The Villages Under 55?

Closed Thread
Old 08-05-2021, 12:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,912 Times in 2,445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTourVan View Post
First off thank you for this wonderful forum full of great information.

My wife and I started looking for homes in the Villages this year for my in laws. Our plan to purchase for them and let them retire and enjoy the life that this area offers. In our two lifestyle visits to the area, we have really enjoyed it.

What we have come to realize is that we might be the people that like it a bit more than them. We play golf, like golf carts, enjoy dining out and work from home as we are both self employed. I am just south of 50 years old and my wife is a bit younger than that.

The question I have is, while I know the laws allow a small percentage of under of the age of 55 people to buy and live, what about the lifestyle? Would we feel out of place or looked at differently for being younger? Could we be involved in clubs or activities?

Not sure it is something we would consider with the inflated costs currently, but something we have been discussing and wanted to get residents thoughts on the matter.

Anyone can buy here. You think going to turn down anyone that qualified for loan or has cash ? Nobody knows the numbers. But, it looks good on paper.
Old 08-05-2021, 01:53 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,601 Times in 940 Posts

Here you go

South of Sixty - Home
Old 08-05-2021, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTourVan View Post
First off thank you for this wonderful forum full of great information.

My wife and I started looking for homes in the Villages this year for my in laws. Our plan to purchase for them and let them retire and enjoy the life that this area offers. In our two lifestyle visits to the area, we have really enjoyed it.

What we have come to realize is that we might be the people that like it a bit more than them. We play golf, like golf carts, enjoy dining out and work from home as we are both self employed. I am just south of 50 years old and my wife is a bit younger than that.

The question I have is, while I know the laws allow a small percentage of under of the age of 55 people to buy and live, what about the lifestyle? Would we feel out of place or looked at differently for being younger? Could we be involved in clubs or activities?

Not sure it is something we would consider with the inflated costs currently, but something we have been discussing and wanted to get residents thoughts on the matter.
that was my first thought too, when I was looking to move here. I was 60 yrs at that time. The answer is no, you will not feel out of place. The average age from what I've seen is 65. More people are retiring out at 55 and moving here. Most people that move here no matter what age, are extremely active life style people. Not your average. 3,000 activities to choose, all different active levels. We do have people under 55 and they generate to their groups. I would suggest to do a life style visit, or rent for a couple of months (if you can) get the feel of the place for comfort. .. A little note: when I first came here, went out side early to pick up my paper.... wth..... zooom 3 people flew by me on their bikes, geeez don't they have coffee first...?? then I looked up again... zoooommmm roller blading right by me... wth???, then later on... zoooommmm joggers..... wth???? its only 7o am... as I said very active , baseball teams, fishing, water skiing, scuba diving... the question you should ask yourself... can YOU keep up with them no matter what age, this will keep you young.... enjoy the adventure.... Disney is 1.5 hrs away and cruising ports....

Last edited by Rose Ann Vinci Igoe; 08-05-2021 at 02:04 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-05-2021, 02:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Anyone can buy here. You think going to turn down anyone that qualified for loan or has cash ������? Nobody knows the numbers. But, it looks good on paper.
That is incorrect. The numbers are watched...Kids under 19 can't live here.

The Fair Housing Act: Housing for Older Persons | HUD.gov / U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)
Old 08-05-2021, 03:06 PM

Come on down. Lose the “ up north” attitude if you have one. All are welcome that keep a friendly smile
Old 08-05-2021, 03:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neils View Post
Come on down. Lose the “ up north” attitude if you have one. All are welcome that keep a friendly smile
You can't have it both ways.

If I have my "up north attitude" and keep the friendly smile, am I "welcome" or not? If not, then this isn't really the friendliest town, and my attitude is justified. If so, then I'm welcome even with my up north attitude.
Old 08-05-2021, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neils View Post
I’m from FL, live in Nashville and still have a place in FL. Not sure which is North but I can say there are more North there than where I live. Haha
Old 08-05-2021, 09:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,912 Times in 2,445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
That is incorrect. The numbers are watched...Kids under 19 can't live here.

The Fair Housing Act: Housing for Older Persons | HUD.gov / U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)

Anybody over 19.
Old 08-05-2021, 11:36 PM

Seriously consider one of the four family friendly neighborhoods. Similar homes to TV with younger residents and kids. It is largely Village employees, but not exclusively.
Old 08-05-2021, 11:40 PM

Yes some people under 55 move in here. The rule is up to 20% Maybe under 55; not must be. No one under 19 can live here. The Villages charter schools are for the children of employees NOT for residents.
Old 08-06-2021, 04:18 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Fake News
They told me i had to be 55 when I was looking. I mean I do look younger but they told me right up front. Though my neighbor is 38, I asked how she bought and said her business partner bought it.
Old 08-06-2021, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerk View Post
Seriously consider one of the four family friendly neighborhoods. Similar homes to TV with younger residents and kids. It is largely Village employees, but not exclusively.
Out of curiosity, why? We do not have children and would look to this to be part of TV, whereas these neighborhoods are not.
Old 08-06-2021, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Golf you say. Golf is our name, and golf is our game here...but it is probably NOT the same atmosphere of Golf you had before. We really don't have "Country Club Golf" and leagues and stuff like we used to. The Ambassadors are not the "boom lowering" sort and so slow play is spoken to but not harshly. There are some mighty fine golfers here, no mistake and they are just as passionate (almost) as those on the tour, Van..

And don't EVER, ever, ever, ever in any instance, let that white hair fool ya.
While we are members of a country club now, working in golf and living in the golf lifestyle, I think my wife will attest to the fact that perhaps other activities would be just as good.

Slow play is the bane of my existence, and I hate hearing that it is a concern, because it is very easy to fix with proper guidance. Although telling someone they are slow when they don't believe they are is also the bane of my existence haha.

As to play level, I am no tour pro. In fact far from it. Equipment "expert" maybe, but outside of that, just love the game like Villagers do.
Old 08-06-2021, 07:30 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,769 Times in 3,637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevision View Post
They told me i had to be 55 when I was looking..
"They"..........well they are wrong.
Old 08-06-2021, 09:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevision View Post
They told me i had to be 55 when I was looking. I mean I do look younger but they told me right up front. Though my neighbor is 38, I asked how she bought and said her business partner bought it.
If her business partner lives in the house as well, then it's totally legit. Only ONE person living in the house needs to be 55 or older. And that applies only to 80% of the homes. For the other 20% of the homes, the rule is they have to be 19 years old or older, but 19-year-olds cannot use the adult pools, and are not allowed to play on any Villages-specific organized competitive sports teams.
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, area, enjoy, people, bit

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.