, we live indoors for most of the year in heat. In Florida, you live in air conditioning but the mornings and evenings are glorious. Of the two, I would rather be having to live with air conditioning.

Just to torment myself, I sometimes look at the recreation schedule for the day and think about what fun activity I could be doing. Also at the Lifelong College offerings to see what I might like to take.

I think when I get to the Villages, I am going to need to really pace myself or I could end up in the hospital with exhaustion!

I am not a golfer but it is never to late to learn. My dad never golfed until he retired at 62 and then fell in love with it and golfed at least 3 times a week.

I love sewing and quilting, playing scrabble, pickleball sounds interesting, jazzercise, line dancing sounds like a ball also and anything else I can stick my nose into. I also look at the available clubs, bird watching, kayaking, gardening, how can anyone be bored down there?

I have always had friends of all ages and actually have preferred to be friends with those older than myself. They always had so much to offer that I could learn from.

One of the best things I ever heard was from a gal well into her 80's that when she got up in the morning, before she set her feet on the floor, would ask herself what she was going to accomplish that day. Don't you just love it? I sure did.

It isn't a case of if I live in the Villages, it is WHEN I live in the Villages. Before I ever visited, people used to ask me why I wanted to move there. I told them I loved the concept.

I am working on figuring out if I can afford a second mortgage right now. Not sure I can but you never know. If not, my dream will just have to wait a while longer and I am holding on tightly to that dream!
Old 02-13-2011, 08:58 AM
Veteran member

We live in Toledo, Ohio, so we understand how you feel about these long, cold, grey winters. This is truly Prozac season in this part of the country. My wife and I are still part timers and we just spent 8 days in our beautiful CYV in Pennecamp. I just hate getting on the plane to come back to Toledo, but soon we will be down there permanently. Hang in there!!
Old 02-14-2011, 08:36 AM

Toledo is about 90 miles south of me. Brostholder, You must get a lot of the same gray weather the Detroit area does. Schamburg, Detroit normally gets what Chicago gets, about 24 hours later. On Tuesday, our low was zero. Yesterday we got above 40 which almost felt balmy in comparison. Friday, the prediction is close to 50. Almost shorts and flip flop weather! I would say bikini weather but my bikini days are behind me unless I want to scare small children and furry animals.

Baylor, if I use your calculation, I have approximate 3,292 days until I can retire at 62. It is yet to be seen if I can move down before that. There are still a whole lot of variables in that one. Your 700 + sounds much better. Wanna trade? :-)

Gracie, you need to be titled the official Embassador of the Villages. This is how long I have been lurking... I can remember when you were posting about moving there. I would love to sit down and have a cup of coffee with you some day. Keep the pot on!
Old 02-15-2011, 07:48 PM
Sage
Default Lived in Detroit area for one year

I lived inthe Detroit area for one year I would rather forget -- 1987 -- in Warren and Troy. I was supposed to get married...but that didn't work out so back to Chicago I went. So I'm somewhat familiar with the Detroit area. Well it's supposed to be 50 tomorrow and close to 60 on Thursday, so a lot more snow will hopefully melt by then, so those temps. may be on your way -- keep your fingers crossed.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.