Is the Villages as great as I hear

Closed Thread
Old 02-15-2015, 01:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I think most people who move to a retirement community will think there's is the best. Could be for them. Before you buy rent for a few months.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
It really is pretty remarkable. Most of the people are friendly, the community is very clean, your economic-social status is pretty much irrelevant, there are enough activities to keep you occupied seven days a week from at least seven am to nine pm. So, I'd say yes, The Villages deserves the hype. It ain't perfect, but it is definitely pretty darn good.

As to the bond, no, it is not tax deductible. You can purchase a preowned house where the bond is paid off or at least paid down.

As to why it hasn't been duplicated, who knows. Some have tried but not quite succeeded. The surrounding retirement communities all use being close to TV and its stores and facilities as part of their sales pitch. That, to me, speaks volumes.

However, the only way for you to understand this community is to come and
visit yourself. Talk to people, go out and about a lot, visit the town squares, look at some houses. I think you'll see why most of us are so enamored with TV.
Redwitch, that is a great explanation, honest opinion, fair and balanced.
Very nice!!
Old 02-15-2015, 02:37 PM

I love it and I think those who love it share certain characteristics. If you are outgoing, optimistic, active and enjoy a sense of community, it's wonderful. If you have always belonged to clubs and groups, this is your place. I have friends who are classic introverts and I don't think The Villages would suit them. It would be interesting to do a survey of Myers-Briggs personality types and how they fare here.
Old 02-15-2015, 04:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
from my religious education, scriptural Knowing has a meaning that gets you jailed for six months in this county
know someone in the biblical sense - Wiktionary

Anyone who reads this forum knows Kitty and knows she is sincere.

I believe that she was affirming her love of The Villages in her way.

I think your post was unnecessary.
Old 02-15-2015, 04:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
Is the Villages as great as I hear?

"GREATER"!!!!

One last thought. The best thing I like about TV is it makes me feel like I am back in the 50's where people seem to care more about their neighbors, and it's community.

There are many wonderful people here!!!
bump
Old 02-15-2015, 04:59 PM
Sage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Anyone who reads this forum knows Kitty and knows she is sincere.

I believe that she was affirming her love of The Villages in her way.

I think your post was unnecessary.
I second your sentiment Gracie . Thanks for taking the time to think how our kind , most gracious and extremely generous Kittie might feel from such an unwarranted remark being directed her way .
Old 02-15-2015, 05:29 PM

My wife and I always said we would NEVER live in FLORIDA. You won't like it, the weather is terrible and the ice and snow never ends, the people are mean and unfriendly. There is nothing to do, nowhere to go, few restaurants, have to drive forever to get to a golf course. No... You wouldn't like it.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:55 AM
Platinum member

I, like Gracie, was not big on Florida. I was more intrigued by Arizona. My wife and I resolved to visit several different retirement communities. We visited The Villages first. We were blown away and bought a lot to build right then. Never went to the other visits and never regretted it. It's the LIFESTYLE! Come and spend a week and make your own decision. :-)
Old 02-16-2015, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedwards38 View Post
I, like Gracie, was not big on Florida. I was more intrigued by Arizona. My wife and I resolved to visit several different retirement communities. We visited The Villages first. We were blown away and bought a lot to build right then. Never went to the other visits and never regretted it. It's the LIFESTYLE! Come and spend a week and make your own decision. :-)
The same for me. I had planned to visit several states before deciding on the place that I wanted to retire. I rented a house in The Villages this winter and three weeks after arriving, I bought a home. I guess I'll never get to experience retirement in Texas, New Mexico, or Arizona.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:15 AM

We spent three winters visiting retirement areas in North and South Carolina, Texas, Arizona, and New Mexico. We both said we would NEVER live in Florida. My wife's brother was staying in Zephyrhills each winter, so in 2012 we went to visit him for a week. On a whim one day, we decided to drive up and see The Villages. We came across 466, crossed the bridge and entered Lake Sumter Landing. It was lunchtime and we found a parking space near Subway. We got sandwiches but there was no place to sit inside. We walked outside, and a man and woman said, "Sit with us. There's room." We talked about dogs, and grandchildren, and family. They were from New York state... we were from New Hampshire. They seemed really nice and friendly, and told us this was the best place they'd ever lived.

After lunch we walked up the street to the square, wandered around and looked out at the water. An hour had passed since we first arrived. We hadn't seen any homes yet, but I turned to Linda and said, "I think we've found it. We've found the place to retire." She responded with, "I was just about to say that."

We went back to Zephyrhills for a few days, thought about it, and talked about it, then drove up to The Villages again. The second time it was just as nice as the first time. We talked to people who were friendly and praised the place. We met Jim McLaughlin in the Lake Sumter sales office. He drove us around and showed us a few houses in different price ranges. We went back to New Hampshire, and put our house up for sale.

It sold, and we returned homeless in the fall. Jim showed us more homes and in October we bought a new house in Charlotte, closed on my birthday, November 13th., and have not regretted our decision for a minute.

There is no way to describe The Villages in words. Even pictures don't do it. You have to visit here and see for yourself. Stay a day... a week... a month. The longer you stay here the more difficult it is to leave.

No, I don't work for the developer, either.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:10 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck90199 View Post
We spent three winters visiting retirement areas in North and South Carolina, Texas, Arizona, and New Mexico. We both said we would NEVER live in Florida. My wife's brother was staying in Zephyrhills each winter, so in 2012 we went to visit him for a week. On a whim one day, we decided to drive up and see The Villages. We came across 466, crossed the bridge and entered Lake Sumter Landing. It was lunchtime and we found a parking space near Subway. We got sandwiches but there was no place to sit inside. We walked outside, and a man and woman said, "Sit with us. There's room." We talked about dogs, and grandchildren, and family. They were from New York state... we were from New Hampshire. They seemed really nice and friendly, and told us this was the best place they'd ever lived.

After lunch we walked up the street to the square, wandered around and looked out at the water. An hour had passed since we first arrived. We hadn't seen any homes yet, but I turned to Linda and said, "I think we've found it. We've found the place to retire." She responded with, "I was just about to say that."

We went back to Zephyrhills for a few days, thought about it, and talked about it, then drove up to The Villages again. The second time it was just as nice as the first time. We talked to people who were friendly and praised the place. We met Jim McLaughlin in the Lake Sumter sales office. He drove us around and showed us a few houses in different price ranges. We went back to New Hampshire, and put our house up for sale.

It sold, and we returned homeless in the fall. Jim showed us more homes and in October we bought a new house in Charlotte, closed on my birthday, November 13th., and have not regretted our decision for a minute.

There is no way to describe The Villages in words. Even pictures don't do it. You have to visit here and see for yourself. Stay a day... a week... a month. The longer you stay here the more difficult it is to leave.

No, I don't work for the developer, either.
Original Poster Ken, this is a testimonial above that can be told by thousands of people here, not just people who came from the frozen, expensive North, but by people who left Hilton Head and other coastal Carolinas places, too. Cost of living and especially, things to do other than golf and fry on the beach, are a couple of big reasons people come.

Best thing to do is the Lifestyle Preview Plan so you can LIVE it, not be "sold" it. There is no pressure nor sales pitches. The developers have been very wise about letting TV sell itself. THAT is why nobody else has been able to duplicate it! They lived as we did.....born into working for a living and living within their means in order to get ahead in the long term. That provides insight to the buyers and residents as no other method would.

See lifestyle preview plan at The Villages - Florida's Friendliest Retirement Hometown - New Home Sales, Home Resales, Build Your Dream Home, Brownwood Paddock Square It fills up fast.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,563 Times in 509 Posts

I too had my reservations about TV; heck, an old cotton and soybean farm boy and retired LEO from Arkansas living around a bunch of rich folk in Florida? My wife, on the other hand, had been everywhere with her DOJ position and could feel at ease with anyone. We had both seen the video and thought "Nope, too rich for our blood". Then, one night back in August, we watched the Golf Channel segment and decided to make the trip there; with me all the while thinking "Nope, too rich for our blood".

Wow, was we surprised! We soon found that, even though there were the "entitled rich", there were many, many common folk just like us. We did the Lifestyle Visit and made the decision that this was where we were going to retire. Bear in mind, we had purchased a lot (8 years ago) on a golf course in Bella Vista, AR to build our retirement home. But, we then realized, that in Arkansas when you get through playing golf, you go home and stare at 4 walls; we didn't want to grow old doing that.

We drank the Kool-Aid, went back to KC and bought our home ONLINE (yep, we never saw it but our realtor looked at it and said it was immaculate), the 1st week of November and closed on it the week of Thanksgiving; we'll be there full time (at least my wife will, I'll be in KC until our home here sells) starting 3/1. We are so looking forward to "living the dream".
Old 03-12-2015, 02:16 PM
Default Villages a great place move on with life...

This was our 3rd trip to the Villages and each time we really enjoyed ourselves. This time we decided it was time to call it "home" and purchased a home in "Bonnybrook" we are going back to Mi to sell and pack up what is left and return to our new home here at the Villages. We are sure it won't be perfect as nothing is, but, confident we will enjoy our new lifestyle.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:41 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vzw1pr View Post
This was our 3rd trip to the Villages and each time we really enjoyed ourselves. This time we decided it was time to call it "home" and purchased a home in "Bonnybrook" we are going back to Mi to sell and pack up what is left and return to our new home here at the Villages. We are sure it won't be perfect as nothing is, but, confident we will enjoy our new lifestyle.
Congratulations. There's no place like TV!
Old 03-12-2015, 04:05 PM

No matter how excited your friend is, or how he waxes poetic, or how much people tell you about The Villages, you can't comprehend it until you experience it. Come, stay as long as you can, do everything you might want to try. It's even better when you live here and vacation never ends! There are homes and neighborhoods for every person and every pocketbook. Take your time choosing your location. Get near the things you enjoy most. Then live it!

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.