USAA Bump

Closed Thread
Old 05-03-2021, 06:05 AM

Yikes mine went down 50 %
Old 05-03-2021, 06:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,388 Times in 2,066 Posts

If you haven't already done so, shop around other major insurance companies.

We found that our existing company wanted to charge us about 20% more when we moved to FL but a different national brand wanted charge us 40% less. We're happy paying less here than we were in MD for the same coverage.

Note: I've already accepted that we may have been greatly overpaying for insurance for many years back in MD.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 05-03-2021, 06:22 AM

Yes, we moved from NJ where auto insurance is outrageous. Between that and our homeowner's insurance bundled, FL insurance costs went up almost 50%.
Old 05-03-2021, 06:24 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
Florida is a no fault state. Those that bother to get insurance are paying for every deadbeat out there.
Looks Like Florida legislator is making a move to end the “no fault” law. Per article in The Daily Sun a few days ago.
Old 05-03-2021, 06:24 AM
Default Auto Insurance Higher in TV

When we moved to TV from the Florida Panhandle a few years ago, our insurance premium with USAA jumped 20%.
Old 05-03-2021, 06:49 AM
Veteran member
Location: Dhahran, Duesseldorf, Hemel Hempstead, Phoenix, Grand Rapids, Washington DC, and now TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgiii View Post
Just moved to the villages and called USAA to switch our auto coverage from Virginia to Florida. We have 2 cars: a 2016 RAV4 and a 1995 Miata.

We discovered the same coverage went up 50%!

Are drivers that bad in Florida?

Anyone else have this happen?
We just moved from the Washington DC Metro area. I ended up getting insurance through AAA - a bundle that included Homeowners and car insurance for 3 vehicles and a new golfcart for less that I was paying in MD.

But I ensured the zip code was right. That made a TON of difference.
Old 05-03-2021, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
One thing to consider is that Virginia requires you to have uninsured motorist coverage, but Florida does not. I don't buy the uninsured motorist coverage because I consider it to be mostly redundant with medical insurance. And, I don't want to be required to file a medical claim with my auto insurance company. I think that many people automatically buy the uninsured motorist coverage because they come from a state that requires it, and they don't even understand what it covers and what it doesn't cover. It provides no liability coverage.
Virginia does not require uninsured motorist coverage. They require those who choose not to take it to affirmatively refuse it in writing. The coverage is subsidized by the people who decline to buy insurance and pay a "fine" instead. It is a small fee that buys coverage for the other guy.

Yor medical insurance does not cover lost wages, long term disability, and pain and suffering. It also doesn't cover property damage.

In todays world there are many illegal aliens driving without licenses or insurance. There were and still are many citizens and legal residents who are unlicensed and uninsured or insured for minimum amounts.

I practiced law in Virginia for many years. After representing clients who were seriously injured by uninsured motorists, I increased my liability coverage to 250,000/500,000/50,000 so i could purchase uninsured motorist coverage in the same amounts. The bulk of the cost of insurance is incurred for the first few dollars of coverage and the marginal cost of higher coverage is surprisingly inexpensive.
Old 05-03-2021, 07:14 AM

Virginia must really be for lovers.

Pun aside, no that’s not my experience (rates went down from IL). You should ask the agent/company to explain.
Old 05-03-2021, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
Florida is a no fault state. Those that bother to get insurance are paying for every deadbeat out there.
That brings up a good question. Since Florida is a no-fault state, how do people end up with these large insurance payouts? Is there a difference in coverage if there is injury or death involved? In a number of states, the driver must provide proof of insurance in order to renew their license plates/operator's license, but that apparently isn't the case in this state. It's no wonder there are so many hit and run crashes
Old 05-03-2021, 07:31 AM
Default Florida Insurance Rates

Quote:
Just moved to the villages and called USAA to switch our auto coverage from Virginia to Florida. We have 2 cars: a 2016 RAV4 and a 1995 Miata.

Have you ever heard of the Trial Lawyers Association! I think I just read that at least 25% of Florida drivers have no insurance. It is not a serious crime. So, when you pay your bill understand that the lack of punishment for failing to insure a car is insignificant compared to the premiums and the jails won’t hold them all. Now, who do you think the Trial Lawyers are suing? In many cases, it is most likely your own insurance company under the uninsured or underinsured coverage you maintain. Do you think they are getting settlements from people with no insurance? Really!!!!
Old 05-03-2021, 07:45 AM

Thank you for your realistic view regarding "Florida" drivers! In TV, most drivers are not from Florida, including all the family visitors and look sees who want to check it out.
Old 05-03-2021, 07:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:

We are not with USAA but are ex-New Yorkers. Our insurance in Florida dropped by like 50%. In any case you may want to get quotes from other companies.

As far as reducing your cost, you can choose a higher deductible so you are self insuring till your coverage kicks in.
Old 05-03-2021, 07:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
If you haven't already done so, shop around other major insurance companies.

We found that our existing company wanted to charge us about 20% more when we moved to FL but a different national brand wanted charge us 40% less. We're happy paying less here than we were in MD for the same coverage.

Note: I've already accepted that we may have been greatly overpaying for insurance for many years back in MD.
People tend to think, I've been a loyal customer for xxxxxx years. Insurance is a math game. They will offer you an enticing rate to switch. If, an increase is say 5% if you start at a lower rate it is say 5% of 1,000 vs 5% of 1500. A loyal customer? The difference compounds.

It is a good idea to comparison shop. Just beware, companies are rated by fair, reasonable payouts. Cost can be cheap if they do not pay, fairly if there is a loss.
All the companies are great at cashing your check.
Old 05-03-2021, 08:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,710 Times in 5,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danglanzsr View Post
Virginia does not require uninsured motorist coverage. They require those who choose not to take it to affirmatively refuse it in writing. The coverage is subsidized by the people who decline to buy insurance and pay a "fine" instead. It is a small fee that buys coverage for the other guy.

Yor medical insurance does not cover lost wages, long term disability, and pain and suffering. It also doesn't cover property damage.

In todays world there are many illegal aliens driving without licenses or insurance. There were and still are many citizens and legal residents who are unlicensed and uninsured or insured for minimum amounts.

I practiced law in Virginia for many years. After representing clients who were seriously injured by uninsured motorists, I increased my liability coverage to 250,000/500,000/50,000 so i could purchase uninsured motorist coverage in the same amounts. The bulk of the cost of insurance is incurred for the first few dollars of coverage and the marginal cost of higher coverage is surprisingly inexpensive.
It is my understanding that you can opt out of any auto insurance in Virginia, but you must pay a $500 annual fee and then you have no coverage at all. But, if you have insurance, it must include uninsured motorist coverage.

My point about UM coverage is that, most people who have it, don't have enough coverage to pay for lost wages, disability, and pain and suffering. For example, if you only have $25,000 in UM coverage, it will barely cover a hospital bill, and who wants to sue their own insurance company for less than $25,000 in pain and suffering? Most people already have medical insurance, liability, and collision coverage to pay medical bills and to repair their car. So, the UM coverage is mostly redundant. Also, I think that many people don't realize that the UM coverage does not provide any liability coverage. I have a very large amount of liability coverage, but I don't see any reason to pay for the uninsured motorist insurance, especially if you are retired. My opinion.
Old 05-03-2021, 08:15 AM

#1uninsured state
Closed Thread

Tags
usaa, florida, coverage, 50%, drivers

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.