Is the Villages as great as I hear

Closed Thread
Old 02-14-2015, 10:49 PM
Default Is the Villages as great as I hear

A friend of mine was just down 2 weeks ago and got sold on the entire idea and bought a $700k home. He's trying to sell me on the entire package, home, lifestyle etc to get me to move down from Myrtle Beach.
Where I'm stuck is If this idea has worked so well can someone explain to me why nobody else has been able to duplicate what's been done?
I also understand that these a bond that needs to be paid off. Is this something that's included with your real estate taxs and thus tax deductible as far as my friends at the IRS are concerned?
Ken
Old 02-14-2015, 11:24 PM
Sage

This might wet your appetite for more information.
click here
Old 02-14-2015, 11:40 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

It really is pretty remarkable. Most of the people are friendly, the community is very clean, your economic-social status is pretty much irrelevant, there are enough activities to keep you occupied seven days a week from at least seven am to nine pm. So, I'd say yes, The Villages deserves the hype. It ain't perfect, but it is definitely pretty darn good.

As to the bond, no, it is not tax deductible. You can purchase a preowned house where the bond is paid off or at least paid down.

As to why it hasn't been duplicated, who knows. Some have tried but not quite succeeded. The surrounding retirement communities all use being close to TV and its stores and facilities as part of their sales pitch. That, to me, speaks volumes.

However, the only way for you to understand this community is to come and visit yourself. Talk to people, go out and about a lot, visit the town squares, look at some houses. I think you'll see why most of us are so enamored with TV.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-14-2015, 11:40 PM
Gold member
Location: Philadelphia & Lower Gwynedd, PA, Ocean City, NJ, Wesley Chapel, FL and The Village of St. James

The bond is paid with your county property taxes, although listed separately on the bill. It is NOT tax deductible though. Sorry!!!!
Old 02-15-2015, 01:17 AM

Perhaps your friend is just expressing how great he feels the Villages are. And perhaps he has been searching for quite some time and finally found a place where all his personal needs are met, not trying to "convince" you to move there. You should investigate all it has to offers and make your own informed decision. Once you have visited, you will know fairly quickly if the "lifestyle" is for you. Maybe not as quickly as you friend did. Good luck.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:56 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,342 Posts

YES! Come stay a while.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I never wanted to live in Florida.(I did like to vacation here.) I never EVER expected to be so wowed by a place ever.

There is NO catch, which is what I thought when I first came here.

The bond is simply the cost of the infrastructure that is included in the price of homes up north. For example. A new designer home is listed at $270K? just add 24K on for the real price of the home. You can pay off the bond at closing or pay on it like taxes.

It is run so well, because the developers have worked very hard to think of the best solutions and have high standards for planning and maintenance. It is a wonderful example of free enterprise working wonderfully well.

The common area structures are painted yearly and the streets are free of debris in a way I have NEVER seen anywhere else anywhere. The squares are whimsical and lovely to see. The rec centers are decorated in expensive and beautiful things, each with it's own scheme and there are dozens of rec centers. They have pools for youngsters visiting and those for only above thirty years, and all of the water is sparkling and clean and everything is very, very well designed and beautiful.

There are literally thousands of clubs and activities and opportunities to learn and experience things that we didn't have time to enjoy before. The art classes are filled with wonderfully talented people and just beginners. We have several bands and orchestras made up of enormously talented people. We have the Village Voices that is the most beautiful sound I have ever heard.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...F4EE20A8B6B655

I am a huge fan and a very happy villager.

AND I don't work for the developer.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:14 AM
Sage

This reminds me of a scripture. Eye has not nor ear heard nor entered into the heart of man what God has prepared for those who love him....
The villages is not something you can imagine or believe on someone else's knowing.
You must come get the knowing for yourself.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,178 Times in 834 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygilchrist View Post
This reminds me of a scripture. Eye has not nor ear heard nor entered into the heart of man what God has prepared for those who love him....
The villages is not something you can imagine or believe on someone else's knowing.
You must come get the knowing for yourself.
from my religious education, scriptural Knowing has a meaning that gets you jailed for six months in this county
know someone in the biblical sense - Wiktionary
Old 02-15-2015, 10:45 AM
Veteran member

It's special. I have lived in Florida (grew up in Key West) most of my life and there is nothing else in the state that compares as far as lifestyle.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Some one will always try to help, some one will share your joys and sometimes sadness, and sometimes they leave the light on for you . Come stay and experience for yourself.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:54 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenkard View Post
A friend of mine was just down 2 weeks ago and got sold on the entire idea and bought a $700k home. He's trying to sell me on the entire package, home, lifestyle etc to get me to move down from Myrtle Beach.
Where I'm stuck is If this idea has worked so well can someone explain to me why nobody else has been able to duplicate what's been done?

I also understand that these a bond that needs to be paid off. Is this something that's included with your real estate taxs and thus tax deductible as far as my friends at the IRS are concerned?
Ken
There aren't enough words that will convince you to move here until you come and see TV for yourself. Most people don't believe anything, when someone tells them, how wonderful, it is here.......

It is not perfect but as close as you will ever get........

IMHO - Other developers may have tried to replicate this place but it's never been duplicated, because they have fallen way short of Gary Morse's vision. I can't really say why because Gary's vision was just so great and it's residents are extremely grateful as he built such a beautiful place, where older folks can live in a community where one feels they are getting younger everyday, with it's myriad of activities. Gary and his family members thought of just about everything, in planning, an almost perfect community....

TV doesn't need anyone to promote itself, as there are 110,000 residents that love it here, minus a few "crancky pants". We all can't be wrong.

BTW - I don't work for the developer, either.......

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 02-15-2015, 10:55 AM
Email Reported As Spam

The people are for the most part nice
Old 02-15-2015, 11:02 AM
Eternal Member

It's an awesome place to live. We've been here 15 years and love it !!
Old 02-15-2015, 11:14 AM
Sage

Is the Villages as great as I hear?

"GREATER"!!!!

One last thought. The best thing I like about TV is it makes me feel like I am back in the 50's where people seem to care more about their neighbors, and it's community.

There are many wonderful people here!!!

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.